Seller wants me to pay repairs

zanoak1
Community Member

Hi all, 

I hope someone can offer a good opinion to the following.

I purchased an Iphone 6s Plus, item worked well for couple days, now the front facing camera has stopped working. Item was sold with 12 mth warrenty and listed as refurbished/repaired to manufacturer standard.

We have been talking to seller, they have asked us to get repaired locally and they will partial refund the phone.

My quesiton is am I covered by ebay/paypall if i do this? What happens if the seller refuses to reimburse.

Wanting to know as if this is protected then I am more than happy to get repaired locally, as it will rule out transport time etc.

However the paranoid side of me wonders if they will shaft me and leave me with costs if I pay bill for repairs.

Thanks!

Byron

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

No, once it's tampered with, seller can claim zero responsibility and void warranty.

I would open an eBay case if seller is not helpful, you will be asked to return with tracking and seller needing to supply a postage label for the return. Only send to the address specified in the case.

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Can you get a quote for the repair? The seller could reimburse up front that way.
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Digi, then if it still has problems seller might wipe their hands of it.

Personally I wouldn't want this item, being a potential problem in other areas as well.

It just sounds like a dodgy item.

But OP if you want the phone repaired then only do so as suggested.

Get a quote and send a copy to seller.

That way you will see if they pay or not before you have it repaired or still have time to open a case for a full refund.

image host
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

My question is how is there 12 months warranty on the iphone?

Unless it was a brand new unopened still in box then there is no way it would have 12 months warranty

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Probably just a seller on eBay refurbishing phones and saying they will give 12 months warranty with it.

All they usually do is clean n check. Perhaps put in a new cheap Chinese battery.

But as we know the warranties on eBay are not even worth a brass razoo.

image host
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I have purchased many iphones on ebay and people need to know that you're taking a risk and if you're not prepared to expect problems then don't buy iphones on ebay.

I purchased them because I had them refurbished or used them for parts but I never expect any warranty as you can wipe yourself with the warranty given and flush it down the toilet hahaha.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

But OP if you want the phone repaired then only do so as suggested.

Get a quote and send a copy to seller.

That way you will see if they pay or not before you have it repaired or still have time to open a case for a full refund.

That's why I suggested getting a quote as an alternative - if they wanted to wash their hands of the phone entirely, I'm sure they'd go INAD either way, but since they're talking repairs and how to eliminate risks (in as much as possible), getting a firm quote and taking that to the seller would be the easiest, fastest way to see whether the seller will stand by their word. 

If they don't stand by it, then I'd go the INAD route and return the phone, mostly because it was only fully functional for a couple of days. 

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

pj*bear
Community Member
I wouldget in touch with ebay live chat & find out where you stand.
A home without a cat is just a house!!
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply