When Free postage is not free at all

After agreeing to purchase an item for $1,000 a couple of days ago and paying for it immediately via Paypal I was surprised to receive an email the following day requiring me to pay $40.00 postage costs when the Ebay advert clearly states that shipping to within 50km of any CBD in Australia is free.

To me that tells me that as my required shipping address for the item is within 3km of the local town's CBD the shipping is free because it clearly states 'ANY' CBD in Australia.

The seller is now refusing to dispatch the item to me unless I pay them the $40.00 they now demand for shipping, which I might add did not show up in the total I was required to pay via Paypal at the time.

The seller argues that they mean any capital city CBD in Australia, not just any CBD in Australia as the Ebay advert clearly reads.

To my understanding of Australian Fair Trade practises it is illegal to charge additional fees for any reason after the goods have been paid for in full according to the sales/purchase contract.

It is also illegal to state in that contract 'Free Shipping/postage' is part of the agreed terms, then charge an additional fee for shipping.

As usual, Ebay isn't overly interested when one of their powersellers not only breaks Ebay rules, but also the law, so it looks as though the only alternative in this case will be to file an official complaint with the Office of Fair Trading.

Personally I think that when any seller so blatantly does this sort of thing Ebay should either suspend their selling account immediately, if not terminate it altogether.

What say you?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: When Free postage is not free at all

@moorna12 wrote:

A simple apology from them for their stuff up, and then just get on with things would have saved them everything I'm planning for them now.

I tend to be a vengeful, unforgiving B when rubbed up the wrong way lol.

Just out of curiosity, what are you "planning for them now"?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: When Free postage is not free at all

@nevillesdaughter wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

Sorry missed that. My eyes tend to glaze over.

HE is very experienced in eBay scams and thus should know how to protect himself.

Shows how alert I am - when the OP referred to themselves as an "unforgiving B" I assumed they meant "itch". Perhaps I'm projecting.....

Marina.

I can't say that's a word I have EVER associated with you, Marina!

Practical, Hillariously Funny, Honest, Compassionate, all of those, but you will notice that none of those start with a B.......

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 12 of 12
Latest reply