Seller wants more for postage after paying via PayPal

Just bought an item on ebay now seller wants extra money. Its only $5.80 but I see why should I pay for it when its not my fault. I've sold many items and "sucked" up the extra if it was more to send.

Your thoughts???

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

You shouldn't be paying any extras. I'm sure there is a rule or policy in place on eBay that forbids it
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

If they made a mistake with postage costs then they have to 'wear it'  You should not pay extra.  It should be a lesson to them to pick up their game.  If they want more money

towards the cost of the item, then they are dodging ebay fees and should be reported

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Found it!

It actually comes up under "Avoiding Fees", then click on "Offering or requiring additional purchases".
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-circumventing.html

Not allowed

Not allowed

You can't offer or require the buyer to:

• Make an additional purchase

• Pay an amount beyond the final price and a reasonable shipping charge

• Take any unrelated action (such as pay for a hotel room) as a condition for receiving the item or its benefit (such as free or discounted airfare)

Even though the seller isn't actually "avoiding fees" the policy is still in place for anyone offering extra charges.

I listed an item many many years ago that wrote in the description "Add insurance for $XXXX" and eBay said I was being naughty and took my listing down because I was "avoiding fees".

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

They can ask but you don't have to agree and if it were me unless they were a total newbie I would send them a very terse email telling them that I purchased going by the total amount payable and I would like them to post my item out asap.

I would mark down their communication star quite severely for them having the cheek to ask.

If they did not send the item I would neg 'em.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Just an update

The seller has aggreed not to charge me the extra after I emailed them to let them know I will not be paying. They have claimed to have posted the item to me so now its a waiting game to see if they did.

Should I leave positive feedback but???

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

That's good news! If the item is all good then I don't see why not. The seller seems to have communicated in a kind and efficient manner.
Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Yes that's what I thought as well
Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

That happened to me after I paid for item.Got email from seller who said oh sorry I put the wrong postage amount in so I will refund you. I was mad as hell. Once you have paid its a binding contract. I dont put postage costs on ebay seller does. Be warned. Please sellers let bygones be bygones. And give us buyers a break.
Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

I would have offered to pay if it was a small seller, some sellers are just trying to get by. I have paid the difference in postage as a seller but i can afford it. Lots of buyers expect refunds if the postage is less so it's only fair that it works the other way around and yes I refund postage if the buyer has paid more.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply