Paying by Bank Deposit (Money Transfer)

Has anyone noticed that, starting sometime in the last few months, when you choose to pay by Bank Deposit (I think it might now be labelled Money Transfer), you have to commit to paying by that method before you are shown the bank account details of the seller? Previously, the seller's account details could be viewed before being locked-in to that choice and you could go back if you changed your mind about which payment method to use.

The reason I mention this is that I prefer to pay by Bank Deposit if the seller and I are with the same bank (in this case, the Commonwealth). With this bank and, I would imagine, most others, the deposit will often show up very soon in the seller's account - it might not clear for a day, but it will usually show up very quickly if it doesn't need to be transferred between different banks. Now the only way to find out which bank the seller is with before committing to pay is if it is mentioned in the auction listing - not many sellers do that.

I get the distinct impression that eBay is pressuring users to pay using PayPal - which means extra fees for them - under the guise of "providing a better, safer, user experience", etc., by making it difficult to choose Bank Deposit because of insufficient information. If they were really serious about providing a better user experience, they would allow users the freedom to make their choices without feeling constrained to do things the way eBay prefers. I know that eBay does not offer buyer protection if I pay by Bank Deposit but I would still like to be able to choose that form of payment without difficulty. I did contact eBay about this a while ago but, of course, I received no response at all. In my opinion, the best way to alienate and lose customers is to ignore them and make them feel insignificant. So much of what we hear and read about eBay is complaints - few positive comments are made. But I suppose that as long as they are making their money, they don't care about the people who provide that money.

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Paying by Bank Deposit (Money Transfer)

@richy0072007 wrote:

Honestly mate,if you pay by direct deposit it is only a matter of time before you get stung.Last year i was ripped off $2,115 paying by this method.I researched the seller before depositing the money into his account and even spoke to seller on the phone.He complained about the PayPal fees and i felt sorry for the guy and that was how i was repaid.If the item is not posted you have not a leg to stand on.Ebay will not be interested in your loss of money and neither will the police or any other legal department.I have not seen a cent to this day and although his website has been taken down i presume he is still ripping unsuspecting people of even now...If you choose to keep using this method,good luck to you.You will need it...Cheers

Did you report the seller to ACORN, as was suggested months ago?

Message 31 of 36
Latest reply

Correct I’m having all sort of issues with them. Because Australia Post didn’t do their job properly and deliver all my packages when they were supposed to be delivered losing some of them I suffered the consequences from eBay For it as they had put penalties on my ratings are cleaning it was out of my control as there was people there but still on them selves to ruin my account because of that I have for the last six months been trying to work on fixing my account up because eBay charges me such high fees however they make it absolutely impossible to get it back to normal within a decent Time frame they seem to think that they can hold it against you for the whole year which is totally unfair on the other day I offered somebody a PayPal option and ever since then I’ve been not selling anything and when I went to look for my ads on eBay I have over 100 ads I couldn’t find not one of them but yet I’m not on no suspension or anything every time I seem to speak to them They either end the conversation because they know that I’m either right or they just can’t answer the question. Clearly I know that they have done something for the account because how can I make over for the $800 a week before and now all of a sudden I’m making zero and not being able to find any of my ads that’s even more saying that they have done something has anybody else had this sort of problem most people tell me they just get banned or suspended however I think they’re punishing me on a different level

Message 32 of 36
Latest reply

Yes I totally agree with what you’re saying you should be allowed to pay anyway you want to pay because at the moment just taking control of everybody’s money before it hits the bank account which if I’m not wrong is illegal they have even reimbursed people their money back after they receive their items then when I tell them or I appeal what they have done they tell me to buy the final Institute has made the decision how can they make a decision of getting somebody’s money to somebody For no reason whatsoever clearly there is a tracking number and it shows that it’s been delivered but yet they made the mistake of refunding the money and now won’t fix the problem they dump it back on you so for buyers it might be somewhat safer for sellers it is absolutely not

Message 33 of 36
Latest reply

eBay does not care about their buyers or their sellers because if they did they wouldn’t rip people off and I’ve been ripped off by them several times By them and all they keep doing is helping my buyers never ever the seller even if the sellers in the right they always say that the buyers Pretty much only covered

Message 34 of 36
Latest reply

Somewhat very disappointing and hurtful especially to people that make such effort towards the eBay shops and get disrespected the way they do.

Message 35 of 36
Latest reply

Your post is not only a reply to a complaint made TEN years ago, it is also irrelevant.

Sellers no longer have the option to choose how buyers pay - they pay eBay (Adyen) and the funds are then disbursed.

Save the paragraph.

Message 36 of 36
Latest reply