Suspected stolen items

As a dealer in computers, mobile phones and tablets, I have current manufacturer/distributor pricelists and I often see these items advertised at prices significantly below dealer pricing - these items are also accompanied by the seller refusing to accept returns and refusing to accept Paypal and other forms of payments - except bank transfers.

This has triggered 'alarm bells' off in my mind... not literally, but it does lead me to suspect that these items are not legit, or there is a problem with the item or... maybe the items are stolen.

Is there any way of eBay verifying with the seller that items are legit and not broken or stolen? 

I mean, I have no objection to these items being sold on eBay if customers are protected from unscrupulous sellers.  In fact, at some of the prices listed, I wouldn't mind availaing my business of these items - if they are legit and come with factory backed warranty.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Suspected stolen items

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The chances of those items having a factory backed warranty are slim to zero.

Ebay could ask for verification of the legitimacy of the items but they won't.

They prefer to wait for a buyer to have problems with the purchase and ask for a refund.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Suspected stolen items

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Ebay believes in Caveat Emptor - buyer beware.

Up to the buyer to do due diligence.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Suspected stolen items

To my mind, any seller refusing Credit Card or Paypal [or other safe payment platforms] and insisting on transfer of funds direct to bank is trouble.

As to being stolen, probably not, simply put, they probbly don't even exist.

Steer clear, if it looks to good to be true, it usually is

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Suspected stolen items

There are ways to buy stock at a fraction of wholesale prices, does not mean they are stolen but you are no going to get a warranty.

If a seller will only accept bank transfer for payment, shop elsewhere.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply