Postage times

hi* I purchased some seeds on the 16/7 and they posted them on the 27/7.

I received the seeds on the 4/8 , its fine as I can't plant them now anyway.

However there're getting a few negs over it.

They keep saying please read their postage and handling policy!!!.

Well I've been all over their so called handling policy and I can't see it.

Is it something to do with eBay's postage and handling policies.    

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Postage times

Why can't you plant them?

A few days surely wouldn't be a plant killer. Given that planting times even 10 years ago are no longer applicable.

Or save them and plant them next year. Saves having to read seller handling times. Doesn't help with manufactured outrage, which seems to be what you have.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

I tend to pay 10 seconds after I commit to buy. Most of my sellers tend to post within a day or two out of appreciation of not having to wait for payment I am assuming. To be honest I would be a bit miffed if I had to wait 10/11 days for postage to happen. Its only ever happened to me once or twice that I remember so no real biggy really.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

@addsomevintage wrote:

hi* I purchased some seeds on the 16/7 and they posted them on the 27/7.

I received the seeds on the 4/8 , its fine as I can't plant them now anyway.

However there're getting a few negs over it.

They keep saying please read their postage and handling policy!!!.

Well I've been all over their so called handling policy and I can't see it.

Is it something to do with eBay's postage and handling policies.    

Yep, I am not surprised they are copping negs or neutrals.

Obviously, a buyer should be able to see when the estimated arrival date is. However, in most cases, items arrive before an estimated date. I've read here of sellers who give themselves eg a 5 day handling time as a safety measure but usually post next day.

The reality is we live in a different world to the online buying world of a decade ago. The seller is hitting his head against a brick wall. Not all buyers are going to look specifically in the postage and handling section, a lot would miss seeing it. No one is going to be happy waiting 11 days after payment before it is even posted. They may grudgingly buy because maybe that's the only seller with that item or the best price, but they won't be happy about a long delay. It's perfectly legitimate for them to comment in feedback about a negative part of the buying experience, what they thought the seller wasn't particularly good at.

I recently ordered a photobook on an online site (not ebay of course). That had to be printed before it could be sent yet it was still delivered within the week. Normal postage, not express.

I ordered an umbrella off an ebay seller, normal postage, here within 2 or 3 days.

10 business days is just too long on a platform such as ebay, where you're going to get flak. An overseas purchase, yes, most buyers know they have to wait for that, but if a seller can't post a normal item within 5 days of receiving payment, in my book they should probably get off ebay till they can get their act together..

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

Harsh, Springy

Read my previous comment

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

Geez Springyzone, those are harsh words. I have a 10 day handling time. I still try to post within 2 days, but a recent sale it took 9 days for me to post because life happened to get in the way. It happens. If a seller has a 10 day handling time, then they have 10 days to post. Period. They shouldn't be told to get off ebay and get their act together because they didn't post within 5 days. Did you know you can actually have a handling time of 30 days?

As it was, my buyer was stoked because they looked at the ETA and their item still arrived before the first ETA date and were happy. Not all buyers are idiots. Some happen to take notice of the ETA dates, even if they don't look at the handling time.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

I read all the comments and yes, I know it is harsh but I think it's indicative of the world we live in now. 

I think buyers can understand (sometimes, depending on the buyer) that postage might be a bit slow, but a lot of people get a bit toey if something is still unposted 11 days after payment.

I think addsomevintage falls into that category and was less than impressed with the timeline.

He also added that the sellers were copping a bit of flak. All I said was I was not surprised.  I know about long timelines.

Some years back I bought a book from an Aussie seller which had a 30 day or more delivery date. They had it on all their books. Obviously drop shipped. Their feedback was a complete sea of negs and neutrals, they were slammed over and over for the 'ridiculous' delivery time.

I do understand that sometimes life can get in the way, perhaps someone has a health crisis etc. This would affect a smaller seller rather than one of the big companies. All I can say is in the situation, I'd be inclined to message a buyer and say that normally I had things posted within 2 days despite a handling time of eg 10 days but unfortunately had taken 9 this time because of illness or whatever. However, it was in the post and should still arrive by ETA. That way, a buyer knows what is going on.

I think the key to S&D's experiences is that she normally posts within a couple of days. That's a pivotal point because I think many buyers might see an ETA but they won't always see the handling time. It's in the ad but an extra click. A lot of buyers just don't do that. What they will see on their 'My ebay' section though is the date the item is posted and if it is done within a few days, they have peace of mind.

I am not saying a person with a 10 day handling time is a 'bad' seller if they take 8 or 9 days to post off occasionally. Just that I think , regardless of handling time, most sellers should do as S & D does and aim to get their stuff off within 5 days if they can, if they want to lead a hassle free ebay life.

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

Given that most buyers wouldn't click on the postage tab, I have it in my description that items will be posted within 10 days, but usually within 2. I have never had a neg or dinged stars for postage times, even if it does blow out to 8 or 9 days occasionally.

As for contacting the buyer, if a health crisis hits, it's the last thing on your mind. Oh hang on ambos, I know you're currently doing CPR on my husband and you want to get him to hospital, but we can't leave yet because I have to contact an ebay buyer about their purchase. They purchased yesterday, and despite having a 10 day handling time, apparently it's expected that I have to post last week. Pfft. Not that that was my issue (thankfully!), just saying.

If I get a neg, I really don't care. If you post within your handling time and you get a neg regarding slow to post, ebay will remove it.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

s_and_d, that buffer is common sense when you’ve experienced someone you love teetering on the edge of life.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

s_and_d, that buffer is common sense when you’ve experienced someone you love teetering on the edge of life.

My wordy lordy yes! I work weird hours, plus sometimes have to go away. It stops me stressing about having to move mountains because someone bought, I'm out of the area, and I have a handling time of one day. The best thing about having a long handling time is, buyers are stoked when their items arrives well before the first ETA!

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply