Seller refuses to give there address to return a faulty phone!

whutzup
Community Member
Hi, could anyone help me a major problem I am having with a seller...I purchased a phone 5 months ago, it died for no reason! I ended a call, it froze...tried to restart phone, that didn't work, so I took battery out. Then the phone never turned back on from there ๐Ÿ˜ž I contacted seller straight away. I have one years guarantee on the phone. They want me to take a video of the phone then email that to them before they will look at sending me there address to them. I said I should not have to do this! Two weeks later and they refuse to give me the address! Told them they are breaking the law! They are being so difficult! Have made a complaint to eBay...but they can't do anything ๐Ÿ˜ž spent a lot of money on this phone...am so frustrated! Now they refuse to answer any of my emails requesting there return address. Apart from lodging a complaint with Fair Trading I don't think I have any other options? If anyone has any info for me about this situation....I would greatly appreciate any help!! Thank you in advance...Tracey
Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Buying this sort of thing on eBay is frought with trouble.

if you paid via paypal using a credt card then contact your provider and request a chargeback on the card, do it as soon as you can.

Failing that, forget the seller and contact Apple ?? and see if they will help regarding the warranty -  but they may not as most warrantys offered on eBay are not worth the paper they are written on unless the seller is an authorised distributor of said product.

Good Luck

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Unless the seller is a registered Australian business there is nothing Fair Trading can do for you.

There is also a good chance that your guarantee is non existant....most manufacturers will not honour guarantees for items sold on ebay unless the seller is an authorised reseller of the brand.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

hard lesson learnt about buying phones on ebay. DONT DO IT. Eaby should look at banning the sale of mobile phones on this platform.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Hi, thanks for your info! I agree I learnt the hard way! I know heaps of people who have bought phones through eBay, but of cause none of them have had the same problem as me! Typical ๐Ÿ™‚ I must say I am annoyed at eBay customer service, they really couldn't give a rats a** about my complaint! I understand they would get a lot of complaints, but this seller has had a lot of negative feedback since I purchased the phone! So I am not the only one....they also lied about there location. They said they will look into the seller, but to be honest I don't know they have or will...I will never know as they said they will not be able to tell me the outcome of there inquiry! Will keep emailing the seller! Thanks again ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Thank you for your info! I will be contacting my credit card provider and see what they say! It is so frustrating! It has def put me off buying from eBay! What annoys me is that this seller is still operating, even though they have had multiple neutral and negative feedback over the last 5 months since I purchased the phone! Ebay said they will look into the seller...so other people who don't read feedback before purchasing from these rip offs will waste there money also! But nothing I can do there. Thanks again for your help!
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Thank you for your reply, I now know about the guarantee on eBay! Wish I had looked into it better before purchasing phone! I assumed if they can advertise saying you have a guarantee then they have to honour that statement! Ggggrrr frustrating! Thanks again for your help! ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Not sure how much the credit card company can do. There is no obvious fraud, you received the item. I understand it's annoying but the purpose of a chargeback is if it was fraudulent, not just because you are no longer happy with the product. Charge backs can be made 18 months after a transaction, so would it be fair to complain to your card provider after 18 months because the product has died? The timing is irrelevant, it is the purpose that matters. If it doesn't arrive at all or you get scammed, it's different.

Was the product a legitimate product?
Was it Australian warranty?
Was it sold with 12 months warranty?
If so you should be able to take to an authorised service centre for warranty. Unless the seller was not an authorised seller of said product. Places like kogan had big battles re warranties. Some companies don't honour the factory warranty on products kogan sells. So kogan does their own warranty and you have to return it to them and they in turn return it to the manufacturer. But if they go bust, so does the warranty.
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:
Not sure how much the credit card company can do. There is no obvious fraud, you received the item. I understand it's annoying but the purpose of a chargeback is if it was fraudulent, not just because you are no longer happy with the product. Charge backs can be made 18 months after a transaction, so would it be fair to complain to your card provider after 18 months because the product has died? The timing is irrelevant, it is the purpose that matters. If it doesn't arrive at all or you get scammed, it's different.

Was the product a legitimate product?
Was it Australian warranty?
Was it sold with 12 months warranty?
If so you should be able to take to an authorised service centre for warranty. Unless the seller was not an authorised seller of said product. Places like kogan had big battles re warranties. Some companies don't honour the factory warranty on products kogan sells. So kogan does their own warranty and you have to return it to them and they in turn return it to the manufacturer. But if they go bust, so does the warranty.

Really? Who do you bank with?

Some don't allow them for online sales at all. Others generally have a 3 to 6 month limit.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Hi thanks for your reply! I bank with NAB, I rung PayPal, but they can't do anything as outsid of 45 day dispute! They were shocked of the conduct of this seller, and they don't understand how they are able to get away with there demands! The seller still promises to settle this matter to my satisfaction? Yeah right, still refuses to give me return address until I provide them a video of the phone...and even then they say they will pass it on to their technical team, to see if they will do good by their guarantee. So much time and energy trying to get this seller to do stand by their guarantee....I do t think its going to happen, but I will continue to email them! I do have 12 mo this guarantee and they say they are in Melbourne. I will ring my credit card company and see what they can do....I don't expect much to be honest ๐Ÿ˜ž thanks again for your info and help! Will post if I get any sort of outcome! Cheers T
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply