Seller wanting more money for item

Hi 

I bought a small vase on eBay today for $30. Sold as wade heath. I have just received an email from the seller saying they pulled the item out and realised its Clarice cliff. I actually haven't seen the base stamp. They now want more money as they researched and said on eBay uk plain ones sell for $60. Or they will cancel if I don't want to pay more. Does anyone know where I stand on this issue. 

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

They can cancel the sale, with the reason being an error in the listing.  They will probably lose the ebay  FVF  and get a defect in sales metrics

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

They seem to do as they please, a bit rude, I wish the app had a way to blacklist sellers so U don't accidentally buy from them again.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

You can exclude them from searches, but not really block them, unfortunately.

In order to exclude them from searches, go to Advanced Search, scroll down to Sellers - Only Show Items From - Exclude.

Save the search if it is something that is important to you, otherwise you will have to repeat the process every time.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@toulousse2004 wrote:

Hi 

I bought a small vase on eBay today for $30. Sold as wade heath. I have just received an email from the seller saying they pulled the item out and realised its Clarice cliff. I actually haven't seen the base stamp. They now want more money as they researched and said on eBay uk plain ones sell for $60. Or they will cancel if I don't want to pay more. Does anyone know where I stand on this issue. 

Thank you. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, sorry to hear of this happen to you.  Since it is a "Buy-it-Now", it can't be the "auction stunt" that sellers often pull when they are unhappy with the finishing auction bid and then come up with a range of lies including "Oh the item was accidentally dropped",  gone missing" , "I have just found a fault".

Due to vase being being sold for $30 and the seller wanting more, the seller should at the very least throw a reasonable request to you. If it was me, and I accidentally listed at item for $30 but found it was worth whatever it is worth but can sell for $60, I'd wear it and let it go for $30. 

Since you paid for the item, you should be able to leave feedback. If so, keep it factual and without any opinion. Possibly just a neutral in this case.

BTW: Recently someone I know won a bly-ray cult-action movie at a low price. Seller said he couldn't send it to Australia for under a certain cost. It was incorrect as other sellers from the US were sending Blu-rays for around $20. Some a bit more, others lower.  And some for less than $10 via economy.  In the same period I got a similar item sent via economy. What seller did was delay replies and then said he was going to the post office to weigh the item. A day later he came back with an excuse and then cancelled the sale with "Buyer didn't pay" or whatever. That was he put himself in the clear, disabled my friend's ability to leave feedback and relist the item again in the hope of getting a better price.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

BTW: The cost that the seller was quoting for my friend was more than double the post cost of other sellers.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

You seem to have a rather large ' group of friends ' who are continually in strife buying on eBay. lol

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@peterv80,

The seller is correct in terms of value of items by Clarice Cliff. Clarice Cliff ceramics are highly collectable.

If the seller found post-sale that the item was incorrectly listed as Wade Heath (and yes, I suppose I can see an error being made on the basis of the look of the design for some items), the seller would have reason to remove the item from sale. Going ahead with the transaction opens up the seller to INR, quite apart from any issue of underpricing the item.

In my view, the seller should not have offered it to you for an extra amount, but simply informed you that the item was incorrectly described, apologised to you, refunded you the money, and let you know that they will relist with correct item description and that you're welcome to bid/purchase on the relisted item.

You can't force the seller to go through with the sale if they've decided they shouldn't/can't/don't want to. It is frustrating if one thinks one's found a bargain or made a good purchase, and you can certainly give the seller a negative if they cancel the sale, and so on, but it won't get you the item.

Mind you, the seller is certainly at fault for not even checking the item sufficiently and for listing it incorrectly. The request for more money may also been seen as trying to avoid part of the eBay Final Value Fees, which is a big no-no. All in all... very sloppy.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Countess has it exactly, a very sloppy piece of work.

Mistakes happen. They happen to everyone at some stage, but for the seller to turn around and ask you for more money when you bid in good faith was plain rude.

First they make a mistake in a listing, then they expect the buyer to make up for the mistake.

Not acceptable.

Countess did mention that the item is, technically, not as described, and the seller could risk buyer anger by sending the wrong thing, so their best option would have been to cancel the sale by letting you know it was incorrectly described.

Where you stand is this: The seller cannot insist on more money, you are not obliged.

But they can cancel a sale.

In this case though I wouldn't help the seller out. If you reply at all, just say you are not prepared to pay more as you bid in good faith and would expect them to honour the sale.

On no account ask them to cancel the sale, that's a great 'out' for them.

I think they will still cancel but hopefully you can give neg or neutral feedback to explain what happened.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I think they will still cancel but hopefully you can give neg or neutral feedback to explain what happened.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They should be able to give them neg or neutral feedback if they scroll down to the bottom of their purchase history or even easier if they click on Awaiting Feedback on the left side of their eBay Summary page.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply