Seller using false location HELP!

Hello,

I recently bought an item from ebay and the seller said the item was from Sydney, Australia and because of that it was about 30-50% more expensive than if it was coming from China and I was okay with that since I needed it in a timely fashion. And now I read the sellers feedback and come to find out that the items are actually coming from China and that it'll take much longer than I initially expected. This is false advertising and a waste of money, what can I do in this situation? I already e-mailed ebay support but I have no yet received a reply. Not only that but I was provided with no tracking number so I have no clue when and if it'll come. Very disappointed that eBay allows people to be manipulated like this.

Please reply with any information that can be of use, thanks.

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

@lindab0418 wrote:

I can understand your concern in this matter but since you have only just purchased the item I wouldn't be concerned just yet. It would appear that the item is coming from Sydney. Hopefully things go smoothly for you and there are no issues with these transaction. 

I too have purcased items that were listed as being in Sydney. I was new at the time and assumed that since the item was in Sydney I was dealing with an Aussie seller, but he was actually in China. I got the item quickly but it was faulty. I opened a dispute with Paypal and was told I needed to return it to the seller, in China at my own expense! . I had to fight tooth and nail with Paypal over that. My argument was that since the item came from Sydney that is where it should be returned to. I had to threaten to go to Fair Trading before Paypal agreed that I could return it the address in Sydney and they would be responsible for getting to the seller in China. 

linda, re my underlined part of your post, that is why if a buyer opens a dispute for INAD they should always open it with eBay under the MBG.

It tends to be more time consuming but at least the seller has to pay for return postage if the buyer wins any dispute.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 21 of 49
Latest reply

When that happened as far as I am aware Paypal was the only way of obtaining a refund. I did ask ebay to intervene and urge them to change their policy regarding the matter and was pretty much told to like it or lump it. Sorry but I don't know what MBG is. I don't buy electronic stuff on ebay now so all's well but it was a learning curve for sure. 

Message 22 of 49
Latest reply

MBG is eBay's "money back guarantee"

http://pages2.ebay.com.au/eBay_Money_Back_Guarantee

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 23 of 49
Latest reply

hi, my advice is to wait and see if your item arrives in the time given by ebay.

while your waiting heres a book you should get,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/The-Beginners-Guide-to-Buying-and-Selling-on-ebay-McCann-Clare-Good-Book-...

Message 24 of 49
Latest reply

It will come in the timeframe specified since it's 3 days - 28 days....And also the seller said the item will come in 7-10 days. So if it did come from Sydney I'm in Melbourne so unless there are like 6-8 public holidays that I don't know about it's coming from China.

Message 25 of 49
Latest reply

I bought a plumbing item Buy It Now supposedly located in Sydney. When I purchased the BIN there were 4 items left. Some days later I received a cancellation request (late on a Wed, when plumbers were coming to fit on Fri) I went by item location. which was not Sydney as stated, but China as I later found out. I had allowed for item to come from Syd to Melb & extra time.

Seller stated Out Of Stock.

Ebay has been less than helpful. It took ages for the seller (In China) to refund. When I left a well warranted Neg due to non supply I was spammed by the seller & despite all assurances by ebay Phillipines staff this is still happening!

I really believe the Chinese dropshipper warehouses need to be identified as such. They aren't actually in Australia & really don't care about stock levels & customer service!

Message 26 of 49
Latest reply

Yeah, I mean if you're going to deceive me like that at least provide me WITH A TRACKING NUMBER!
Message 27 of 49
Latest reply

Why are you so sure you have been deceived?   At the moment you are only assuming you have been deceived.

Wait till next week at least and see what happens.

Some time ago I was looking to buy an item...I did not care where it came from or how long it took to arrive as I was purely buying on price.

Most of the listings were from China as I expected and all the same price within a few cents.

I found one listing supposedly in Sydney with Make an Offer so I did so.The offer was accepted, taking the price to a few cents lower than any of the other listings.  There was absolutely nothing about the listing to make me think it was anything but a Chinese seller using an incorrect location.

I paid for the listing late in the afternoon and settled back to wait for however long it took to arrive from China.

It arrived on my doorstep at 7am the next morning as described and from the Sydney suburb mentioned in the location.

Needess to say I have been a repeat buyer.

Message 28 of 49
Latest reply

I guess onefishball's cup is always half empty, Lyndal

Message 29 of 49
Latest reply

Well, I asked them if it was coming from Australia, Sydney and they said 'sorry', so you interpret that how you like, but I interpreted that as no, it's not.

Message 30 of 49
Latest reply