Paying for express post and receiving items regular post instead!

I'm really annoyed with sellers who list and charge for express post shipping to end up sending items via regular post.  I'm dealing with one of these sellers atm.   I waited 8 days and contacted the seller, who said that the express shipping was a listing mistake and that the item was sent via regular post last Thursday.  I really feel that it's not my problem that she made a listing mistake, and as a occassional seller myself I would stand by my mistake and post as I've listed.  My annoyance is that this is around the fourth or fifth time this year already!  What kind of feedback do you leave for these sellers??  I feel terrible leaving negative feedback for anyone, but I'm getting so sick of the laziness of quite a few sellers these days, and especially when I am someone who pays straight away. Grr, think just needed to vent! 🙂

Message 1 of 60
Latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Spirit, remember that Express post is the method of postage, not the time frame in which the seller actually posts the item.

In saying that, if the seller does specify Express post, then regardless of how long it takes them to post the item, when they do it should be by Express post.

Feedback is your perspective of the transaction, so the dot colour and comment should be a true and accurate reflection of this - but please remember to remain objective and base your rating on only this transaction, not any others - 

Remember though that you can also use the DSR stars to give a further indication of your transaction experience.\

Have you asked the seller for a refund on the difference between the postage prices for the service they used?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 60
Latest reply

Hi spirit,

I know it's annoying to receive something by regular mail after paying for Express - but at least you have received it!

Difference in money is not really that great, refunding and mucking around is probably more trouble that it's worth - and the item itself was probably cheaper than in the stores (just guessing here) - so leave it alone.

If you even think of giving seller a neg just for that - think again.

What would you give a real shonk then - 3 negs?

Trouble with Ebay shopping is that everyone is so ready, at the drop of the hat to jump down seller's throats for tiniest little mistakes, the sort that mean nothing in real life - and not eveident on any other web site shopping I have ever seen!

People will advise you here to leave a neg, trash their stars, ask for refund - all this for couple of bucks!

What is going on with the world?

Message 3 of 60
Latest reply

Thank for your postive response 🙂  I wouldn't want to leave a negative because after all I still get my item at the end of the day, thats why I wasn't sure what kind of feedback to leave.  Think I was just venting because it's been several times now, and wondered if it's been happening to other customers out there. Only once I've been refunded the difference. Usually I just leave it because it's not worth the hassle.  It's just not something I would do to my customers that's all 🙂

Message 4 of 60
Latest reply

Absolutely agree spirit - no seller would do that deliberatelly to their customers, must be an oversight (easy to do when you use one listing as template for many others, easy to overlook previous details and even harder to pick up on mistakes later).

It would be almost too hard to believe that some sellers would do it on purpose - unless they were brain dead - as they would hardly get rich any time soon with such piddly amounts

Message 5 of 60
Latest reply

I wouldn't leave the seller negative as you got the item. Leave negative feedback to the really bad sellers who lie about their goods or disappear without trace and don't send the goods.Woman Mad I've had a few of them.

But boy oh boy, I would be annoyed too.

You have a couple of options here.

You can give neutral and just say the item was excellent but you were disappointed the ad said express postage and it was sent regular postage.

Or you can give positive feedback and say much the same thing.

In either case, I would only give them one star for postage. Plus mark them down to 2 or 3 stars for their description.

And if that sounds vindictive, do you know the pivotal reason I would mark those stars right down?

The seller's attitude.

That seller didn't apologise, didn't explain, just basically told you they made a mistake, too bad, so sad. And only told you once you queried them.

Mark them down on communication, too.Woman Mad

Message 6 of 60
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member

I will be completely honest here, it is an easy mistake especially when you use the eBay app to write down addresses. My recommendation would be to message the buyer straight after paying that you have chosen for Express Shipping - that way there is no confusion. I would estimate less than 5% of our sales are express so you tend to assume it is always regular postage. 

Message 7 of 60
Latest reply

You know, if a seller explained the query as you have and said sorry, my mistake but I didn't realise  etc, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I might feel a little disappointed the item wasn't as fast arriving, but I wouldn't overly worry and my feedback would be good (if I liked the item).

But the way the buyer explained it, it sounded as if the seller said it was a mistake in the listing and it 'shouldn't have' said express.

Now that would be annoying to me personally because maybe the seller didn't mean to leave in the words express post.

But the fact is, they did.

So many little problems can be headed off at the pass with good communication.

I can still remember the one and only time I ever gave negative feedback. A seller had sold us concert tickets but when we drove 30 minutes away to pick them up, they weren't for the date advertised, he had made a mistake in the listing. I decided not to give any feedback as it was an honest mistake.

Then the next week I opened up my ebay to find he had put in an unpaid items dispute against me! I was absolutely livid, fuming. I gave him negative feedback on the spot, plus replied to the dispute. He rang me up, very upset, couldn't understand why I wouldn't withdraw the negative as it was a mistake, he had forgotten what had happened with the tickets. But I replied that if he had just emailed first and asked when i was paying, before launching into a dispute without asking, I could have cleared it up.

Communication is everything. Well, it helps, anyway.Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 60
Latest reply

crikey*mate
I agree with you if the seller made it clear in the listing that they only post on certain days or twice a week etc or if they just list express post but even that can be annoying. Had this happen recently, express post was listed and the item was posted express but about 5 days after payment. It did annoy me a little but because I wasn't in a hurry to receive it I didn't mark down for it.

On the other hand if you have an option to pay more for express post, you expect by selecting this option and paying more for it that the item will be posted quickly (unless otherwise listed).  I mean what is the point of express post if not to get your item quicker?
Sellers offering express should keep this in mind.

Message 9 of 60
Latest reply

Trish, all due respect, but you are putting forth a subjective approach to interpreting the listing. Fast delivery may be what you expect, but that's not what the seller is offering. The seller is specifying what postage method they will use when they get around to posting the item. You cannot blame a selller for your interpretation of what something "should" mean. The seller is only responsible for what they say, not what you understand, interpret or expect.

Just think, if it took the seller a whole week to get the item to the PO, then Express Post would still get the item to you more quickly than if they send it Standard mail.

In summary, Express Post is just the specified method of delivery, not the time frame in which the seller takes to get the item to the post office. It is Australia Post who makes the claims about speed of delivery once they receive the item, not the seller.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 10 of 60
Latest reply