Possible Scam

osaan41
Community Member

Hey guys,

Just wanted your feedback. I think I may have been scammed.. 

Saw a PS5 ad online, messaged the person, looks like he only accepted bank transfer. I was messaging him back constantly, I checked his reviews, he's been a member since 2007. I've transferred the funds, that was yesterday afternoon, he confirmed he will post for delivery once he has the funds. 

I haven't heard from him since.. 

Have I been scammed :(?

Thanks

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Possible Scam

Hallmarks of a possibly a hijacked account especially at the three peak days of the year and one feedback for a low value item purchase last month.

Got to love the Christmas tree photo and they got 10 ?

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

Possible Scam

@south.coffee wrote:

Got to love the Christmas tree photo and they got 10 ?

Next year they'll be able to afford 9ct gold ornaments on that tree...............

Spoiler
...........though the money will most likely have been spent on illicit drugs by then..............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

Possible Scam

The link the OP left, one buyer bought 2 of the 4. A 0 feedback buyer. Another had 2 feedback, and the other 107. I feel so sorry for those people that have been scammed, including the OP. They wouldn't know that a seller has to offer a safe payment method, so blindly bought. The poor bugger that bought 2, what a huge loss. So sad for everyone. A very expensive lesson.

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

Possible Scam

You Probably have been scammed we had the same problem ,purchased a PS5 from a seller with an account dating back to 2010 paid by direct deposit and that was the last we heard from him, no PS5 and no refund. Ebay were no help according to them we were not covered by the guarantee even though the order details had it written on them "money back guarantee". a week later he had 3 neg feedback all saying the same thing of being scammed. now for some reason ebay has removed all the negative feedback from him.

Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

Possible Scam

Sorry this happened.

A seller can write anything on an order or in their description - your first red flag would have been paying via bank deposit, especially for an item that is completely out of stock everywhere in the world.

Doesn't matter how old a sellers account is - Ebay cannot possible refund you as there is no way of proving payment.

You have thousands of feedback yourself and would know that this is the least safest method of payment.

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

Possible Scam

a week later he had 3 neg feedback all saying the same thing of being scammed. now for some reason ebay has removed all the negative feedback from him.

Possibly the account was hijacked; the actual account owner may be another victim of the scammer.

Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

Possible Scam

@0420*whitaker,

• Do not pay by direct deposit.
  • Do not buy from a seller whose feedback shows it's been a dormant account for a while or has been primarily a buyer, and who then suddenly starts selling high-ticket items that are in huge demand.
  • Read the eBay Money Back Guarantee policy. It specifically states that you're not covered if you pay by bank transfer/direct debit, cash, Western Union, and so on. Protect yourself by paying by debit or credit card, or via PayPal (with your funding source being your debit or credit card), so that you have several options if things go wrong.

1.  Your first line of defence is opening a request for refund on eBay. This is buyer protection under eBay's Money Back Guarantee.
2.  If your eBay MBG is not successful (for instance, if it's just over the time limit), your second line of defence is opening a request for refund through PayPal, under their Buyer Protection. You have six months from the transaction date to open the request.
3.  In the event of even your PayPal request for refund being unsuccessful, you have two options.

Ask your card provider (usually your bank) to do a chargeback; or

Make a complaint (against PayPal) to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority.

As you can see, successful recouping of money depends upon your being wise in your payment method.

The only times that I use bank transfer is when I have good reason to do so. For instance, our plumber does a job, sends me the invoice with his bank details, and I make the payment. No risk is involved; I know him, he's done the work, and there's not a P5 in sight.

I'm sorry that you ended up losing your money; it is an expensive lesson and I know it would be very frustrating for you as there's no remedy to recoup your money.

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

Possible Scam

I agree Countess. I only ever do bank transfer to people I have actually met, like the guy who does my garden, or the guy who services my husbands bike. Would never send a bank transfer to a random person on Ebay and especially not for a PS5.

Sadly, this OP is not the first one on these board in the past few weeks who has been taken for a ride as they are impatient to wait for the product to be in stock. I too, am looking forward to getting my hands on one of these, but will only buy it from a reputable B&M store.

Message 28 of 28
Latest reply