Purchased something but have a bad feeling about this

anno-46
Community Member
So I purchased a ps5 and for the payment on eBay it said to pay through bank transfer and so I talked to the guy and I paid through bank transfer and then he said he will ship it out the day after. I'm not sure if he is scamming me because he has 100% positive feedback on eBay and has been a member since 2011, and also the item has been deleted so I'm not sure if that is bad or not, but I'm just hoping that my parcel still comes because I want the ps5 so bad, could someone give me a second opinion please and thanks ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Purchased something but have a bad feeling about this

Why oh why give a stranger so much money over the internet ???

Surely you have heard to always pay by PayPal, otherwise not a hope in the world of getting your money back.

image host
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

anno-46
Community Member
It said on eBay as a payment method "Bank Transfer" like it has that stated for payment on the page about the ps5, I have screenshots and stuff to show
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

All the screenshots in the world won't get your money back I'm sorry to say.

There's a better than even chance that you won't get the PS5 and you won't get your money back.

Edit. G'day Dave............and of course Kopes.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

You are at the mercy of the seller.

eBay doesn't cover direct bank deposit, nor does your bank.

For future reference NEVER pay by DD unless you don't mind losing your money or you trust the seller (ie have purchased from them before). I get the occasional DD from people who don't know me, but they tend to be low value and I'm honest. That doesn't necessarily apply to other sellers selling desirable, scarce items, who can take your money with impunity if you're using DD. A red dot is unlikely to deter tham.

Ask yourself. Was the risk worth the potential reward? Do you REALLY need a PS5, or do you just want one? Do you have heaps of PS5 games that won't retro-play?

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

For further information, including nearly all of the pitfalls of using DD -

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Is-seller-violating-policy-not-telling-ebay-have-paid-for-it...

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

anno-46
Community Member
Then why did it say "Direct transfer of money" for a payment method, I'm so confused.
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Because sellers are allowed to specify it.

It doesn't make it safe, and it definitely isn't covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee. So you are at the mercy of the seller.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@anno-46 wrote:
Then why did it say "Direct transfer of money" for a payment method, I'm so confused.

Just like me saying "Give me cash when you pick it up".

I can have that as a payment method in my listings.

As said, just because someone puts it as a payment method doesn't mean it has any protection nor that they are not a scammer.

The internet is full of scammers.

image host
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@anno-46 wrote:

Sellers can include direct deposit as a payment method and they can even state it is their prefered payment method, but they can not force or in anyway compel a buyer to use it and they must offer a safe alternative

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply