Seller wants more for postage after paying via PayPal

Just bought an item on ebay now seller wants extra money. Its only $5.80 but I see why should I pay for it when its not my fault. I've sold many items and "sucked" up the extra if it was more to send.

Your thoughts???

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Seller wants more for postage after paying via PayPal

I agree. If the postage is more than I paid, and the seller is low volume, I will reimburse the seller and let them know to expect Paypal funds.

As a seller, I would not ask though.

I'd leave it up to the buyer (if they notice), and would be more careful about checking the costs next time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

I bought an item from eBay $75.00 and 35.00 postage seller now wants 30.00 more postage because I live country wa he was going to cancel transaction if I didn’t pay have paid extra because I want the item I purchased yesterday is this right or should I have just said said no post me what I bought just want to be sure if this ever happens again thanks
Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

Rowdy, although still around, hasn't posted on the boards in the FOUR AND A HALF YEARS since he started this thread.

Given he was asking the question FOUR AND A HALF YEARS ago, he didn't know the answer.

If, however, you READ the replies he got, you might find the answer you're looking for. Failing that, read the many other threads about this issue started in the last FOUR AND A HALF YEARS.

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

It's 2020, and they are still doing this. I bought and paid for a phone in the same State with free postage. Buyer now says I'm in a "remote area" and wants $13.00 postage before they will post it. I have requested a refund. This is definitely NOT OK.

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

@neiltanner wrote:

It's 2020, and they are still doing this. I bought and paid for a phone in the same State with free postage. Buyer now says I'm in a "remote area" and wants $13.00 postage before they will post it. I have requested a refund. This is definitely NOT OK.

can you let us know the listing number so we can take a look at the listing (do not name the seller)

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

I think that these issues arise because of a fault in the eBay system.  They insist on a set postage charge being added to a listing but it's impossible to know how much the postage cost will be pre purchase and the destination is still unknown.  I usually work out a chargebased on a distance a zillion miles from me but even then, I sometimes get caught when a buyer lives in some remote outback area.  One can't be making rough estimates on every postcode in the country.  I always refund any postage overcharge but am also sometimes out of pocket because of this very unfair eBay policy.  I state at the top of my listings that buyers must wait for my official invoice with a message attached, but they never do.  I suspect thast many know immediately that they've been undercharged for postage and quickly pay before any amendments can be made. This just isn't fair! Ebay needs to stop sending automatic invoices to customers, or at least, they need to hold off 24 hrs to give the seller a chance to add the CORRECT postage charge.  As it stands right now, it's a ridiculous expectation to expect sellers to psychically know what postcode a parcel is going to!

@rowdybloke wrote:

Just bought an item on ebay now seller wants extra money. Its only $5.80 but I see why should I pay for it when its not my fault. I've sold many items and "sucked" up the extra if it was more to send.

Your thoughts???

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

You would have loved the old ebay as sellers did not have to list a postage amount.

I know exactly what you mean as postage can vary a lot depending on what state something has to be sent to. We often used to list things without a postal rate and invoice once we saw the address or ask in ad for people to ask us for exact quote.

BUT I think it did cost us a bit in sales. The items with postage mentioned did better.

As a buyer, I know I was always prefer to know exactly where I stand. That goes on all websites these days, not just ebay. I don't know if I would be willing to commit to buy unless I knew what I would be up for as it does make a difference to the overall price and allows you to compare items.

I think all you can do is look at top likely postage rate and maybe incorporate it into the price of the item, maybe then list as free postage. If you sell something, don't go giving refunds on postage.

Postage is a funny thing, buyers don't like to pay much more than the aus post rates and some don't like to see a cent over it, while realistically, you also have packaging to consider, so depending on the item, "free" postage may be the way to go.

The other thing I have seen on ebay is ads where people can work out differing freight costs to their own postcode. This is normally for heavier items.

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

If you use calculated postage, theoretically the buyer will see the correct postage. There is no eBay requirement to quote a flat postage rate.

If your items will fit in standard AP products, they are flat rate country-wide.

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

Don't leave any feedback until you receive the item and are happy with it 🙂

this will teach me to look at the post date 🤪🤪🤪

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

This just happened to me too with the same excuse that I am in a “remote area” which I am DEFINITELY NOT in a remote area. It seems to be a ploy that some sellers are using!! I have demanded the item be posted or a full refund within 24 hours or I will be putting in a PayPal claim and leaving negative feedback.

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply