Seller / Buyer Contact Information

Why does Ebay restrict prospective buyers or sellers from requesting contact details so viewing of the item prior to purchase can take place. This policy restricts sales and forces a buyer to buy sight unseen.

It is an unfair policy to all concerned

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I agree

Ebay do it out of sheer greed, afraid they will lose fees because, according to ebay, if someone wants to inspect before buying it MUST mean the seller is going to sell 'outside' ebay

Basically ebay think everyone is as sneaky and underhanded as they are

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

You have to click the BIN button apparently and commit to buy, then you can exchange

details.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

There is a way on pick up items to give details and request cash on pick up.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/accepted-payment-methods.html ,(under Payment on pick-up ).

Does this method require eBay checkout? Yes. Once the buyer goes through checkout for your item, they can select the 'Payment Upon Pick-Up' option.

How soon am I paid? Immediately. In-person payment methods can include bank cheques, personal cheques, money orders or cash. In your listing, be clear about which of these payment methods you'll accept.

The seller can then send an invoice to the buyer with their address details.

So the buyer needs to go through checkout to get the Pay on pick up option.

Sellers that have pick up items may need to put that into their listings,(eg: before you commit to buy

there should be an option to change it to pay cash on pick up).

So a seller stipulates to the buyer in the listing to go through check out and change it to cash on pick up and

that they then need to wait for an invoice then it should be all above board according to their own policies.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

So a seller stipulates to the buyer in the listing to go through check out and change it to cash on pick up and

that they then need to wait for an invoice then it should be all above board according to their own policies.

Since my impression is that buyers rarely read descriptions I don't like the chances of them reading this - and following it. More likely they'll just pass once they think they can't inspect before buying (and blame the seller). I really despair over this new initiative of ebay for people trying to sell for example, furniture.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

There is a way on pick up items to give details and request cash on pick up.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/accepted-payment-methods.html ,(under Payment on pick-up ).

Does this method require eBay checkout? Yes. Once the buyer goes through checkout for your item, they can select the 'Payment Upon Pick-Up' option.

How soon am I paid? Immediately. In-person payment methods can include bank cheques, personal cheques, money orders or cash. In your listing, be clear about which of these payment methods you'll accept.

The seller can then send an invoice to the buyer with their address details.

So the buyer needs to go through checkout to get the Pay on pick up option.

Sellers that have pick up items may need to put that into their listings,(eg: before you commit to buy

there should be an option to change it to pay cash on pick up).

Seller needs to have pre selected that as an option under payment methods accepted. Many haven't because it wasn't previously necessary and are most likely unaware of it.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@egglesdtp wrote:

Since my impression is that buyers rarely read descriptions I don't like the chances of them reading this - and following it. More likely they'll just pass once they think they can't inspect before buying (and blame the seller). I really despair over this new initiative of ebay for people trying to sell for example, furniture.

Even with cash on pickup buyer still has to commit to buy,so its not a prepurchase inspection

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Keep in mind if a seller respondswithcontact info the bots pick it up and its an auto 7 suspension. So to save a"potential" fee avoidance they may loose a large number of sales, thousands of $$ in the case of large volume sellers..plain dumb.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I was selling a motor vehicle where people naturally wanted to come and inspect the item. I tried to send my contact details so they could and ebay suspended my messages account.
It just didn't make common sense so I deleted ALL my items on eBay and now list on Carsales or Gumtree where their policies and fees make sense.
I wonder how many others did the same.
I'll still buy off eBay but never again will I be a seller.
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Wouldn't it be a lot more simple for EBay to monitor the contact details exchange through their process.
Remember once you say an item is sold you get charged a fee, eBay then says if the sale falls through you must lodge a complaint or dispute to regain your lost fees.
Tell me this makes sense and would you pay cash upfront to. I a car sight unseen.
If you say yes you are the only person who would do that.
No sorry it is just EBay greed always take and never give.
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply