Returning A Pick Up item

Hi

I recently won a record player through auction. Being bulky it was listed as pick up only. 

I knew from the pictures that cosmetically it wasn't in "excellent condition like new"  (as was being described), but having won with a relatively low bid, I wasn't too worried if it was a bit beat up (as long as it works). 

I have experience with pickup items, and even brought a record along to test out the player. 

The trip was longer than expected (40 mins) so was a bit behind the scheduled time. When I got there and asked to test the player the guy said he was late for work so there was no time to plug it in, and that he didn't have speakers anyway. He was in work clothes so I believed him and having just driven that far I didn't want to go back home for nothing, so I agreed with him that I would test it at home and contact him if there was an issue (I felt bad for being late).

When I get home and plug it in, the player works, but it makes a loud wooshing noise that is audible in between songs and during quieter bits. Definitely not usable and definitely not excellent condition. If I had've plugged it in and heard it at his place I would definitely have said "no thanks". 

I have emailed him saying I wish to return the item. So far, no response. Do I have any leg to stand on? I don't think Ebay would cover this sort of thing?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Returning A Pick Up item

In a word NO you don't have a leg to stand on. Pick up items are not covered by buyer protection. It is up to you to test the item before you take it if it's not as described you don't take it.
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Unless you were prepared to keep it whatever state it was in you should just have walked away and said you were not buying it unless you could test it first.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

That is very interesting about "caveat emptor".
Definitely a lesson for us all.
Incidentally, I've had a few buyers recently (one in feedback and 2 others privately message me) to say something along the lines of "wow, the item is exactly like the photos and description". As though they are very surprised when they get an item "as described". This indicates to me that there are more and more items on eBay which AREN'T as described.. So there seems to be more shoddy sellers and cranky buyers.
So sorry about the situation of the turntable mentioned on this thread and hope there is some way the OP can obtain some resolution.
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Have you tried calling him ? He may well tell you to nick off but you won't know until you try.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

ok... going out on a limb here...

Have you tried a different record?
Perhaps the record you took with you, wasnt up to scratch...  (pun intended  LOL)  Man Tongue

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Are you used to listening to vinyl on a record player?

They are very noisy after CDs and downloads on ipods and mp3 players.

Is the needle brand new. From memory we used to buy a diamond stylus.

Maybe you speakers don't like the record player. Does the player have a built in pre-amp?

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

What about with the new money back guarantee? I saw in the policy items damaged during pick up are not covered but I couldn't see anything about not as described during pickup being excluded?

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Pick up items have no seller or buyer protection under the ebay MBG or a paypal dispute.

Once the item has been paid for on pickup it belongs to the buyer and that is the end of it.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply