Registered post delivered to someone else

Hey guys

Thought it worthwhile sharing this story, the latest in what I see on these forums is a long line of mistakes made by various postal agencies here and abroad.

Note that AP are currently investigating my claim, and I await the outcome of that investigation before deciding my next move, whether it be the ombudsman, a solicitor and/or VCAT.

I purchased an expensive camera ($2700) from a seller before Christmas (12th December). I requested that the seller provide me with insurance and registered post for the item.

Since that time, the item has been missing in action- the seller has not responded to my emails and I opened a dispute with Paypal. Paypal investigated, and found in the seller's favour because she was able to provide them with a tracking number that shows the item was delivered. I had been requesting this information from the seller for some time however she would only supply it to Paypal. Paypal provided me with the tracking information from the seller, and I was able to confirm through the Australia Post website the the item was indeed delivered.

Headed down to the AP outlet to check that the item was there as I had not received a note in the mailbox- customer service rep informed me that the item had been delivered and was signed for by someone called "M Harris'. Clearly not me! This confused both the AP customer servioce rep and me when I showed her my drivers licence (with signature) that is not in the name of M Harris.

At this point, AP have not stated where the item was delivered, why it was delivered to and signed for by someone who is not me, nor can they tell me of the seller had paid for the insurance that I requested (and paid extra for) during the transaction.

So far I have learnt:

1- Buyer protection from paypal only works if they are able to claim to refund from the buyer- in this case, because they can see the item was delivered to my suburb, they are satisfied that the seller is not at fault (regardless of whether she has put the correct address on the parcel, or if she paid for the insurance that I requested) and regardless of whether I have actually received the item. In effect is it not buyer protection at all

2- that someone with a different name is able to sign for post that is registered to someone else

3- that AP will not provide me with a copy of the signature for 'M Harris' that they have on file- they requested (and I provided) a copy of my signature, I assume so they can compare the handwriting to establish that it is not mine

4- that AP cannot, or are unwilling to, provide me with insurance details for the item that was sent.

I eagerly await the result of the AP investigation and will keep people informed of the outcome. Hopefully there are some leassons we can all learn out of this!

Message 1 of 376
Latest reply
375 REPLIES 375

Re: Registered post delivered to someone else

Coughs and splutters here big time..... Ummm you were thinking about bidding on another high priced camera from a 0 rated seller?????? 

Haha- negative..... just thought it was an interesting sale, I have seen a listing like that somewhere before............ wonder if it fits in an envelope..............

and no, I am not suggesting anything untoward anyone, before I get pulled up! Just thought it was interesting........

Message 341 of 376
Latest reply

Re: Registered post delivered to someone else [ New ]
Options
in reply to beanzo79
7 minutes ago

"Coughs and splutters here big time..... Ummm you were thinking about bidding on another high priced camera from a 0 rated seller?????? "

i had heart palpitations then calmed down, and wrote a thoughtful, diplomatic little suggestion, hoping the buyer

wAS. freakin'. KidDing. Us!!!!

🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 342 of 376
Latest reply

i had heart palpitations then calmed down, and wrote a thoughtful, diplomatic little suggestion, hoping the buyer

wAS. freakin'. KidDing. Us!!!!

Ha! Apologies Amber- I actually misinterpreted your response- I thought you knew exactly what I was up to!

Wouldn't be much sympathy with me on these forums had I jumped head first into that sale!

Message 343 of 376
Latest reply

are you lot hiding a photographer over here? point them over to the CS photo challenge Smiley Wink

Message 344 of 376
Latest reply

It's OK, I've recovered 😉

Did think you had to be joking, after the first few seconds, don't worry...but not everyone knows that warranties are not usually transferrable, so if there is an issue on an expensive camera, stores are the way to go.

On pretty much anything expensive, new, and electrical, really.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 345 of 376
Latest reply

I wondered the same thing....

Message 346 of 376
Latest reply

I will refer you to one of your own posts from only yesterday I believe where you said you would not buy from a 0 rated seller again, and yet you still continue to look at items from sellers just like that and ask advice about it here, gobsmacked!!!:-

Hey santo

Agree with your summation of the listing, and it absolutely looks suss now- I guess when I first noticed it, all those things you have mentioned could also be explained by a seller who is selling a high end camera for someone else? And the battery grip was an added extra- I interpreted the battery grip as an added extra, and assumed that the seller had no idea about the camera. The fact that the seller had listed lower great southern in WA seems real too- for people that live in Australia, it's a fairly little known area, so seemed ok to me. Also the number if buds the camera had on it by the time I looked was comforting too (not sure why!)

I have looked for images like that online and cannot find them either. Would love to think that it is their camera they used in the listing- fairly unique with that battery grip- cos if the police do investigate, it will certainly help with any charges that may eventuate. I would be very surprised if the seller is in Australia though, but you never know. They may just fly in, launch the scam and then fly out, who knows

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Even if my head was thinking "scam" when I bought it, I could not have predicated how it would turn out!

Will not buy from a 0 seller again, which is a shame, cos everyone has to start somewhere....

Message 347 of 376
Latest reply

@amalan11 wrote:

Do you think it may be worth contacting Scam watch ,the dept of consumer affairs runs it I think, and they may be able to get something done .The other thing is Public Defender column in the Daily telegraph in Sydney covers cases like yours as its a big foul up with the way it was able to happen and the paypal system it would be good if they could let people know ..they seem to get results

and Aus P:ost

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 348 of 376
Latest reply

@venomous_abyss wrote:

Apologies, I'm not forum savvy nor very awake. How do I "quote"? Guess I can google that. Beanz made reference to this item number :261368068541

When you hit reply at the bottom of the post, you get the reply box that you type into.

To the top right of that is a blue button that says "Quote"

click on that and the post to which you refer goes into your reply box and you just type underneath.

Then hit post as normal.

But, I don't think you can quote if you have an iPad, and if you quote someone who uses an iPad, I think you have to put a full stop somewhere or it doesn't work, but I also think that might have changed since Lithium took over.

Just if it doesn't work, I was just prewarning you it might be an iPad thing

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 349 of 376
Latest reply

I will refer you to one of your own posts from only yesterday I believe where you said you would not buy from a 0 rated seller again, and yet you still continue to look at items from sellers just like that and ask advice about it here, gobsmacked!!!:-

You are kidding kimmidoll, arent you?!? Perhaps someone can supply me a banging head against wall emoticon.....

I WAS JOKING. I honestly thought it would be taken that way......... Apologies to all those who missed the little joke I had.

May I refer to my eariler post where I wondered if it would fit in an envelope- surely that gave it away, or did you miss that?!?

NOTE * I do not think that a camera will fit in an envelope

Message 350 of 376
Latest reply