Registered item lost in post

Hello,

I bought an item on Ebay. I have no doubt that the seller handed it to Auspost as they provided a tracking number which shows the item got scanned in at the seller's local post office. However, there have been no events since and it's nearly been a month (delivery estimate says it should have taken 4 days to be delivered). I alerted the seller to the fact that I never got the item and the seller opened an investigation with Auspost (says 'customer enquiry lodged' on the tracking).

So I'm here still waiting for my item. I have no idea how long these enquiries take. I needed the item this week. I don't want to be waiting another 3-4 weeks for some enquiry. Can I ask the seller for a refund now?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Registered item lost in post

perhaps you missed the bit where the seller has already lodged an enquiry with Australia Post.

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

no I didn't miss it - it helps to do it from both ends....happened to me...I was the buyer, and got a refund via PayPal, albeit 4 months down the track....seller was refunded too
Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

You as a seller has responsibility of delivering the goods to the purchaser as the purchase price includes shipping charges. This is the case even when you offer free shipping. Your responsibility doe not stop when you post the item.

When you post an item without tracking then you are doing it at your own risk not the purchaser.

The only place where it is different is that when you list the item as local pick up and the purchaser ask you to post it on his/her behalf.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

I had been purchasing good on ebay for over five years now. Up until a few months ago I had no problem in receiving goods, recently I had a couple of items the sellers claimed that they have been posted but never receive the goods. These were items less than $10 and shipped from China. One time it was a moisture meter for pot plant, the seller blamed custom in Australia seized the item. I am starting to think that these sellers are running a scam on ebay, where it attracts buyer with low price and never send the goods. In hoping that we won't make a claim because it was only a few dollars. Its all relative, a few dollars to some may not be much but to most of us we don't like the idea of getting ripped off.
Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

So open a case for item not received and get your money back.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

@2020jan09 wrote:

You as a seller has responsibility of delivering the goods to the purchaser as the purchase price includes shipping charges. This is the case even when you offer free shipping. Your responsibility doe not stop when you post the item.

When you post an item without tracking then you are doing it at your own risk not the purchaser.

The only place where it is different is that when you list the item as local pick up and the purchaser ask you to post it on his/her behalf.

Australian law deems goods delivered when handed to a carrier.

You might be different?

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

the point is the scammers are betting most people don't bother to open a case because of the low value of the item.

It all adds up at the end.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Any scammer who was betting that I would not open a dispute for a cheap item is doomed to lose....I certainly would do so.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

Getting a tracking number doesn’t mean it was posted.  A number of years ago I bought an item that was over $1000 and supposedly lost in the post. The tracking number when looked up said the item never left the post office. I know from experience that the post office will give an envelope to take away, register the tracking number and expect that the item will be given back to them once packed. I put in a claim with Ebay, my money was returned and the seller was deregistered. I suspected it the seller was trying to scam me. Fortunately it all worked out well for me.

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

Please check dates on threads before dragging them up.  The OP is not likely to see your post after 6 YEARS

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply