Seller charged 75% more for postage than what it cost to send

Hi, I recently purchased an item and paid $8:25 postage.  When I received it, the postmark sticker said it cost the seller $2:10 to post.  The item was in a recycled plastic bag which was put in an A4 envelope, so packaging costs were minimal.  When I queried the postage discrepancy, the seller said it was because their Post Office was a 20 km round trip.  They said the postage and travel actually cost them more than $8:25, suggesting that they had somehow done me a favour in only charging me that amount.

Does anyone think this is unreasonable?  My one bugbear about postage is when seller's appear to be creaming profit from it.

Message 1 of 108
Latest reply
107 REPLIES 107

Re: Seller charged 75% more for postage than what it cost to send

@imastawka wrote:

@imastawka wrote:

Gee,  if only there was a way, somehow,

to look at what the OP may have bought..........................................whstle.gif

Oh wait,   there is........................

And without saying what the item is,  this is what the listing said

AU $8.25
Australia
Standard Postage (Australia Post Prepaid Parcel Post 500g Satchel)

Now, if that came as a large letter ($2.10) with no tracking, I'd want some

money back - but that's just me

If only the OP had clarified that in the beginning - slightly alters my view now Smiley LOL

I do still stand by some of what I've said, however - stating $8.25 for 500g satchel & then using Unregistered ? large letter for $2.10 is not acceptable in my view.  If it was sent registered (extra $3.70), well then that's another matter again.

If only OP would come back and clarify  Smiley Surprised

Message 31 of 108
Latest reply

That sums it up for me imastawka- seller listed and charged for satchel with tracking but used LL with no tracking.

Thus seller should refund the difference. Sheesh, so many sellers automatically refund overcharged postage (I did it yesterday and got a lovely email back, almost made me teary!) that a seller doing this really annoys me. Poor, poor form.

Message 32 of 108
Latest reply

If it stated as being sent by tracked satchel and arrived large letter with no tracking, then that changes my view a bit too. That's a dog act. I also can't keep over paid postage, even if the buyer did pay for everything separately. I have a conscience.

Message 33 of 108
Latest reply

Agreed Tippy. Same with selling multiple small items where the buyer pays for all without asking 1st for combined- if it works, I send all together and refund the difference, if it's >$2. Under $2 and it doesn't seem worth it, for various reasons...

As several posters have pointed out, there're so many variables within sellers and their models; it's not up to the buyer to decide or dictate what things *should* cost.

This seller should've just mailed it in a 500g satchel, like they said they would and received the funds for.

Question is, what should OP do now? Maybe send a crisp msg via EB pointing out the diff between LL and satchel, politely requesting they attend to the issue? What can you do?

Message 34 of 108
Latest reply

Hi folks, thanks for your posts.  Apologies for not clarifying the postage service.  It's been interesting reading all the different opinions on the subject.  I still feel a bit ripped off in having paid for a particular type of Australia Post service and my item being sent via another cheaper option. I just wanted to put it out there to see what the wider community's opinion was.  Thanks.

Message 35 of 108
Latest reply

Hi wizz, can you please tell us, was it sent Registered ? Just curious now Smiley Happy

Message 36 of 108
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

theres allways a first   i agree with the stawka, 

quick call me a doctor 

but joe, did stawka get permission from the Opening Poster to snoop around on the you-know-what-site-I-am-referring-to-here outside website to do the snipening thing about the postage on the item the Opening Poster didn't mention in the Opening Post because it may be private info?   If she didn't, then don't agree with her, condemn her for all eternity!

Now, where are those pitchforks!

Message 37 of 108
Latest reply

if you look in the posts i asked from the op ,if there was a type of postage on the item , now how stawka got it or what is none of my business , if the op wants to know ,thats his business, but i would not do it ,if tats where the info came from.  as i have said before i would ask and i did to the op ,what was on the items postage arangement ,and we would of got it, sure maybe the info was an hour or so earlier, i agreed with stawka about not happy paying the extra .    

p.s i hope you are looking after my item you have for sale in case I win it , could you put in a cool spot thanks   lol

check out message 17   thats how its done  ask first.

Message 38 of 108
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@joethenuts wrote:

theres allways a first   i agree with the stawka, 

quick call me a doctor 

but joe, did stawka get permission from the Opening Poster to snoop around on the you-know-what-site-I-am-referring-to-here outside website to do the snipening thing about the postage on the item the Opening Poster didn't mention in the Opening Post because it may be private info?   If she didn't, then don't agree with her, condemn her for all eternity!

Now, where are those pitchforks!

(Dunno why,  but OK Joe,  you're a doctor)    toothless.gif

Slr,   No pitchforks or permission needed.   

I used this

Message 39 of 108
Latest reply

Interesting reading all the different opinions really?

All you had to do is tell the truth in the first place and we all would have agreed with you.

Message 40 of 108
Latest reply