Why is ebay removing negatives left for sellers so easily?

Hi all.

SO unimpressed with ebay removig negatives/neutrals left for sellers selling damaged or items not as decribed.

Then when you ask why they say an internal review was done and they cant tell you why?

Im done buying on ebay. Dodgy feedback policies=dodgy sellers.

Any one else had this problem?

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Unfortunately many members don't read the rules on feedback.

Therefore if there is any mention of a case in feedback, eBay removes it in accordance with their policies.

image host
Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

I haven't had to leave a neg in many years now, but I do know you can generally leave one as long as it is factual and objective. But as kopenhagen said, there are some rules around what can and cannot be mentioned and if you break those rules, the seller can then have the feedback removed.

I have also read about some (very high volume sellers) who for some reason seemed to have a lot of their negative feedback removed even when no rules had been broken.  I'm not sure how that worked but it did seem that some sellers almost had protected status.

I don't think that is anywhere near the case for the majority of sellers though, so if you have struck problems a few times with feedback being removed (and it sounds as if you may have as you mentioned sellers & negative and neutrals being removed), then it's probably down to technical reasons, mentioning something that isn't allowed in feedback.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

@pag_180 wrote:

Hi all.

SO unimpressed with ebay removig negatives/neutrals left for sellers selling damaged or items not as decribed.

Then when you ask why they say an internal review was done and they cant tell you why?

Im done buying on ebay. Dodgy feedback policies=dodgy sellers.

Any one else had this problem?

I'd say that it's best to keep feedback as close to the issue without adding too much emotion. In saying that I can understand the temptation to say just how you feel. I have been ripped off by some horrible sellers in the past and also I have dealt wih sellers that are not setting out to deftraud but make a stuff up and then refuse to take responsibility for their mistakes. Well thought out negatives and neutrals can help others not to fall into the same trap that you may have,

Hopefully you won't have to endure any more bad experiences. Good luck.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

The whole feedback system sucks. The dodgy sellers are also the dodgy buyers and that's worse because buyers are only allowed to receive glowing feedback ๐Ÿ˜โœŒ I think I have posted a comment about this before but I had a buyer make a purchase, I messaged to thank them and say that I'd be posting promptly etc. Message came straight back from buyer saying "If you sweeten the pot, I won't leave negative feedback". wtaf ?? All the same day of purchase with no issues whatsoever! I said that was extortion, against policy blah, that I'd report him, which I did. He left negative feedback and although it was all there within their messaging system, they wouldn't remove it. They said it was the buyers experience? Policies my rear ๐Ÿ˜ policies are only there to protect the big sellers. The rest of us bottom dwellers lol just get thrown under a bus, the bus reverses over us a few times and leaves us with a nice big shiny red dot that Ebay informed me would disappear after a year, so not to worry, it won't affect your sales. Really? 

Yet as you point out, other feedback is removed for no apparent reason

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

I doubt that the negative would have made any difference to your selling but your reply could have made a great difference/

Your reply has done you a great disservice.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

That is extortion plain & simple, to say to a seller they had to sweeten the pot or face neg feedback, before the buyer even got the item.

And I totally agree, if you could show messages to that effect to an ebay operator, they should have removed the feedback immediately PLUS sent a warning to the buyer.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

lyndal

You're joking right? I was going to get a red dot through extortion. Do you believe he would have softened and not followed through if I'd replied nicely? With your experience I'm disappointed in your comment. How would you have handled it, given him a partial refund? Keeping in mind there was nothing wrong with the transaction or the item, or my initial communication which was very polite. What would you have done?

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

With a response like that lyndal, my thought is you must work for Ebay

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

springyzone

Thank you yes I agree, not only should they have removed the feedback, he should be IMO banned from the site. That won't happen though. Scammers make money for them. Bottom line is profit

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply