Possible Scam

osaan41
Community Member

Hey guys,

Just wanted your feedback. I think I may have been scammed.. 

Saw a PS5 ad online, messaged the person, looks like he only accepted bank transfer. I was messaging him back constantly, I checked his reviews, he's been a member since 2007. I've transferred the funds, that was yesterday afternoon, he confirmed he will post for delivery once he has the funds. 

I haven't heard from him since.. 

Have I been scammed :(?

Thanks

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Possible Scam

It certainly sounds like it on the surface

Can you post the item number?

He cannot only accept bank transfer, sellers HAVE to offer a safe payment method, if he told you otherwise, that is a big red flag

A person can't have reviews, reviews are for products

He may have 100% feedback, but how much of it is as a seller ? when was their last sale?

It is *possible* for it to be a hijacked account

How many does he have for sale?

Very similar post not long ago but this seller had joined in 2011

Same story though 

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Ask-a-member/Purchased-something-but-have-a-bad-feeling-about-this/...

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Possible Scam

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your response. 

The item no is: 333838162056

It looks like he had a quantity of 4 for sale. 

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

Possible Scam

Not looking good, their sales were all a year or more ago

And only a handful of their feedback is as a seller

The fact they insist on bank transfer only in the listing could have got them reported as it is against eBay rules

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

Possible Scam

*Too late to edit to add

That being said, and although they are red flags to me, bank transfer is'nt instant and their was the weekend with the 'extra' day yesterday  for boxing day falling on a Saturday

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

Possible Scam

I'm guttered, not sure what to do. 

It looks like the funds have left my account unfortunately.. 

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

Possible Scam

Game consoles are a honey pot for SCAMMERS and buyers abound. Been going on for years. CitiBank BSB by any chance ?

"If it's too good to be true...." - you know the rest.
Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Possible Scam

cezm
Community Member

@osaan41 wrote:

Hey guys,

Just wanted your feedback. I think I may have been scammed.. 

Saw a PS5 ad online, messaged the person, looks like he only accepted bank transfer. I was messaging him back constantly, I checked his reviews, he's been a member since 2007. I've transferred the funds, that was yesterday afternoon, he confirmed he will post for delivery once he has the funds. 

I haven't heard from him since.. 

Have I been scammed :(?

Thanks

The seller has sold high priced items before and received positive feedback for them, so you may be ok.

I would report them for not offering a safe payment method but I would wait to see if they post first, allowing time for the money to hit their bank account. If they are honeat about having the item, I'd like to see it in the mail before I pinged them off

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

Possible Scam

Well don't leave us in suspense, let us know "if in fact" the item is posted.
Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

Possible Scam

It is not possible for a seller to only accept bank desposit - they HAVE to offer a safe method of payment, ie: Paypal.

Unfortunately, I don't think you will see your item.

I woild definitely contact your bank ASAP and tell them you think you have been scammed - see if they can do anything.

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply