Seller charged 75% more for postage than what it cost to send

Hi, I recently purchased an item and paid $8:25 postage.  When I received it, the postmark sticker said it cost the seller $2:10 to post.  The item was in a recycled plastic bag which was put in an A4 envelope, so packaging costs were minimal.  When I queried the postage discrepancy, the seller said it was because their Post Office was a 20 km round trip.  They said the postage and travel actually cost them more than $8:25, suggesting that they had somehow done me a favour in only charging me that amount.

Does anyone think this is unreasonable?  My one bugbear about postage is when seller's appear to be creaming profit from it.

Message 1 of 108
Latest reply
107 REPLIES 107

Re: Seller charged 75% more for postage than what it cost to send

I made a simple oversight in not mentioning the $8:25 was a satchel service.   "All you had to do is tell the truth in the first place" is a bit harsh!  

Message 51 of 108
Latest reply

Thanks so much, well that really does change my opinion considerably.  I agree with you - stating a 500g satchel for $8.25 or whatever it was and posting for $2.10 is disgraceful.  Sheeesh, not even a padded envelope

(I couldn't sleep at night if I were that seller !). 

Message 52 of 108
Latest reply

@wizz_2026 wrote:

I made a simple oversight in not mentioning the $8:25 was a satchel service.   "All you had to do is tell the truth in the first place" is a bit harsh!  

wizz, I have to disagree with you . . . . it is not "a bit harsh" . . . . I think it is very harsh and undeserved.

I don't think you did anything wrong, dishonest or deceptive in your Opening Post.  More detailed information may have been helpful, as any regular poster here knows, but you are by no means a regular poster.

Don't let anything you have read on this thread you started put you off coming back to these boards.  You can learn a lot from reading, and if you ever need help again you can start a thread.  The only advice I would give you is that if you start a thread then subscribe to the thread so that you are notified when posts are added.  That way you can come back and read what is posted and give additional information if it is needed.  Welcome to the boards.

Message 53 of 108
Latest reply

And I'm sorry I stalked your purchases       ( a little bit)

But it did help clear things up for a lot of people     big grin smiley.gif

Message 54 of 108
Latest reply

I agree, that comment was very harsh and undeserved. That member often gives harsh, ill thought out messages that can come across as being aggressive when there is no need for it.

OP, take the advice of the above post. Call in any time because you can learn a LOT here. The help pages are very hard to navigate and often you can't find the answer to your problem. The long term members here are very experienced and there is usually always someone who can answer your question, regardless of what it is. You can learn so much just by reading the posts and threads created by others, even without contributing. You never know when you encounter that issue too and you'll immediately know what to do.

Message 55 of 108
Latest reply

and just to add to *tippy*toes*'s post . . . . . if you hang around here long enough and read posts you will quickly learn which posters post the best, correct and most helpful advice and which ones still have a lot to learn.

Message 56 of 108
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

And I'm sorry I stalked your purchases       ( a little bit)

But it did help clear things up for a lot of people     big grin smiley.gif

stawka, I have a question or two (depends on the answer to the first one)

1) Are you a little bit sorry?

OR

2) Did you stalk the OP's purchases a little bit?

Message 57 of 108
Latest reply

Yes     outtahere.gif

Message 58 of 108
Latest reply

stawka, now you are just being cruel . . . . . and nasty!  I have stated on these boards before that I have some OCD tendencies in some aspects of my ilife and you are not helping me . . . . in fact . . . . I am crying right now because of your cruelty.  (wish I had a gif image to go with this)

Message 59 of 108
Latest reply

popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif

Spoiler
Cruel indeed SLR,  bad bad Musketeer.........>>>>>>>

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 60 of 108
Latest reply