Postage Piracy or eBay Checkout Error

Im trying to buy 727756-001 SPS-SERVICE DOOR 13.3 however as you can see in the listing, the postage cost says $51.60 USD ($71.89 AUD + GST).
This item measures small enough to fit in an envelope so why should the seller expect so much for postage?

I sent the seller a message asking if what is the price to Australia and got the response saying...

"We only offer the shipping options and rates that are provided at time of checkout. eBay is setup as an automated process for us and we have no way to change the shipping rates. Thank you!"
So, is this postage piracy? Or really an eBay error.
Im thinking along the lines that the seller hasnt entered the correct measurements into the eBay system knowing they can make a huige profit on postage.
I am not able to find this item anywhere else and I dont feel its right for sellers to do this.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

And when you go to the sellers  website they are charging even more for stuff this size !!!!!

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

It might be becuase they've entered the dimensions and weight wrong, but I see they're using Priority Mail which might be the same as Express Post.

Or maybe it also includes tracking?

Does seem pretty high for a small part though.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

Well they have entered incorrect dimensions etc on all of their ebay listings, and all their website items.
eBay have opened an investigation and have found multiple issues they are going to act on with this seller.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

They do have one neutral feedback that says that they received a small part in a big box and all their listings

seem to have the high postage charge (so maybe they use a certain size box for all or most smaller items).Who knows.gif

Going by feedback they are a bit dodgy anyway (eg: wrong/broken/missing parts,less data,etc),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

Due to the postage cost I think you will find this is why they have one in stock.

If you know someone that has a US mail forwarder or try something like Aust. Post Shopmate and this may work out slightly cheaper. 

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

The minimum charge for international parcels, is usually  set at  1kg rate, no matter what the actual size is.   So most sellers will

box/bulk up small items to reduce the risk of loss.  They may also be including handling and insurance fees.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

As it's available in Australia for a bit under $100 (plus post) for a new one, they're possibly padding the postage a bit to make up for the fact that their refurbished one is so cheap.

They probably only send priority so that you have to sign for it, which means bulking it up to the minimum size for parcels (as has already been said).

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

Thanks E1,

I just cant see what they dont slide it into a small padded envelope and add tracking surely it would only be like $15.00 USD.
All their website items like this have extremely higher freight to Oz too. Far out.
Not sure about using forwarding service. Might not end up much cheaper.
Lets see what the eBay investigation brings.

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

You say you can't find this item anywhere else, but a quick google search turns up a few.

Aussie price is around the $90 mark plus postage.

The item you're looking at is $6.95?

Have I got that right?

Seems too cheap to be right.   Plus postage is still cheaper.

And why would ebay investigate a seller for quoting the correct postage?

Ebay don't care.  They still get their % of the postage.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply