Unnecessarily rude sellers ..

Seriously, what is with rude sellers? I just asked a seller what their best price was and when I got the amount I politely said ‘thanks but no thanks’ (hey some might not even respond ) and next thing I know I have the CHIP of his/her shoulder hurled at me. Some rubbish about how I should go to Kmart... (um relevance?)

This is not the first time when sellers have become stroppy - I’ve dealt with some who have reneged, lied about postage or sent faulty items. I’m sick of buyers bring the baddies. I always try to be polite until I’m pushed.. Sellers love to complain about buyers (btw I sell too) but some sellers need to go to customer relationship training and stop taking out (I assume) bad experiences with other buyers on me! (Instead learn to look at feedback first..Mine is excellent and it is insulting when that is not even acknowledged ).
Guess I’m getting grumpy in my old age...
Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Unnecessarily rude sellers ..

@porcelain_dolls_by_me wrote:

Don't agree - try breaking the response into two parts as was possibly intended.

"Thanks" - acknowledging the sellers response     and

"No Thanks" - I will pass on the price

Perfectly reasonable response.  Maybe some people try reading too much into things?

I read into it exactly what was said, nothing more.  I've heard the expression used many times and it's always used in a derogatory way, never polite.

If they "possibly intended" it to be broken into two parts, why not type it that way?  To read it that way is to make assumptions.

Message 21 of 36
Latest reply

pdme_dolls,

For someone learning English as a second language, that phrase might not seem to carry any rudeness in it, but for a native speaker, it definitely does.

However, "Thanks, but no thanks" has in its second part "no thanks" which has adopted the meaning that actually you are explicitly not thanking for the offer (in other words, is not just a neutral "no", as in the German version - in English the "thanks" seems to have become a substantive here)

❝[...] "thanks, but no thanks" is often used as a mocking euphemism for "gee, that's a stupid idea, I will of course not do that"

- Comments upon the phrase being used in an email to a professor.

Eric Partridge and Paul Beale (in A Dictionary of Catch Phrases) note that it is ❝often ironic -- that is, the offer refused had been no favour❞.

Betty Kirkpatrick in her book Clichés says of the phrase that ❝It is often rather an impolite rejection❞.

Without a warm spoken tone or facial expression to alleviate the associated impoliteness or irony, using the phrase in written communication has a strong likelihood of striking the person at whom it's directed as a deliberate attempt to convey lack of gratitude, rather than polite thanks.

Message 22 of 36
Latest reply

NO - maybe you are being too precious and reading too much into the commnet.

A simple "comma" does not change my point

Message 23 of 36
Latest reply

So thank you everyone for the responses - it has been such a year I didn’t get a chance to come back until now. I must say I was pretty annoyed when I wrote that - all trivial in the larger scheme of things considering the year that is.
Unfortunately I relayed what I said really poorly - I didn’t actually use those exact words - I was trying to give the gist of the conversation.
Lots of interesting replies though.

I still think being told to go to Kmart by the seller a bit rich!
Message 24 of 36
Latest reply

It was a bit rich. I can say that I have dealt with some strange sellers and sellers who punish a buyer sometimes. I always am polite and try to not make it seem like I'm dictating. I was punished by a seller who sent me item smelling like chicken manure.  This was because I suggested an item should be disassembled to fit in better and thus reduce shipping costs. It was done. Seller never left FB for me. I was very polite in asking but some people have issues.

Message 25 of 36
Latest reply

Yes, I agree with you, I’ve dealt with some arrogant sellers too, some are very greedy and get stroppy when they can’t make a sale or bully their unsatisfied buyers if negative feedback is received. I am a seller and buyer. As a seller, I always treat my customers or enquires with respect. I worked full time in K-mart before internet came along and was always told by the managers to smile, be nice and polite to your customers no matter what, even if they complain, they come first. I stick to this golden rule. Also, as a buyer, I should have the right to enquire and bargain with the seller, and they should respect their buyers. Saying “thanks but no thanks” is nothing bad, the seller who bullied back definitely needs to learn to put their customers first. Without customers they wouldn’t have a business. I hope all sellers, particularly sellers without people skills can think about the golden rule next time of putting their customers first and apply it. My feedback has always been at 100 percent since I started years ago. Respecting works! 

Message 26 of 36
Latest reply

I now understand why some have a buyers account, sellers account and a forum account.

Message 27 of 36
Latest reply

@trendsnmore7 wrote:

Yes, I agree with you, I’ve dealt with some arrogant sellers too, some are very greedy and get stroppy when they can’t make a sale or bully their unsatisfied buyers if negative feedback is received. I am a seller and buyer. As a seller, I always treat my customers or enquires with respect. I worked full time in K-mart before internet came along and was always told by the managers to smile, be nice and polite to your customers no matter what, even if they complain, they come first. I stick to this golden rule. Also, as a buyer, I should have the right to enquire and bargain with the seller, and they should respect their buyers. Saying “thanks but no thanks” is nothing bad, the seller who bullied back definitely needs to learn to put their customers first. Without customers they wouldn’t have a business. I hope all sellers, particularly sellers without people skills can think about the golden rule next time of putting their customers first and apply it. My feedback has always been at 100 percent since I started years ago. Respecting works! 

Don't make statements that can be checked.

Go back far enough and you have several red dots in your fb.

And this old thread was dragged up for no reason

Message 28 of 36
Latest reply

2 negs from one person and 1 from another to be exact. the other 3,601 seemed happy enough. I would have thought that would be a pretty good out-come by seller standards?

Message 29 of 36
Latest reply

@ratman0100 wrote:

2 negs from one person and 1 from another to be exact. the other 3,601 seemed happy enough. I would have thought that would be a pretty good out-come by seller standards?

Yes, but the point Stawks was making was that trendsnmore7 said "My feedback has always been at 100 percent since I started years ago."  Which is obviously untrue whichever way you look at it.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 30 of 36
Latest reply