Postage Piracy or eBay Checkout Error

Im trying to buy 727756-001 SPS-SERVICE DOOR 13.3 however as you can see in the listing, the postage cost says $51.60 USD ($71.89 AUD + GST).
This item measures small enough to fit in an envelope so why should the seller expect so much for postage?

I sent the seller a message asking if what is the price to Australia and got the response saying...

"We only offer the shipping options and rates that are provided at time of checkout. eBay is setup as an automated process for us and we have no way to change the shipping rates. Thank you!"
So, is this postage piracy? Or really an eBay error.
Im thinking along the lines that the seller hasnt entered the correct measurements into the eBay system knowing they can make a huige profit on postage.
I am not able to find this item anywhere else and I dont feel its right for sellers to do this.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Postage Piracy or eBay Checkout Error

I have allready stated parcel rates from USA to AUS.  Go to USPS and calculate.  enter the details of your item as per USPS requirements, remember to select Destination  Australia.  In any event, it is the sellers choice which level of service they wish to use.

I assume the level of service being provided via this particular seller is  priority express  cost  $67  less business discount

Also note  AUS  to  USA  parcel is  0 - 1kg          USPS  USA  to  AUS  is  0 - 4lb

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

@bjmonty28 wrote:

So, parcel, Aus to USA is only $24.00 AUD.
Parcel USA to Aus should be cheaper.

It depends on the service the seller is using - if you look up the pricing on USPS, it's clear that priority rates are very expensive, even for smaller and light weight items (eg the DVD sized box is still around the $37 USD mark, and it's one of the cheaper ones). 

The seller doesn't dictate USPS pricing, but they do select which postage service is used - it's not postage piracy if the actual cost is within the realm of what they're charging. They might be using calculated postage which sets the price according to the dimensions and service they selected, which in turn could be what they meant when they said they don't enter the cost themselves, and can't change it. 

That would mean it's neither postage piracy, nor an eBay checkout error - hardly fair to have reported them or got eBay to investigate them for that. TBH if I decided I was going to send all my stuff within Australia as parcels, for whatever reason I deemed necessary, I'd be mightily peeved if someone reported me for charging an appropriate price for that just because they thought it was small enough to be sent as a letter. 

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

@bjmonty28 wrote:

So, parcel, Aus to USA is only $24.00 AUD.
Parcel USA to Aus should be cheaper.

Why?

Different countries. different postal services. different prices.

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

I think he is working on the USD being Higher, so apparently that would equate to the charge being less than $24 AUD.

Either that or it is downhill or tailwind from USA to AUS

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

Quite possibly, but as I said, different services have different costs.

It is quite unrealistic to assume that the USA and Australia are going to charge the same (or less) to send mail to the other country when the services are so different.

Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

It is quite unrealistic to assume that the USA and Australia are going to charge the same (or less) to send mail to the other country when the services are so different.

I had a buyer in the US wanting to return something (change of mind), they sent a message complaining it cost $14 to return because she paid less than $3 (US) for my postage, and asked me why it cost more for her to send it back (she also asked if I would refund the postage costs). 

Sometimes I wish I could send memes, or even just a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  in reply... Smiley Embarassed

Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

The little girl in the pink jacket would be a good meme for that

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply