Seller scammed me with fake tracking?

Hello everyone, 

I had purchased 2x GPU's on the 08 Nov 2022. Since these items were marked as brand new and the price listed was around MSRP, but had $300 off coupon attached to them I pulled the trigger and bought it using two seperate transactions. We are talking a grand total of $6400.

The listing description had mention it was going to be sent using express post, but at checkout it only had option for regular post so I contacted the seller after my purchase asking if it was still going to be sent express.

2 days later on 10 Nov 2022 seller replies back with a bunch of screenshots from eBay and the seller having a conversation about his payouts being held (his concern was what if he sends the item and not get the money, and the conversation was basically them discussing that I should be made aware about the delay).  I get impatient and buy the same item locally since I couldn't wait, but one of them turned out to be faulty so I returned it locally, and messaged the seller again to check when will he actually send me the items I have bought.

15 Nov 2022, he messages me saying he sent ebay more documents so they can confirm and lift the restrictions and just talks about how eBay is so bad at this and they should've asked him the documents from the start.

17 Nov 2022, he messages saying he's waiting for the hold to get lifted.

21 Nov 2022, now I message him asking what's happening and at this point sinceit's been over the allocated delivery time, I open a case request for item not received.

Seller then messages me same day, saying he hasn't shipped yet but they have reveiewd his documents but cant process himn cause he now has two cases opened.

So I tell him I'll just ask eBay to step in and cancel the orders, cause I couldn't wait any longer.

26 Nov 2022, eBay closed the case "We received tracking information from the seller that shows the item was delivered to your address or will be arriving shortly."

Got a notification at around 5 AM in the morning saying I won't be getting any refund, so I hop on chat half asleep but live chat would not work until 9 AM (mind you this is on 26 Nov 2022, Saturday). So I wait till 9 AM and get on chat, just to be told the seller sent the same message to eBay showing concern and provided them a tracking address from Australia post, which when I clicked the link eBay supplied says it was sent on the 17th - and delivered on the 21st, meanwhile on the 22nd the seller said to me "not yet".

So I express my concern to eBay but they couldn't do anything, and when asked to put on their supervisor he was busy and phones don't work until 28th Nov 2022 Monday.

I did pay via PayPal, but I belive I won't be able to get any luck from there either since the seller might provide the fake tracking? I even have a rind doorbell with history to show no one came at the time it was "delviered". I will also ask australia post to check the receivers address/ weight of the item.

Am I screwed here? Even though I have seller claiming he had not posted the item on the 22 Nov, yet provided eBay the tracking that said item was deliverd on the 21st.

Sorry for the long format, I am just so furious and nervous at the same time, and didn't want to leave anything behind.

Message 1 of 105
Latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

All sellers have had to move to the managed payments system which requires ID and bank verification. 

If the seller was using the platform part time, their money would have been on hold for up to 30 days, but they are still required to send the item within their handling time. Initially it sounded like the seller was naive and blaming the hold up in funds for not sending, but I believe they were using this as a delay tactic, especially since they were planning on scamming you.

You can't ask Ebay to cancel orders - that is only within the power of the seller.

It sounds like you opened cases for Item Not Received which were not found in your favour as the seller provided some form of tracking as proof of "delivery".

I  think you should look at opening cases for Item Not as Described and see what happens. I would first do that, then if no joy, open cases in PayPal for Not as Described and finally, if you funded PayPal with a credit card, then do a chargeback. 

Avoid getting onto chat again for a bit - they are useless - you have nothing to lose by opening the INAD cases.

Were there any red seller flags in their feedback?

Message 2 of 105
Latest reply

Just to add - I don't Ebay is the place to be spending this kind of money - there are just too many scammers out there waiting for opportunities. On top of which, even if you had received the items, they do not have any warranties as they are sold by third parties, not authorised distributors.

Much better to buy in shops.

Message 3 of 105
Latest reply

I will wait around till Monday and check up with Australia post for the receivers address and if signature on delveiry was added, since I read on eBays site that anything over $750 requires signaure and the chat rep kept saying they had proof but couldn't show me for privacy reasons and asked me to go through Australia Post instead. I am also going to ask them the weight and dimensions (if they track it) since the seller told eBay rep he sent both the items same time/ same tracking. So by logic the box has to be massive and way over 5kgs.

I will avoid PayPal/ Item not as described till I get some info from Auspost.

Not any specific red **bleep**s, they had various items, 98.8% feedback, only negative/ netural comment was about the packaging being not so secure, i.e lack of padding for rare items.

Message 4 of 105
Latest reply

Yeah, I have now learned my lesson. It did mention on the description that it does come with the receipt as well so 😕

Message 5 of 105
Latest reply

This is ridiculous that the rep is saying that they have proof (ie: signature) but cannot share it. Honestly, they have some nerve!

Best way to contact Aus Post is to write to them on their FB page via messages. Send a simple friendly message that you believe you are being scammed over some high priced and that the seller has provided xxxx tracking number which also requires a signature. Tell them that you have not received such items and that you have not signed for anything. Ask them to please investigate who signed for the items and where they were picked up from. Be aware that they are busy and may take a day or so to get back to you.

Then come back here before you contact anyone else again. We can look at the next steps.

Message 6 of 105
Latest reply

Roger that, I have sent them a facebook message. Also with the tracking eBay provided, I opened a formal case with all the confidential informaiton supplied to them.

I have taken down the customer rep id as well in the off chance whatever he said was a lie to me.

The things he said to me were:

1. Heres the tracking -----link-----

2. We have proof of delivery.

3. There is signature proof sent by seller and authorised by australia post themselves.

4. He said my address ----- Australia----, which I don't know how he was able to extract from the tracking alone, unless he just quoted back to me my own address from the order details as "look the seller sent it here" without actually confirming with Australia post themselves.

Will keep things posted as it progresses, $6400 is no joke especially during holidays. Will do everything possible to get my money back no matter how lengthy this process takes.

Message 7 of 105
Latest reply

Hi....what's the item number?

Message 8 of 105
Latest reply

I don't know if I am allowed to share it? Since it will tell who the seller is no?

Message 9 of 105
Latest reply

Yes, you can post the item number, you can't name the seller though.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 105
Latest reply