Price gouging from reselling house hold items

I recently purchased what I thought was 2 x 12 1.25lt bottles of dry ginger ale for $24.10, good price I thought. When it arrived, I received a box with 2 bottles in it. I assumed there was an issue with my order and a mistake has accord. When I checked, REMOVED has a listing for Kirks 1.25 Dry Ginger Ale for $12.10 for a single bottle. This retails for less then $1.50. Also in their listing they have a FREE returns policy but when I contacted the sell, they refused to cover the return costs for my 2 bottles of soft drink that I've paid $24.10 for.

Is ebay monitoring these sellers and is IGA really doing this to their customers?

Returns Policy of their listing.

FREE returns within 30 days of purchase. Please contact us should you have received the incorrect item or it has arrived damaged for assistance.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I know nothing about the product.

However the listing says it is for 1 (one) bottle.

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Firstly, I didn’t even know one could do their grocery shopping on eBay 😏

Secondly: the listing clearly states 1 bottle. 

Thirdly:  OMG 😳 

How damn expensive are they? And why are people paying those prices? 

I’m not sure how you would go with a eBay refund case….. you made a mistake thinking it was 12 bottles when in fact, it’s not. 
The item arrived undamaged  and as described. 

I don’t know what else to suggest. Chalk it up to a bad buying decision I guess.

This seller has woeful feedback, should have been a red flag to you. 

Buy from a real store is my only suggestion, moving forward. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

I can't see which ad you bought from. When I looked up your feedback given, I could not see a link to that ad. And it doesn't look as if the seller has given you any feedback yet.

When I just clicked on your link to the seller's ebay site, I was faced with a sea of products so I searched specifically for ads for kirks ginger ale 1.25 litre size.

I was faced with a bewildering range of prices. I will show you some screen shots. I have deliberately cut out any mention of the seller but it is the same one you talked about, okay.

It looks to me as if the seller is testing out whether people are more inclined to buy with free postage or if a set $.8.95 deivery fee works better.

Perhaps prices have changed since you bought, but if you received 2 bottles, it should not have cost you more than $14.25, delivered according to current ads.

A 12 pack is $42.90.

Definitely a lot cheaper the more you buy, as buying a single bottle or two is very expensive. All I can say is perhaps it is aimed at country folk who don't live near a supermarket.

I am not sure how you'll do with a free return as that applies only if the product is faulty. That isn't the case.

You could try messaging them to ask why yours cost $24.10 for 2 bottles when their ads show it much cheaper. Take a screenshot.

Apart from that, enjoy them, they are certainly priced like wine. And just be really careful buying grocery products on ebay. There's a much better site for that where you'll pay normal prices or cheaper.

ebay ginger ale 2.PNGebay ginger ale shot.PNG

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Springyzone, you can see the ad by looking at the negative that the OP left for the seller. I have no idea why they thought they were getting 2 lots of 12 bottles, when the ad clearly states it's for one bottle, as already mentioned. I checked the revisions and there hasn't been changes to the ad since June, so not like they suddenly changed it after the OP complained.

I'd like to see a screenshot of the actual ad the OP bought from (not the current listing, because they can change since purchase). Maybe we are missing something, but I doubt it.

What scared me was, seeing that people are buying Surprise Peas for $5.36 and $8.95 postage!!! 63 people have paid an insane amount of money for them!

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

You could try a not as described citing the company’s “about us” spiel where they state “lowest possible prices”

“Shop Australia s largest range of grocery items delivered to your door at the lowest possible prices. With over 50,000 products of all the best brands you know, love and trust!

Learn more”

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

@*sons_and_daughters* wrote:

Springyzone, you can see the ad by looking at the negative that the OP left for the seller.

What scared me was, seeing that people are buying Surprise Peas for $5.36 and $8.95 postage!!! 63 people have paid an insane amount of money for them!

That's what I thought too s& d. Maybe I am doing something wrong as when I checked out the feedback the OP left for the seller, this is what I got (screenshot below).

I've scrubbed out the identity of the seller but what I was expecting to see was an item number or description underneath of item bought.

I could click on the seller name of course but it just took me to their general page, not to any particular ad, which is why I wasn't sure which ad they bought from.

I am with you on the high price of some items. I was reading an article online though about prices in some remote location up in NT I think it was, where milk, for eg, was an absolutely insane price, as was coffee. I don't know how anyone up there affords to live. Maybe that would be the only sort of place that might find the grocery prices online acceptable.

People with disabilities would be better buying direct from the supermarkets for delivery than from ebay. Or as I said, there is another online site that sells groceries at more reasonable prices, although whether it includes remote locations, not sure. 

ebay ga FB.png

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

I just had a browse through the company's negative feedback reviews. Apart from cancelling orders because of being out of stock, the second most common complaint seems to be that buyers are not receiving the quantity they were expecting.

I think the problem comes down to their labels of eg '2 pack' or '10 pack'. Buyers are expecting 10 packets or two packets when in fact the ad is for one pack that contains eg 2 chews or 10 oxo cubes.

We can say the buyers are just not reading properly but when there is potential for this amount of confusion by multiple buyers, the seller should probably tweak the ads to make things crystal clear.

Their feedback score is only 96.9%, which isn't marvellous.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

One of the biggest issues, with any listing, IMO, is buyers are NOT reading the entire listing details.  
They see 10pack oxo stock cubes and think wow…. 10packets. But in the blurb, it clearly states one packet containing 10 stock cubes.  

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if folk learned how to shop with their brains instead of their eyes 😒

I wonder where this OP lives that buying groceries off eBay is even an option? 🤔

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

As people often say here, free postage is not really free. The listing for your item is a clear example. The price is the price for the item + postage. If they combine postage, it would have been better to select the listing with the price for the item ($2.20) + postage that they also have, as you would have paid for postage only once, but if you select free postage for multiple items, in reality you pay for postage for every item.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply