Seller refunded me because they didn't charge enough.

dubs_2
Community Member

I bought an item and the seller refunded me because of a problem, when I asked what the problem was, they said, quote: "I didn't price it properly".

If I bought an item, I am agreeing to a contract and it the same from the seller once they list something.

Surely this is illegal what the seller did?

Photo attached.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Seller refunded me because they didn't charge enough.

dubs_2
Community Member
Thanks for that reply. Your answer is what my expectation was. I feel that he should have honoured the price he put and what I paid for in full. The transaction completed. Or at the very least contact me with the situation and we could have come to an arrangement.

In order for a buyer to do anything after completion of the transaction, you have to apply or contact someone to resolve anything. It shouldn’t be that easy for a seller to refund on their own behalf. I’m my opinion anyway.
Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

@dubs_2 wrote:
Thanks for that reply. Your answer is what my expectation was. I feel that he should have honoured the price he put and what I paid for in full. The transaction completed. Or at the very least contact me with the situation and we could have come to an arrangement.

In order for a buyer to do anything after completion of the transaction, you have to apply or contact someone to resolve anything. It shouldn’t be that easy for a seller to refund on their own behalf. I’m my opinion anyway.

If it helps ease the pain, Paypal no longer refunds their fees when a seller refunds, so the seller is out close to $20 in non-refundable fees.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

dubs_2
Community Member
Thanks. I wish no I’ll will on him but that’s fair for PayPal to do. I just wish people didn’t act so selfishly.
Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

It looks like the seller has ended the listing and not relisted them as yet. 

There were 3 all sold on the 12th, so I suspect the error was  not discovered until they found all 3 sales waiting to be processed. 

It's really easy to say the price should have been honoured, but tech stuff can have really low price margins and somtimes even a $50 difference in price can mean the seller is selling at a loss - personally, I've honoured every price an item of mine has sold at, and honoured quotes (which are made well before any money is handed over) even after I discovered I underpriced my item, but I also remain a bit flexible when it comes to other sellers as we can never know what their situation is, but we can respect them and understand that sometimes things go wrong. They may have just thought it would look really dodgy to try to renegotiate after the sale (not to mention PayPal seller protection goes out the window if they accept more than one payment for the same order, so they wouldn't have wanted to ask for more money for a multitude of reasons).

If they selected "something wrong with the item" they have already earned a defect (lets just say this is not good at all), and if all 3 buyers paid, the refunds cost them around $60, so I'd say they've at least learnt a lesson or two about being a little more diligent with their pricing. 

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply