Seller scammed me with fake tracking?

Hello everyone, 

I had purchased 2x GPU's on the 08 Nov 2022. Since these items were marked as brand new and the price listed was around MSRP, but had $300 off coupon attached to them I pulled the trigger and bought it using two seperate transactions. We are talking a grand total of $6400.

The listing description had mention it was going to be sent using express post, but at checkout it only had option for regular post so I contacted the seller after my purchase asking if it was still going to be sent express.

2 days later on 10 Nov 2022 seller replies back with a bunch of screenshots from eBay and the seller having a conversation about his payouts being held (his concern was what if he sends the item and not get the money, and the conversation was basically them discussing that I should be made aware about the delay).  I get impatient and buy the same item locally since I couldn't wait, but one of them turned out to be faulty so I returned it locally, and messaged the seller again to check when will he actually send me the items I have bought.

15 Nov 2022, he messages me saying he sent ebay more documents so they can confirm and lift the restrictions and just talks about how eBay is so bad at this and they should've asked him the documents from the start.

17 Nov 2022, he messages saying he's waiting for the hold to get lifted.

21 Nov 2022, now I message him asking what's happening and at this point sinceit's been over the allocated delivery time, I open a case request for item not received.

Seller then messages me same day, saying he hasn't shipped yet but they have reveiewd his documents but cant process himn cause he now has two cases opened.

So I tell him I'll just ask eBay to step in and cancel the orders, cause I couldn't wait any longer.

26 Nov 2022, eBay closed the case "We received tracking information from the seller that shows the item was delivered to your address or will be arriving shortly."

Got a notification at around 5 AM in the morning saying I won't be getting any refund, so I hop on chat half asleep but live chat would not work until 9 AM (mind you this is on 26 Nov 2022, Saturday). So I wait till 9 AM and get on chat, just to be told the seller sent the same message to eBay showing concern and provided them a tracking address from Australia post, which when I clicked the link eBay supplied says it was sent on the 17th - and delivered on the 21st, meanwhile on the 22nd the seller said to me "not yet".

So I express my concern to eBay but they couldn't do anything, and when asked to put on their supervisor he was busy and phones don't work until 28th Nov 2022 Monday.

I did pay via PayPal, but I belive I won't be able to get any luck from there either since the seller might provide the fake tracking? I even have a rind doorbell with history to show no one came at the time it was "delviered". I will also ask australia post to check the receivers address/ weight of the item.

Am I screwed here? Even though I have seller claiming he had not posted the item on the 22 Nov, yet provided eBay the tracking that said item was deliverd on the 21st.

Sorry for the long format, I am just so furious and nervous at the same time, and didn't want to leave anything behind.

Message 1 of 105
Latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

that is the only thing you can share.....

Message 11 of 105
Latest reply

In that case, 

eBay item number:225241405202

Message 12 of 105
Latest reply

It's coming registered post?

Message 13 of 105
Latest reply

When I bought it, it said Standard postage (Australia Post Standard Parcel + Registered)

On the listing description, the seller said free express

The tracking eBay provided, stated it was sent via express

Message 14 of 105
Latest reply

Registered mail is a mail service offered by postal services in many countries which allows the sender proof of mailing via a mailing receipt and, upon request, electronic verification that an article was delivered or that a delivery attempt was made.

Message 15 of 105
Latest reply

Well like in my original post I received zilch.

Seller never gave me anything since he kept saying he was having issue with his account so couldn't send it, and only time I got any sort of tracking was this morning when I talked with the rep after I had escalted the case. Somehow with the tracking alone, the rep was able to determine it was sent to my actual address/ a signature was authorised. 

Meanwhile no deliery was made since I was home all day. I'll wait for Auspost to confim if a signautre was added/ who authorised it/ maybe a pic cause my local postie always takes a pic of the package as I open the door to collect it. Also if the address matches.

What I am concered about is, on eBays policy page it says "buyers address, shwoing atleast city or postcode" is that all it's required for verification of delivery? So if someone sends the item to the same suburb/ postcode and it gets marked delivered, does eBay think I as the receiver received it cause technically it has my suburb and postcode? 

Is this a loop hole that scammers use and successfully get away with, because all the customer rep act as bots that use the same script over and over again.

Message 16 of 105
Latest reply

He also sold 2 on the 6th Nov for $4100 each.....no feedback yet.....

Message 17 of 105
Latest reply

Yes, it's possible that the seller sent a something like an envelope to the same postal code as you, however, they HAVE to use Signature on Delivery as the item is over $750, so the point here is....... who signed for it and why? Aus Post would have had to check ID at the time of collection too.

Message 18 of 105
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:

He also sold 2 on the 6th Nov for $4100 each.....no feedback yet.....

My point is: why would you lower the price by that much after selling 2, 2 days before????

Something stinks....

Message 19 of 105
Latest reply

Message 20 of 105
Latest reply