Stop Chinese scams

Two items purchased this week with iitem locations in Sydney. Turns out they are location scammers from Hong Kong and China. They dont have anything in Australia and have likely never set foot here. My items do not arrive on time and the scammers have supplied a chinese tracking number. Its been enterd as an Auspost tracking number through ebay but Auspost website does not recognise the number.  

Ebay are fully aware but because they make a cut from these scams and because there are so many it's a good revenue. This started becoming an absolute joke.. People select the AUSTRALIA ONLY BUTTON all they get is dozens of Chinese scammers misrepresenting the location. Its been happening for more than a decade.

What we need to do is get together. There needs to be mass complaints at the same time to the ACCC and also members of parliment. Regarding this. Given the current situation i think it's about time people start to wake up to deceptive Chinese. 

Who wants to join me?

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: Stop Chinese scams

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

hey proshop, can you let us know the item number for the item you bought?

Perhaps the OP forgot about debita diligentia ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 21 of 54
Latest reply

@proshop71 wrote:

Lets ask those who have commented that its my fault for buying.

If you use Australian only listings, Find an item with ebay location in Sydney. Read description which states that item ships from Sydney within 2 days. States that Auspost is used and will arive within 7 days of purchse. 

Now being that chinese can sell stock out of Australia and there are many who do..  what part of this is my bad for thinking the item would come from Sydney? Interested to here why seller registration is as important as you think.

Personally i think its more the fact that the seller is dishonest rather than a buyers fault.  Anybody think that sellers should be honest and ebay should make sure they are?  Too many low iq's on ebay

This is a constant problem on ebay. Lots of other buyers complain about exactly the same thing.

My understanding (I am a buyer so I won't pretend I know all the seller regulations though) is that it is against ebay policy to misrepresent item location, though what action ebay takes I am not sure.

I agree that if an item is listed as being in Sydney, sent with Australia Post and ETA within 7 days, then that is what you would expect to be true.

It should not be a given that buyers should have to do an investigative job before committing to buy, but unfortunately that seems to be the case on ebay.

I understand that some of these sellers may be showing a tracking detail, but it surely would not show as delivered?

I think the only thing to do is if the ETA passes and your goods have not arrived, open an item not received claim pretty much immediately. If they can't prove delivery, then surely you should get a refund?

The way i deal with things on ebay is these days, I do check feedback and I do expect items to arrive by the ETA or within a few days of it. No way any more that I would wait weeks. The problem with some sellers has been happening for years and ebay has done nothing much to stop it so unfortunately buyers need to be on the alert.

Message 22 of 54
Latest reply

jabl4815
Community Member

i contacted aus post to find out how they do it. here is how  they get a tracking no registered so ebay think its been sent 

"I've taken a look at he scans and his is a “dropship” delivery, meaning the sender may have a warehouse located overseas and has an arrangement in place with a third party and Australia Post. They ship from overseas using a third party company, who then lodge the item for delivery with Australia Post as a domestic item. On the 30.03 they notified us via an electronic manifest that they intend to lodge the parcel within our network. That’s the shipping information scan that you can see. These aren’t physical scans of the parcel however, and just an electronic submission by the sender. They've handed the parcel over to us between then and the 10th. The good news is that there was a scan on the 10th so you'll receive your parcel soon. - Amanda"

Message 23 of 54
Latest reply

I to have been scammed bought an item from Sydney express post and now 2 weeks later no delivery they will not reply to my emails . eBay needs to clamp down on them big time.

Message 24 of 54
Latest reply

@coffee1440 wrote:

I to have been scammed bought an item from Sydney express post and now 2 weeks later no delivery they will not reply to my emails . eBay needs to clamp down on them big time.

You're only scammed if you allow it to happen. Why have you not opened an item not received dispute?

Message 25 of 54
Latest reply

eBay has no financial interest to stop them from placing misleading item location so it won't,  unless there are enough people complaining to ACCC and have them take some sort of action.  As it stands eBay even helps scammers continuing to post deceiving ads by removing negative feedbacks you leave them if the feedback hurts the seller's feeling or they can show some other reason to have it removed, like not their fault for long shipping delays, etc .

And then there are the sellers using multiple seller accounts( which eBay allows because it means more revenue for them )  and sellers changing between accounts when feedback begins to drop which makes a mockery of the feedback system.  In the old days you used to be able to look at the number of name changes a seller had to help spot a dodgy seller but now eBay makes it hard to avoid them and you could even say it protects them. 

If you look at the face mask sellers you can spot the dodgy multiple account sellers claiming Aust stock selling hundreds of boxes of masks over a period of 2-3 days from what until recently have been dormant accounts then once they reach their Paypal account

limitations the account goes quiet again and they change to another account. 

For anyone looking to buy face masks on eBay you should look at the feedback to make sure there are positive feedbacks received for the masks, (private listing) feedbacks also a red flag that seller maybe trying to hide information. If they advertise Aust stock and they sold a few hundred boxes then it shouldn't take more then a few days before the feedback stars rolling in, if it doesn't then location is fake or the face masks are a pre-order.     

@ proshop 71,   at least if you have a delivery date and item is shown as received or picked up by Aus Post you know it will arrive. From reading some of the face mask sellers feedback if you are unlucky you may not have all the masks you bought,  they may  come in a plastic bag instead of original boxes ,  the masks could fall apart when you try to use them  or have missing rubbers but at least you will receive something.    

Message 26 of 54
Latest reply

here is a different one 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-50pcs-Disposable-Clinic-Medical-Mouth-Ear-Loop-Safe-Flu-Face-Mask-Ser...

Sold 1888 boxes before the entire shop disappeared. Seller probably uses a different account to continue to sell "Aus stock" face masks which are probably still on backorder in some factory in China or stuck on some container.

eBay has been removing this seller's negative feedbacks left by buyers because he probably complained to eBay and claimed that shipping is out of his control.  Perhaphs if the seller didn't lie about the item location shipping would not have been an issue and only delayed by a few days at most.

Message 27 of 54
Latest reply

Just received eBay decision on above case, a full refund was received. Not only did the seller lied about the item location but also used an invalid tracking number so probably just another eBay face mask bandit who never intended to send the goods from any location. 🙂
Message 28 of 54
Latest reply

I agree, this must stop, sellers misrepresenting item as being in Australia, only after purchasing notice the item is sent from China.

Now China has thousands of containers sitting on docks not going anywhere in the forseeable future.

Ebay stop the ripoff !

Can we get together and start a class action lawsuit against Ebay for fraudelently allowing sellers on their platform allowing for us to be scammed.

Message 29 of 54
Latest reply

The people on here defending this scam are the very ones comitting the scam I bet there are millions of them in this forum.

Message 30 of 54
Latest reply