PItney Bowes broke bisque doll's leg in shipping

I bought a vintage doll from Britain

it took ages to arrive and it came through Pitney Bowes. When I picked the parcel up I heard an ominous clatter. The doll had been repacked and had been floating around upside down in the box for 9,000+ miles.

One of her legs was broken,

I think that I may be able to get a replacement leg as this was a very popular doll produced in great numbers

the rest of the doll is OK

if I open a case for her, she will have to be returned and then will be destroyed

I can't understand why ebay uses this shipping company, many buyers have found fragile items ruined by Pitney Bowes

what should I do

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: PItney Bowes broke bisque doll's leg in shipping

@4channel wrote:

@imastawka wrote:

Hi 4channel, I'm sorry to hear what happened to you,

Spoiler
 Not really,  but I'm sick of hearing about it

Spoiler

zzzzzzz zzzzz zzzzzz

Spoiler

snore

@imastawka wrote:

Again......where's the advice that will help the OP?

PB is never gunna issue an apology.

You first

They should

I have no advice for the OP, it's already been given.

Offering sympathy doesn't help the problem.

They won't.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Yes I am wondering if the reason for the conistently bad packaging by PB is to  reduce the weight of the pre-aaid for package,

no fully sentient person in their right mind would pack items the way Pitney Bowes does ... it is anti-logic unless it is about reducing the weight

sometimes things are reboxed even

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

The way i see it, I think you have a few options here but as lyndal said, it will be your choice.

How much do you want to keep the doll? Would you be very disappointed if you did have to return it?

The first thing I'd do if I were you is quickly start checking if in fact a replacement leg is readily available and how much that is likely to cost. That could affect your decision.

Then contact the seller with the photo. I am presuming that if they use PB and PB do the repacking, then PB must give them some sort of protection against these sorts of claims or take on some responsibility (but I don't really know). If that is the case though, the seller might have to refer it to PB for resolution.

If you would prefer a partial refund, no harm in asking if that is possible.

If they are not happy to do that, I'd say you'd have no problems with an 'item not as described' claim. You'd get a full refund but might have to return the doll. Which, if replacement legs are hard to come by, might be your best option.

But if you really want to keep the doll and all that is on offer is a full refund on return, then you do have the option to just keep it. But see if you can source a spare leg first.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply