Refund of UK VAT charged on item purchased from UK seller with Australian delivery address

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Refund of UK VAT charged on item purchased from UK seller with Australian delivery address

Hmmmmโ€ฆ. I donโ€™t know what youโ€™re saying ๐Ÿค”

Are you asking us, or telling us? ๐Ÿ˜‘

How about you get back to us with some more information, and be specific about what this thread is about.

We are not eBay, this is just a discussion board, but the members here can help steer you in the right direction. 

Iโ€™ll kudo the OP to bring them back. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Re: Refund of UK VAT charged on item purchased from UK seller with Australian delivery address

I seem to recall a while back, that the applicable GST on purchases from the UK, was showing as VAT instead of GST.  If that is still the case then you wont be getting a refund, and in any case no one here will be granting you a refund.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Hello janeababe. I'm asking for advice/help about how I can get a refund on the VAT which was included in the price when it shouldn't be on exported items and also because VAT was in the total I've ended up paying GST on VAT. It all adds up to about $150. Thanks, connellcourt

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

I had the same issue in 2022 with a motorcycle exhaust muffler from Ebay UK. The full 20% VAT-inclusive item price was charged at checkout, despite my Australian delivery address. Then I was charged 10% Australian GST on the VAT inclusive price plus freight.
I questioned this and was told I had paid no VAT, there was no invoice showing VAT, just the one showing GST.

I asked Ebay where the extra 20% went if not to the UK govt, Ebay UK or the seller?

No reply from Ebay. Something is wrong here, Ebayโ€™s website said I should see the item price less VAT at checkout with a delivery address outside the UK.
I paid the equivalent of 20%VAT, then 10% GST on that, with no transparency from Ebay. I checked using VPN that I see the same VAT-inclusive item prices on ebay.UK viewed from both inside and outside the UK.
The key fact is that I paid the full VAT-inclusive price but did not pay VAT. What is EBAY doing with this money?

IanB

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

This happened to me with my last sale to Netherlands.But I looked this morning and Ebay have seemed to have found their mistake and fixed it up.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

it seems like just another ebay scam just like their scamming little tax on postage!

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

@creekman51 wrote:

it seems like just another ebay scam just like their scamming little tax on postage!

And part of the reason eBay started applying fees to postage was that sellers were inflating postage costs to scam eBay.

Remember the dollar items with 99 dollars for postage ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Many years on?

You don't seem to sell on eBay anymore, so how does it affect you? And you haven't given any advice to the OP, just another meaningless complaint.

Get over it.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

what a load of garbage they did it for one simple reason and one simple reason only ...too make more MONEY!!

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply