Wrong size sent

I have just recieved a Hungry Caterpilar baby romper suit I ordered on Ebay.  It is really quite lovely but it is not the size "00"  I ordered.  It is more like a size 2 or 3 - 18" long from neck to crotch and 12" wide and the hat fits me!  I have contacted the seller but am yet to hear back from her.   I read on this forum that I am to pay the return postage in order to get a refund.  Am I reading this correctly?   It seems unfair that I should be out of pocket for the seller's mistake.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Wrong size sent

If the item is not as described and the seller wants it back, they will need to issue you with a return postage label (assuming it was an Australian based seller). Their only other option really is to refund.

The only time you are responsible for postage is if you change your mind about an item you receive, so please don't worry about that.

Give the seller a day or so to respond and then open a case for "Not as Described". Please do NOT let a seller string you along with any promises to send another one. You can always repurchase once you have been refunded.

However, is this item not something that you can use as the child gets bigger? So maybe it's a mistake now, but can be useful in the future?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Wrong size sent

Yes, do what jelly suggested.

Sizes can be quite deceptive because they vary with brands and it is always better to ask if the seller hasn't indicated the measurements.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Wrong size sent

I was actually thinking the same, but I thought it was your decision. If it had been too small it would have been worse, but she will grow up quickly, so if you like it you can keep it and use it in a few months.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Wrong size sent

@river_daisy wrote:

I feel I should leave neutral feedback and an explaination for the benefit of another buyers.

Why penalise a seller because your view of what an ''00'' should be is unrealistic.  

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Wrong size sent

I agree with @sugar.

If there is no label on the outfit, then it's entirely possible that the sizing on this garment just runs big. Although how the seller would know which size they're sending would then be a bit of a mystery since there's no information on the garment.

But wait to see what the seller says first.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Wrong size sent

If the item is not as described and the seller wants it back, they will need to issue you with a return postage label (assuming it was an Australian based seller). Their only other option really is to refund.

The only time you are responsible for postage is if you change your mind about an item you receive, so please don't worry about that.

Give the seller a day or so to respond and then open a case for "Not as Described". Please do NOT let a seller string you along with any promises to send another one. You can always repurchase once you have been refunded.

However, is this item not something that you can use as the child gets bigger? So maybe it's a mistake now, but can be useful in the future?

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Wrong size sent

Yes, do what jelly suggested.

Sizes can be quite deceptive because they vary with brands and it is always better to ask if the seller hasn't indicated the measurements.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Wrong size sent

@river_daisy wrote:

I have just recieved a Hungry Caterpilar baby romper suit I ordered on Ebay.  It is really quite lovely but it is not the size "00"  I ordered.  It is more like a size 2 or 3 - 18" long from neck to crotch and 12" wide and the hat fits me!  I have contacted the seller but am yet to hear back from her.   I read on this forum that I am to pay the return postage in order to get a refund.  Am I reading this correctly?   It seems unfair that I should be out of pocket for the seller's mistake.

If it is truely the wrong size open the item not as described claim, and postage, etc should be sorted.

But from my reading of your details,  what size does the actual tag on the item say.   You mention dimensions, but not what size is actually written on the tag.

Sizing in clothing has never being an exact size, and can be very subjective,  so if the tag says ''00'',  in my opinion you don't have a leg to stand on, although Ebay may side with you.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Wrong size sent

@river_daisy wrote:

I read on this forum that I am to pay the return postage in order to get a refund.  Am I reading this correctly?   It seems unfair that I should be out of pocket for the seller's mistake.

-----------------------

You read the wrong information. No, you don't have to pay return postage for an incorrect item sent to you.

If you were to have had a change of mind about a product and the seller allowed returns, that would be different. You would be up for return postage costs then.

The first thing you need to do is as sugar suggests and look at the tag. If it says size 00 then it may just be a brand that runs big. Brands can vary quite a lot and their definition of what age group would best fit in the garment can vary too, believe it or not.

Have another look at the original ad and see if there is any guide as to that.

If the tag is indeed wrong, then you can open a claim for an item not as described, or sent the wrong item. Just make sure you do it within 30 days of receipt or you won't be able to make an ebay claim. You can open it independently of the seller, whether or not you have heard back from them.

If the tag says 00 though and you think it is incorrectly labelled, that is a murkier sort of situation.  I know sometimes baby outfits can look absolutely massive if the baby isn't in that size yet. But sometimes size 00 will take some babies to 12 months and beyond. What I am saying is it may not be as long as you think before the baby fits into the outfit.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Wrong size sent

Thank you so much for your replies - very helpful.  I am no sure why but there is no size tag on this item.  The cardboard tag is cut, so am wonder if it is perhaps a "factory second" although, to me, it looks perfectly fine.  The seller has still not responded.  I will give her another day or so, then open a dispute.

Thank you again for your help.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Wrong size sent

@river_daisy wrote:

Thank you so much for your replies - very helpful.  I am no sure why but there is no size tag on this item.  The cardboard tag is cut, so am wonder if it is perhaps a "factory second" although, to me, it looks perfectly fine.  The seller has still not responded.  I will give her another day or so, then open a dispute.

Thank you again for your help.

Personally I don't think Ebay should entertain your claim, unless there was specific sizing in the ad, which you havent mentioned.

Sadly Ebay may side with you,  but clothes sizing is so widely different

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Wrong size sent

Can you please give us the item number, so we can have a look at the listing?

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Wrong size sent

Well, if it had a dropdown menu and you selected 00, the size it should be in your order, so eBay should refund you.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Wrong size sent

Item:  14-7822-98095  (drop down menu - '00' ordered.  I am thinking I will keep the outfit until my grandaughter is old enough to wear it, however, I feel I should leave neutral feedback and an explaination for the benefit of another buyers.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply