Why do some clothes sellers do this!

Another listing for an article of clothing just now where the seller has provided the measurements in inches.

This is Australia, not the USA. We don't think or talk in inches in Australia. Yes, I know that an inch is 2.5cm, but as I was taught - as an Aussie, in an Australian school,  to measure and think in cms - why on earth must they do this??!! If the description says "26 inches" - I have to get my calculator out and convert it. So why not use Australian measurements - i.e. cm's???!!

Just another problem with clothing listings on ebay that needs sorting out. Yes as I mentioned in a previous thread, measurements should be mandatory - and when they are inserted into a description, the only accepted measurement should be cm. This is Australian ebay - use cm's.

On an Australian cooking site, would it be irritating if only pounds, and ounces were used for measurements as per the USA - or would we like to not have to convert everything to what we can understand.

So annoying!!!

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Why do some clothes sellers do this!

You say that but what you really mean is 221419701945 isn't it stalka? Cat LOL Rude.

Message 31 of 43
Latest reply

I would give an arm and leg to view narelles BBL LOL 

Message 32 of 43
Latest reply

Oh it's as long as that but won't cost you an arm  or a leg.

I've been busy on the bottles of Moet i got for Xmas,ask me about my list tomorrow & you will get it for free.

Much of it is from the Boards based on very bad buyer attitude to sellers,some from digging around in buyer fb left for others,a very little however from PIA buyers that i have found from personal annoyance.

Anticipation is the key.I love my Best Buddy List.

Buying is a snap & I've had little to no probs as a buyer.I dunno how there are so many whinging unlucky buyers on SNADbay.

Message 33 of 43
Latest reply

I use ebay. Therefore I'm not yelling and having fits at all the issues that abound. I am merely expressing that there are some problems that buyers encounter again and again that ebay needs to sort.

I don't see how you arguing that we all just need to put up with all the problems and or buy elsewhere is any kind of "help". I do put up with the problems, and if I'm not happy with descriptions and dont think I should buy I don't. Doesnt mean that I shouldnt express that these issues exist and ebay or sellers need to do things differently.

I'm not expecting to change other people. I'm expressing a need for some changes that ebay should implement.

Apparently though this forum is only for sucking up to ebay and keeping each other company.

I thought an ebay forum should be used to vent niggling frustrations with using ebay. But apparently that makes me arrogant and pompous and results in people telling me to just use another kind of conversion chart and stop whinging. Then the whole discussions degrades into name calling and the regulars all rallying to support each other and oust the person who dares to ram home that they as sellers may be flawed. We can't have that can we - after all selling on ebay is a minefield. Damn whinging buyers who you need to take money from. How dare they expect to know details in order to decide if they should buy your item! How dare they need to know if it would fit. How dare they expect to know if it's a fabric they like to wear. And how dare they expect to see a measurements that don't need converting. Damn buyers.

I suggest we buyers stop the whinging, and just start using the Ebay Guarantee every time we don't like what we end up with. Dont ask questions first, just bid then get your money back when you're not happy. Simple isnt it!

Message 34 of 43
Latest reply

there is a link at the bottom of each page to vent your niggling frustrations. It's titled 'tell us what you think'
Message 35 of 43
Latest reply

Thanks will use that from now on.

That leaves this forum for you 'regulars' with 100's if not 1000's of forum posts a nice place to suck up to each other and keep each other company all day while you wait for a buyer.

Message 36 of 43
Latest reply

I absolutely agree that sellers are shooting themselves in the foot by only giving imperial measurements, the Op is right there BUT, and it is a big but, I strongly object to their constant reference to the US and trying to imply that has anything to do with the fact that a great number of people all over the world including Australia were brought up using imperial measurements.

Stay on your high horse by all means but for goodness sake make sure you are on the right horse.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 37 of 43
Latest reply

I was born just after decimal currency came in and I think the metric system came in just after I started school. I do recall seeing road speed signs in MPH, then seeing them change to what we have now. Therefore, all my education was in metric.

I now find it interesting, that my young colleagues at work (in their 20's) will ask what a baby's weight is in pounds when someone mentions it weighs X kg's. Babies have been weighed in kg's since the 80's, yet so many people still want to know what they weigh in pounds, including the youngsters. Only thing I can think of is, their mother may have told them they were 7 pound 6oz when born, so they understand that. Who know?

I also find it interesting at work that things like bandages are measured in inches. If I asked my 22yo colleague to get me a 15cm crepe bandage, she would look at me like I had 2 heads. Ask her for a 6" crepe bandage and she will get me exactly what I want. The size on the packaging is in cm, but for some reason, they are still referred to in inches. Same with quite a few other things.

I collect mineral specimens, mostly purchased from overseas. 9 times out of 10, they are measured in inches. Every now and then I get thrown when someone will list it in mm or cm. I then have to get the tape measure out (which is always kept next to my computer) and see what the measurement is in inches. I have bought quite a few rocks from Aussie sellers and most of them will sell in inches as well. Again, I get thrown if someone sells in mm or cm.

It only takes me a sec to pull the Stanley out and check the measurements, so I just suck it up. If there are no measurements or weights in the listings I look at, I just move on because I never know if the seller has used a macro shot and I don't want to end up with something the size of a pea. If I'm on a buying spree, I don't want to wait for a seller to reply. Plus, a lot of the time when I find things, there isn't  a lot of time left on the auction, so often not enough time to wait for a reply from the seller.

It would be handy for a lot of things if sellers listed both imperial and metric measurements, especially if they offer international postage, but it's their call. If they omit measurements or only use a certain type, then they run the risk of missing out on potential sales. At the end of the day, it's their loss. 

Message 38 of 43
Latest reply

@2011.narelle wrote:

You say that but what you really mean is 221419701945 isn't it stalka? Cat LOL Rude.

double-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif        I lurve it!!!   

But you've got waaaaaaaay too much time on your hands narelle

Message 39 of 43
Latest reply

@ginger_ice_cream wrote:

Another listing for an article of clothing just now where the seller has provided the measurements in inches.

This is Australia, not the USA. We don't think or talk in inches in Australia. Yes, I know that an inch is 2.5cm, but as I was taught - as an Aussie, in an Australian school,  to measure and think in cms - why on earth must they do this??!! If the description says "26 inches" - I have to get my calculator out and convert it. So why not use Australian measurements - i.e. cm's???!!

Just another problem with clothing listings on ebay that needs sorting out. Yes as I mentioned in a previous thread, measurements should be mandatory - and when they are inserted into a description, the only accepted measurement should be cm. This is Australian ebay - use cm's.

On an Australian cooking site, would it be irritating if only pounds, and ounces were used for measurements as per the USA - or would we like to not have to convert everything to what we can understand.

So annoying!!!

I totally agree with you. I am also old enough (born before 1950)  to have been bought up in feet and inches, and pounds and ounces, but for heaven's sake to all those 'older' posters who claim they still think in imperial measurements - metrication in Australia took place between 1970 and 1988. That's plenty of time to get used to cms.

Message 40 of 43
Latest reply