Returning A Pick Up item

Hi

I recently won a record player through auction. Being bulky it was listed as pick up only. 

I knew from the pictures that cosmetically it wasn't in "excellent condition like new"  (as was being described), but having won with a relatively low bid, I wasn't too worried if it was a bit beat up (as long as it works). 

I have experience with pickup items, and even brought a record along to test out the player. 

The trip was longer than expected (40 mins) so was a bit behind the scheduled time. When I got there and asked to test the player the guy said he was late for work so there was no time to plug it in, and that he didn't have speakers anyway. He was in work clothes so I believed him and having just driven that far I didn't want to go back home for nothing, so I agreed with him that I would test it at home and contact him if there was an issue (I felt bad for being late).

When I get home and plug it in, the player works, but it makes a loud wooshing noise that is audible in between songs and during quieter bits. Definitely not usable and definitely not excellent condition. If I had've plugged it in and heard it at his place I would definitely have said "no thanks". 

I have emailed him saying I wish to return the item. So far, no response. Do I have any leg to stand on? I don't think Ebay would cover this sort of thing?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Returning A Pick Up item

As a seller thats good to know. Is there a link anywhere. I still can't find it in the policy.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

@no_tv*10 wrote:

As a seller thats good to know. Is there a link anywhere. I still can't find it in the policy.

You have already found it....you mentioned it in the post that I answered.   I just clarified that NO pickup items are covered in any way.  The buyer is supposed to make sure the items are as described and suitable for purpose before paying and taking it away.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

I'd agree with trying a different record BUT, try a new needle first.

Mind you, the wooshing sound described does bring back some old, old memories.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

If you're running it through a newer amp or newer speakers, it will sound atrocious. You need to find some old speakers for it. Old record players don't marry up with new technology very well at all. You'll end up with all sorts of hissing, whooshing and whirring noises coming out of it. Even more so if the needle is old too.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply