Seller using false location HELP!

Hello,

I recently bought an item from ebay and the seller said the item was from Sydney, Australia and because of that it was about 30-50% more expensive than if it was coming from China and I was okay with that since I needed it in a timely fashion. And now I read the sellers feedback and come to find out that the items are actually coming from China and that it'll take much longer than I initially expected. This is false advertising and a waste of money, what can I do in this situation? I already e-mailed ebay support but I have no yet received a reply. Not only that but I was provided with no tracking number so I have no clue when and if it'll come. Very disappointed that eBay allows people to be manipulated like this.

Please reply with any information that can be of use, thanks.

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Nope, the seller sent me a message that there is no tracking number and it's shipping by auspost.
Message 11 of 49
Latest reply

i suspect you are correct in assuming the seller is in China.

But that doesn't mean the goods aren't in Sydney.

As others have said, the time to do due diligence is prior to purchase. Not as buyer remorse.

Message 12 of 49
Latest reply

Yeah, I understand that. But the that eBay doesn't crack down on this and a buyer needs to do there investigation before buying says alot about the whole feedback system as a whole.

Message 13 of 49
Latest reply

But the whole idea of feedback is so you can do your due diligence and decide if the seller's terms of sale are what you want to adhere to.

If you don't like it, don't buy from that seller.

It might be to your advantage to read the Site Map and other ebay help sections on how to buy safely one ebay before you have any more issues.

Message 14 of 49
Latest reply

I am primarily a seller. You don't want to get me started on the 'merits' of eBay's feedback system. But you did have the advantage of reading the feedback referring to the goods' location. And you chose to buy anyway....

Message 15 of 49
Latest reply

Well that says a lot about user experience.
Message 16 of 49
Latest reply

@onefishball wrote:
Well that says a lot about user experience.

To quote Pauline.....please explain?

Would you walk into a B & M store that looked dirty and untidy and expect to have a good experience?

Reading feedback is the equivalent of looking at a store....you have to judge the type of experience you might have by reading what sort of experience others have had.

Anyway, as you only bought the item last night it is hardly fair to be complaining about the experience just yet.  Wait and see what happens next week.   You may be pleasantly surprised.

Message 17 of 49
Latest reply

oneball, if you are new to eBay you might like to have a read of this thread to get some tips for buyers, including the one to check feedback before buying.

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Help-and-advice-for-buyers/td-p/1391531

Please do not add to that thread as it is old, but most of the advice is still valid for buyers

Message 18 of 49
Latest reply

sorry onefish, I mis-remembered your eBay ID when I posted last, my apologies for that.

Message 19 of 49
Latest reply

I can understand your concern in this matter but since you have only just purchased the item I wouldn't be concerned just yet. It would appear that the item is coming from Sydney. Hopefully things go smoothly for you and there are no issues with these transaction. 

I too have purcased items that were listed as being in Sydney. I was new at the time and assumed that since the item was in Sydney I was dealing with an Aussie seller, but he was actually in China. I got the item quickly but it was faulty. I opened a dispute with Paypal and was told I needed to return it to the seller, in China at my own expense! . I had to fight tooth and nail with Paypal over that. My argument was that since the item came from Sydney that is where it should be returned to. I had to threaten to go to Fair Trading before Paypal agreed that I could return it the address in Sydney and they would be responsible for getting to the seller in China. 

Message 20 of 49
Latest reply