Seller wont send to PO Box

I've just encountered two sellers that don't say anything about not sending to PO Box anywhere in their listing & you only find this out once you go to buy the item.

Then you have to ask then if you can cancel the order.

Not good enough. They send the items by post anyhow, so I don't see what the problem is from their end.

But if it was in their listing that they don't send to PO Box I wouldn't buy from them & therefore wouldn't have to ask to cancel the order.

How can this be avoided?

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Seller wont send to PO Box

@tazzieterror wrote:

@4channel wrote:

@tazzieterror wrote:

Stop defending lazy buyers, 4channel.

Just becuse some buyers don't see where it says ....  "I don't send to P.O. boxes" (When and if it's there) doesn't make them lazy.

If I was still selling and for some reason I didn't send to P.O. boxes or a certain area, I'd make it clear for the buyers. Doesn't take much effort.

Price, quantity, title, postage cost, seller name, etc etc are all consistently displayed in the same parts of the page as those from any other listing. Likewise return policy, shipping service options, handling time, and....postage exclusions!

Arguing that a seller is somehow making life difficult for buyers by not manually transposing any of this information into their item description is backwards. Your argument is backwards.

You're true to form tazzieterror. Smiley Frustrated  When people are browsing and browsing, sometimes they don't notice the hidden things and when in the excitement of things they buy without scanning the whole page (( how often does that happen? Smiley Wink )), they buy without noticing the tiny print. If I was a seller, I'd be more proactive ad forward in my attitude buy putting a clear note: I DON"T POST TO P.O. BOX's. Other forward thinking sellers do this.

Message 21 of 34
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@tazzieterror wrote:

Price, quantity, title, postage cost, seller name, etc etc are all consistently displayed in the same parts of the page as those from any other listing. Likewise return policy, shipping service options, handling time, and....postage exclusions!

Arguing that a seller is somehow making life difficult for buyers by not manually transposing any of this information into their item description is backwards. Your argument is backwards.

You're true to form tazzieterror. Smiley Frustrated  When people are browsing and browsing, sometimes they don't notice the hidden things and when in the excitement of things they buy without scanning the whole page (( how often does that happen? Smiley Wink )), they buy without noticing the tiny print. If I was a seller, I'd be more proactive ad forward in my attitude buy putting a clear note: I DON"T POST TO P.O. BOX's. Other forward thinking sellers do this.

Hidden things? Tiny print? All the details I listed are in the same place and in the same font size from listing to listing - you're the one advocating information be relocated to a non-standard location on the page, and no doubt in varying font style, colour, or size. That's when a buyer - caught up in the "excitement of things" - would miss critical information.

If you're struggling to read the text of a listing, all modern browser will allow you to enlarge the displayed text size - please consult the hlpe menu of your browser.

If you were a seller, you'd actually have half a clue (maybe) about the listing process, about how details are added to a listing and information is divided into different sections, copied across from listing to listing, etc etc.

Why aren't you also complaining about sellers not including their return policy, shipping options, handling time, feedback score, last 12 months of feedback comments, item location, etc etc in the item description as well? Wouldn't want the buyer missing out on all those critical details as well, right?  Why should they be burdened with the hassle, the inconvneince, of information being divided up into logical sections for easy navigation?  Just lump it all in together, right? Couldn't possibly cause any problems, right?

As I stated previously...backwards.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 22 of 34
Latest reply

The stupidity of the PO Box ban for deliveries in 2021 is mind boggling.  For a start to open a PO Box these days you need the same ID check as opening a bank account.  These were all measures put in place post 9/11 yet business has not caught up.  People have PO boxes because they don't want items left on the front step to be stolen especially small package value items like a smart phone.  Why because the vast majority of on line shoppers will be at work when an item is delivered.  

Then you have the fast growing trend of high density living with apartment blocks.  Where is the parcel left for those people in a secure place ?

As far as I can see no seller should be in business if they refuse PO boxes and should be banned from Ebay.

The Post Office cannot refuse a parcel providing it's not a lounge chair that is in the name of the post office box holder.  That's what you pay for each year.  It's the perfect solution to online shopping ESPECIALLY if you live in a multi storey apartment block.  This is where Amazon is 10 years behind the times as well.

Message 23 of 34
Latest reply

I guess you've conveniently missed the bit where couriers (apart from Star Track) WILL NOT deliver to PO boxes, unless they're prepared to pay for it - which they won't do.

In many countries overseas PO boxes are not safe, so OS sellers will put a blanket ban on PO boxes, which is their right.

Should sellers be banned from using eBay if they use couriers ?  Nope.............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 24 of 34
Latest reply

And the part where this thread is a year old and been done to death, do dome people just like to whinge ? When it is all said and done, eBay has never put a gun to my head to make me buy on here, sheesh.

I am working on a companies website right now so I know what I am talking about when I suggest maybe when opening an old thread - Post a link to ANY other website store that shows all this info in thier listed products, now that would be interesting.

Message 25 of 34
Latest reply

@gb280zx wrote:

The stupidity of the PO Box ban for deliveries in 2021 is mind boggling.  For a start to open a PO Box these days you need the same ID check as opening a bank account.  These were all measures put in place post 9/11 yet business has not caught up.  People have PO boxes because they don't want items left on the front step to be stolen especially small package value items like a smart phone.  Why because the vast majority of on line shoppers will be at work when an item is delivered.  

Then you have the fast growing trend of high density living with apartment blocks.  Where is the parcel left for those people in a secure place ?

As far as I can see no seller should be in business if they refuse PO boxes and should be banned from Ebay.

The Post Office cannot refuse a parcel providing it's not a lounge chair that is in the name of the post office box holder.  That's what you pay for each year.  It's the perfect solution to online shopping ESPECIALLY if you live in a multi storey apartment block.  This is where Amazon is 10 years behind the times as well.

there is a solution offered by Aust Post, but it will cost you something like $24 for up to 50 parcels per year.

The way it works is that Aust Post will provide you with an address . . . . . (going to take me too long)

Go to the Aust Post webpage and do a search for “P.O. BOX PLUS” and click on the second link that appears on the search.

From that web page:

Upgrade to PO Box Plus to get more parcels, more often

Have you tried to use your PO Box as your shipping address when online shopping, but it won’t let you? No problem!

If you upgrade to PO Box Plus,8 you can get up to 50 eligible parcels per billing year delivered to your PO Box by other carriers, not just Australia Post and StarTrack.9

When you upgrade, we’ll give you a unique ‘Suite’ address corresponding to your PO Box that you can enter at the checkout.

On arrival at the Post Office, your parcel will then be placed in your PO Box, in a red door parcel locker if it’s too big, or we’ll notify you that it is ready for collection over the counter.

Message 26 of 34
Latest reply

Yep, took me awhile to find where it states the exclusion. Unfortunately there is a growing number of sellers excluding PO boxes, I'd like to know WHY? I live in a remote location with no home deliveries by Aus Post (or even couriers) so everything ends up at the post office anyway.

Message 27 of 34
Latest reply

why not list your address as the P.O. address? c/-

Message 28 of 34
Latest reply

price is the problem.

Message 29 of 34
Latest reply

??  price is the problem  ??