Scammed for $2000 4090

Hi,

I bought an RTX 4090 from a user for $2000 AUD and the seller hasn't responded nor sent the items for 3 days already. At first, he was pretty nice and was telling the reason he sold his card and stuff but as soon as I made the payment, he was silent since. The original listing was an auction but doesn't allow offer, I was asking him if I can offer $2400 (with $400 through PayID and $2000 through Afterpay due to Afterpay limits) and he accepted it and relisted the item.

Upon looking at his profile, I can only see that he is rated 100% as a buyer and hasn't sold anything. And I also saw that his listing has the exact same picture as another guy: 
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4090 WINDFORCE 24GB GDDR6X Graphics Card 4719331311476 | eBay (his)

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4090 WINDFORCE 24GB GDDR6X Graphics Card 4719331311476 | eBay (other guy)

The other guy is clearly legit since he has 354 positive feedbacks as a seller. Now the question is how I can cancel the order since eBay doesn't let me cancel this order now, and how can I get my money back. Do I need to wait for it to past the expected delivery day?

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Scammed for $2000 4090

No worries, mate. Haha ๐Ÿ˜† 

Message 21 of 31
Latest reply

It's business days so the clock won't start until Monday and while help says you can ask them to step in after 3 days, last time I had an INR it was 4 or 5 days before I could ask ebay to step in, so unfortunately you have been caught by Easter, assuming its an Aussie seller. China has quinming( Spring festival - not sure of spelling) on now, which goes for 3 days .

Message 22 of 31
Latest reply

As others have said, it's business days and we have a long weekend coming up. Keep checking the dispute each day until the option appears to ask ebay to step in. As soon as it does, smash that button. Someone with 2 feedback shouldn't be allowed to list items with such a high price. In fact, new sellers are usually quite restricted in what they can list. I wonder if his other buyer has realised they have probably been scammed too?

I don't know if it's still the case, but during the peak of Covid, ebay extended the time before you could ask them to step in because of worldwide and national postage delays. Hopefully someone can clarify if that is still the case. 

Message 23 of 31
Latest reply

Thank you for your information. I have just talked to eBay. They said that there might be some glitch in the system that gave the seller 10 days of "Seller Make It Right" period instead of 3, but they cannot fix that on the system. However, I am told that I can get it touch with them through eBay live chat or phone call on the 4th day to escalate the case and get them to step in.

Message 24 of 31
Latest reply

I think the seller usually has 3 business days to respond, not just 3 days, so basically they have only added 2 days (the 6th and the 11th)

Message 25 of 31
Latest reply

Yea, so basically 3-5 business days.

Message 26 of 31
Latest reply

A little update guys, I just asked eBay if they can step in today on 6th of April and they indeed did. So, they are reviewing the case and the status has been updated to "Pending" now. Hopefully, it will be over soon.

Message 27 of 31
Latest reply

That is good news! Please keep us updated. I for one am very interested in how this goes for you.

Message 28 of 31
Latest reply

Great news guys!!! eBay has sent me a full refund today.

Message 29 of 31
Latest reply

@jerrycatf0707 wrote:

Great news guys!!! eBay has sent me a full refund today.

That really is terrific news! I'm so happy for you. What an awesome outcome. Well done! Such a relief for you.

Message 30 of 31
Latest reply