PItney Bowes broke bisque doll's leg in shipping

I bought a vintage doll from Britain

it took ages to arrive and it came through Pitney Bowes. When I picked the parcel up I heard an ominous clatter. The doll had been repacked and had been floating around upside down in the box for 9,000+ miles.

One of her legs was broken,

I think that I may be able to get a replacement leg as this was a very popular doll produced in great numbers

the rest of the doll is OK

if I open a case for her, she will have to be returned and then will be destroyed

I can't understand why ebay uses this shipping company, many buyers have found fragile items ruined by Pitney Bowes

what should I do

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: PItney Bowes broke bisque doll's leg in shipping

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You are the only one who can decide what you want to do.   Just make sure you contact the seller before you open a dispute.

If you do end up returning the doll for a full refund it is up to the seller what happens to it.  She may feel it is worth getting the doll back and replacing the leg herself.

You could ask for a partial refund to replace the leg.

Whatever the outcome, if you are happy with how the seller has handled it you should leave positive feedback.   It is not the seller's fault that Pitney Bowes is incompetent.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@kaiserin-auguste-viktoria wrote:

I can't understand why ebay uses this shipping company, many buyers have found fragile items ruined by Pitney Bowes

what should I do

Maybe stop buying from any seller that uses PB as they are known for repacking items (many times a seller

has packaged it correctly but then for some reason PB has repacked it and taken package material out).

Initially the thought was they were reducing the weight of the package to save on postage but with PB

anything could be possible to allow them to get a greater return.stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

@kaiserin-auguste-viktoria wrote:

I bought a vintage doll from Britain

it took ages to arrive and it came through Pitney Bowes. When I picked the parcel up I heard an ominous clatter. The doll had been repacked and had been floating around upside down in the box for 9,000+ miles.

One of her legs was broken,

I think that I may be able to get a replacement leg as this was a very popular doll produced in great numbers

the rest of the doll is OK

if I open a case for her, she will have to be returned and then will be destroyed

what should I do

Hi kaiserin-auguste-viktoria, I'm very sorry to hear what happened to you. I hope that you can source a replacement.  I too have had an item damaged by Pitney Bowes and the cavalier packing. A very rare item from a deceased estate. Luckily there was a 2nd copy of this rare DVD set and the seller at her own expense replaced it for me. Also on another occasion,some ultra rare sealed video tapes were poorly repacked but luicikly surved the journey.

Pitney Bowes causes many problems.The repacking is an invasion of privacy. In addition to being damaged which we have heard multiple account of, there is also the risk of theft and confiscation. Sometimes confiscation without explanation. This is disgusting.

In your case, kaiserin-auguste-viktoria, Pitney Bowes should be issuing you with a letter of apology. Now you have lost time and being inconvinenced. Many people fail to understand this!

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Hi 4channel, I'm sorry to hear what happened to you,

Spoiler
 Not really,  but I'm sick of hearing about it

Again......where's the advice that will help the OP?

PB is never gunna issue an apology.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

But stawks, doesn't it give you the warm and fuzzies to hear about the very rare item that the seller was able to replace immediately?

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Lyndal, it gives me something, but I don't think it's warm and fuzzy.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Most certainly warm,but not the good type of warm

Spoiler
More the Imodium type of warm
Spoiler

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Hi 4channel, I'm sorry to hear what happened to you,

Spoiler
 Not really,  but I'm sick of hearing about it

Spoiler

zzzzzzz zzzzz zzzzzz

Spoiler

snore

@imastawka wrote:

Again......where's the advice that will help the OP?

PB is never gunna issue an apology.

You first

They should

@lyndal1838 wrote:

But stawks, doesn't it give you the warm and fuzzies to hear about the very rare item that the seller was able to replace immediately?

Lyndal my sweet, the seller had an extra copy of the rare item. She took care of me at her own expense.  I have never seen any more of this particular dvd box set elswere. And as I said  .. ..   It was from a deceased estate. Seller had 2 or 3 copies of this very rare and very limited edition item. I was very lucky.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Lyndal my sweet, the seller had an extra copy of the rare item. She took care of me at her own expense.  I have never seen any more of this particular dvd box set elswere. And as I said  .. ..   It was from a deceased estate. Seller had 2 or 3 copies of this very rare and very limited edition item. I was very lu

So you keep telling anyone who will listen.

And I am not your sweet, thank goodness.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply