Warranty

I purchased a diesel heater on eBay and didn't fit it for some months when I did I found the pump to be faulty, I contacted the seller but got no response. My experience with sellers on eBay is sometimes so frustrating all sellers should be made to list a contact address and phone number.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Warranty

Why didn't you ' fit ' it immediately - made sure it worked - made sure it was what you paid for. ??

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

"Warranties" on eBay are generally speaking worthless UNLESS they are given by an Australian authorised seller or reseller of the goods.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

If you paid via PayPal, you have 180 days under its Buyer Protection. Open a dispute in PayPal immediately if the 180 days hasn’t lapsed.

If you didn’t go through PayPal but you paid by credit card, the T&Cs of your card issuer may at most be 6 months, so you may be able to have a chargeback instigated.

If your seller is an authorised Australian dealer for the heater, you should be covered by Australian Consumer Legislation.

Otherwise, you’re toast.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Why?

So sellers can be harassed at will by any buyer who chooses to do so forever ?

And for avoidable issues non the less

Firstly, unless the seller you chose to buy from is authorised to sell or re-sell the product, there is no warranty

No matter what the listing said

If you did buy from an authorised seller, contact their company/boss/agent

Secondly, had you fitted it before 'some months' had passed, you would have had buyer protection

(of course because you did not do this either, you want sellers to be forced to give out personal information for anyone to use for any reason)

So do tell, assuming you had this information, exactly what would you do with it and how would you force the seller to do anything which is not covered under eBay policy?

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

If you purchased through a chinese seller you would be best to just purchase another pump which can be as little as $20.  

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Sellers have no obligation after 30 days from your receipt of the item. The time to check things and make sure they work is when you get them, not after some months.

Why do you think a random third party seller on Ebay is going to offer any proper type of warranty? Ebay is not in the business of monitoring listings and cannot enforce a seller to do anything after 30 days. Very often, sellers are based/registered overseas, such as in China and are selling lower grade products and equipment - which means even less than zero probability of the seller assisting when things go wrong. 

If you want items with warranties, you need to buy from proper Australian-based bricks and mortar stores, or their individual online websites. Anything less and you're on you own.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Hind sight is a wonderful thing and yes you're right I should have waited till I was ready to fit it.

Lesson learnt.

Ebay should still be bound by Australian consumer law, and I will never leave feedback until I have made sure that the items are all ok.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@pauls_bartering wrote:

Ebay should still be bound by Australian consumer law.............

Essentially eBay is an advertising platform for sellers that gives buyers a great deal of help if things go wrong, IF they abide by eBay's policies for buyer protection.

You didn't and have now discovered that you are not covered by that buyer protection.

The sellers that use the platform have to abide by the ACL IF they are registered in Australia, if they are not registered in Australia then the ACL does not apply to them.

Where is your seller registered ? - look at their feedback to find that out.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

I have 2 other suggestions:

1) If you paid with Paypal, you have 6 months to open a case. If you are able to do this, the seller may respond and make promises to send a new one if you close it etc. Do not listen to them and do not close the case until you have a refund.

2) If you paid with a credit card, contact your bank and see if you can do a chargeback

Come back and keep us updated.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply