Why are there so many fake Michael Kors bags? I'm just disgusted,the majority are knock offs. Grrr.

I understand there is no authentication process, but surely there could be a uniform requirement for upload photos - that the base of the bag must be included. Not that that will prevent it but it's really widespread. It's hard for buyers to beware. There should be more penalties if the merch is demonstrated to be fake.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Why are there so many fake Michael Kors bags? I'm just disgusted,the majority are knock offs. Gr

Do you reckon the Asian knock-off shops can't fake the base of the bag ????

If an item is too cheap to be true, as the saying goes, then it's likely to be a fake.

As always "buyer beware", eBay's no different to any other online marketplace, or market stall in that respect.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Re: Why are there so many fake Michael Kors bags? I'm just disgusted,the majority are knock offs. Gr

@padi*0409 wrote:

Do you reckon the Asian knock-off shops can't fake the base of the bag ????

If an item is too cheap to be true, as the saying goes, then it's likely to be a fake.

As always "buyer beware", eBay's no different to any other online marketplace, or market stall in that respect.

Or in real life, if someone advertises a car for $500 and those cars currently sell for around $7k, you could safely assume there is no motor in it.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

................or it was 4 inches long Kat.................

Chinese clothing size. hahahaha

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

In answer to your header question, my guess would be that it's because the originals are valuable.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I have a Michael Kors bag.

It has buttons on the bottom with the name.

And the liner has the name.

But, is it genuine?   I dunno.

I also have a Michael Kors necklace.

Is that genuine?   Dunno that either.

Both are put away until I can figure it out.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@textur-4,

eBay don't have a vigorous anti-knock-off security programme in place. Instead, they rely on the brands policing listings where it's more than likely that the item is fake, through their VERO programme.

The reason for the VERO brands reporting listings is often that the brand doesn't allow sales of their items on eBay; ergo, it's a trademark violation or breach of T&Cs, and almost certainly fraudulent. Sometimes one or two particular sellers are granted permission by the parent company, so these are legitimate authorised resellers.

eBay also rely on user reports. That's not as straightforward as the VERO situation, but still, it does mean that some flagrant sellers of fakes have their listings taken down and their accounts restricted.

It almost never affects Chinese eBay sellers. That is because copyright and IP are very differently managed in China. eBay Australia can pass on reports to eBay.cn, but they can't enforce the T&Cs of eBay Australia (or eBay.co.uk or eBay.com, etc.) upon sellers registered on eBay.cn. eBay.cn will as a rule not shut down the sellers of fake items.

Generally speaking, there are no consequences to sellers of fake items if they are based in China.

These sellers are ONLY able to operate and make a profit because Australian buyers (among others) continue to buy goods that they must be aware are well below RRP and are "too good to be true". Until Australian buyers stop that behaviour, Chinese eBay sellers will continue to flourish.

You say it's "hard for buyers to beware". It is not, not really. I cannot recall how many times I've said this or posted this, but basically - if the listed price is well below the RRP, don't fool yourself into thinking that it's a 'very good price". You are not going to find designer goods going at rock-bottom prices. You're simply not. That goes against the very heart of how designer goods are marketed and sold. If the genuine items can be obtained cheaply, they lose a very powerful part of how they're sold at the high prices they generally command. The designer bag that can be purchased on eBay at a steal is highly - very highly - likely to be a cheaply made fake that wouldn't fool anyone who checks its quality.

So... caveat emptor, the old warning to buyers, really does apply. Unless you're buying from an authorised seller on eBay (that is, verified as an authorised seller by your contacting the parent company and asking), assume that the bargain designer item is a fake - especially if the seller is registered in China.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you very much for at least engaging with the actual question, I didn’t ask why there are knock offs, I asked why eBay is so slack at verification and your reply led me to the answer. Michael Kors is a big company but they can’t do full time diligence on all sites globally. Second and third party traders flout the law constantly. It is ironic that most fakes don’t even bother with the feet. Thanks a lot for putting in the effort for me.
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply