Used Macbook Issue.

Hi all, purchased a used Apple Macbook Laptop from a seller who described it as being refurbished by them and being in good working order and overall condition. It was purchased to give as a present for someone, which makes the problem even worse.

After only three days of use it began randomly crashing. I contacted the seller who said he was very sorry and he had being using the Laptop for his own use without any problem appearing. He told us to check for updates to the software which we did, to no avail.

I started to be a bit concerned at this point due to the claim that it had being refurbished, and one would expect that it should be upto date with all this done before selling. We phoned Apple to double check that we were doing the updates ok and they confirmed that we did. I again contacted the seller who promised to get things right, and he was going to post ot the operating system disc so that we can do a reformatt on it, hoping that will fix it. He stated he had upgraded the Ram and it may need reformatting. A few days have past and still no disc in the mail. It is only at the 3 week point from the purchase date, so still plenty of timeframe left yet so to speak.

My concern is that he had several listings when we made the purchase, but now all of a sudden he has nothing for sale. He has been replying to emails, but usually quite late at night and a few days between. He listed the item as been in the Sydney area.

Just like a second opinion on the feel on this one.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Used Macbook Issue.

sounds like he wasn't qualified to refurbish anything. I would open a dispute through ebay's money back guarantee.
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Used Macbook Issue.

After only three days of use it began randomly crashing - There's nothing wrong with it it's working just like apple intended,

the best part if you take it to apple they will demand you buy a top of the line unit and if you don't have enough money then apple don't want to know you because after all like a long serving apple salesman once told me "our tartget market is the sort of people who buy BMW and mercedes cars"

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Used Macbook Issue.

Thanks for the advice. I was really looking for something helpful though. Maybe next time.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Used Macbook Issue.

I would take Harley-babes advice and perhaps out of interest take it to an Apple Store, If you have one nearby, and ask their advice of what they believe is wrong. Don't let them take it out of your sight or open the inside because that may negate and case you open with eBay or PayPal and it's important to NOT change anything at this stage if you decide to open any sort of case. If the case does not get resolved or you decide to keep the laptop, you can also ask advice from a non-apple PC repairer. And yes as the other response here says, Apple retailers may 'encourage' you to purchase a high end laptop to replace yours if they believe it is 'faulty beyond repair' or 'too costly to repair' ...... but you would only engage in that type of purchase if you were open to it. So check other options out first. I have an Apple laptop which Apple told me was too expensive to repair so 'I should consider replacing it' ....... however, I brought it home and hooked up an external keyboard and mouse (both apple which I had) and its working for now. Your situation may be different but my example shows to always look at other options. Just a thought.
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply