are high-end designer pro retail sites with million+ allowed to sell their used personal effects?

I just accidentally bid and won a pair of grotty old used jeans from a high end designer brand retailer. I am a new buyer to their site and  the listings endings fly by so fast that I didnt have time to read full description. I only, wrongly ASSUMED, all the items in the several thousand plus listings, are  NEW or factory SECONDS, not used personal effects from the seller. They have millions of positive stars - for top quality items. But, really shouldn't they be listing old persoanl stuff on private separate accounts and not in the pro high end account? It just seems not only bad form but a conflict of interest. It brings down the professionalism to me. The item I got stuck with they are making difficult to cancel and it would not be allowed to be sold in a charity shop in Australia. Why its allowed on a ghi end retail outlet site is beyond me. In Oz we are told at the bottom of listings we can refuse an item is it is faulty, damaged or broken. Well, this is the case.  So I SHOULD be able to cancel the item not have to go through all the hoops and wires and red tape. Selling a person;s old trash clothing on a top end retail site: IS this ethical, lawful, good ebaying practice? Who do I gripe to about this? Not only am I stuck paying for junk but also for INTERNATIONAL postage to have it sent to me! Ouch.. Other people's thoughts?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: are high-end designer pro retail sites with million+ allowed to sell their used personal effec

Sorry, but they can list and sell whatever they like on any of their accounts. (within eBay rules of course)

It is up to the buyer to check pics, condition, description and postage info before buying.

You can message the seller and explain, asking if they wouldn't mind sending you a mutual cancellation.

If they do, make sure you accept it so the seller gets their fees credited back.

image host
Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Re: are high-end designer pro retail sites with million+ allowed to sell their used personal effec

I am sorry but if they look grotty and used in the photo why would you bid in the first place,  There must have been something that attracted you to the jeans.  Why should you be able to cancel the sale if in fact the description is correct.  As stated the onus is on you in this circumstance.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Certainly have a lot of items for sale over 8000 in fact, but sellers can sell whatever they wish to on thier ID, it up yo the buyer to  throughly check the item description and pics as to what you are purchasing, i am sure you would do that in a B&M clothing store, so why not on a online store ?

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

@favoritecat wrote:

Other people's thoughts?

I have some thoughts, but fair warning in advance - you're unlikely to like them. 

You didn't "accidentally bid" on an item, you purposefully bid on it then later regretted it when you took a closer look at what you had purchased, and the entirety of your post reads like you want to be absolved of that responsibilty, blame something - anything - else instead in order to find an out. Whatever esle the seller may or may not be selling is completely irrelevant. 

That may not be the case, it's just how the post comes across, and first thing about that is that it is 100% completely and utterly unnecessary. Instead of trying to find something the seller did "wrong" so that it's all their fault that this happened, it's generally faster and simpler to just admit to the oversight, contact the seller, tell them what happened (without saying the dog / child / neighbour's parrot somehow bid on it), and ask if they would mind cancelling the sale. Most professional sellers will simply go "thanks for contacting me, I'll process the cancellation now." No harm, no foul.

As to refusing an item if it's faulty, damaged or broken...

You only have that right if the faults, damage or breakage wasn't mentioned in the description. If it's missing a button and the seller said it's missing a button, you have no right of refund on the basis that it is missing a button. 

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

@favoritecat wrote:

I just accidentally bid and won a pair of grotty old used jeans from a high end designer brand retailer. I am a new buyer to their site and  the listings endings fly by so fast that I didnt have time to read full description. I only, wrongly ASSUMED, all the items in the several thousand plus listings, are  NEW or factory SECONDS, not used personal effects from the seller. They have millions of positive stars - for top quality items. But, really shouldn't they be listing old persoanl stuff on private separate accounts and not in the pro high end account? It just seems not only bad form but a conflict of interest. It brings down the professionalism to me. The item I got stuck with they are making difficult to cancel and it would not be allowed to be sold in a charity shop in Australia. Why its allowed on a ghi end retail outlet site is beyond me. In Oz we are told at the bottom of listings we can refuse an item is it is faulty, damaged or broken. Well, this is the case.  So I SHOULD be able to cancel the item not have to go through all the hoops and wires and red tape. Selling a person;s old trash clothing on a top end retail site: IS this ethical, lawful, good ebaying practice? Who do I gripe to about this? Not only am I stuck paying for junk but also for INTERNATIONAL postage to have it sent to me! Ouch.. Other people's thoughts?

I am confused.  You have nearly 1000 eBay feedback as a buyer and have been on eBay for years.  Only once in your Opening Post do you refer to eBay (red text).  The rest of your references are to "new buyer to their site", "positive stars", "high end retail site", "top end retail site".

So, I am left wondering whether the bolded text bits above indicate that this is not an eBay transaction.  I am interested in where on a listing it tells buyers that "we can refuse an item is if it is faulty, damaged or broken" before we have even paid for it . . . . can you show me where this is?  If you could let us know the item number (if it is an eBay listing), or post a link to the retail site, we can take a look at the jeans and offer more appropriate advice.

The other reason for my confusion is the bit at the start of your post, the bit where you write "the listings endings fly by so fast that I didnt have time to read full description".  eBay auctions run for at least 1 day, and the only reason the endings would fly by so fast would be that you mean they have listings ending every minute or so . . . . . . you only saw the listing when it had minutes to go . . . . . . . or it is not an eBay listing but a listing on a site that adds 20 secs to the time remaining every time a bid is placed.  I have watched some items on sites that do this and they do seem to fly by because the one with the least amount of time left keeps changing.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

How do you accidentally buy something? 

Were you not asked to confirm your bid /puchase?

Why do Sellers have to be held responsible for buyers remorse or laziness in not actually reading the item description?

My guess is....greed got the better of you, you saw the label and price thought it was a bargain and since it was about to end you bid and won..........then you read the description and now youre upset that its not what you expected. If I am wrong is respectfully apologise.

Having just been bit by a non paying buyer who thought BIN was simply just an "option" to purchase on an expensive item of mine I am a bit jaded by "accidental" or non performing buyers.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

@retailtherapist_8 wrote:

How do you accidentally buy something? 

reta, I agree with your post.

Someone with 948 buyer feedback received in 4 years on eBay does not accidentally buy an item.

Something's not right with the opening post IMO . . . . . . and unless the OP comes back we may never know what that is.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

I'll bet a substantial amount of money that the OP negs the seller for their own mistake. Maybe they needed "authentification" of the item they bought.

I love it when buyers don't read descriptions and then blame everyone but themselves when they discover it's not what they thought it was, even though it was in the description.

OP, thought you were getting a high priced item for bargain basement prices, did you? I thought shabby jeans were all the rage these days.

Do the right thing, admit you stuffed up. Then apologise to the seller for the delay in payment and pay for what YOU bought. The seller shouldn't have to cancel because you didn't read the description. You didn't accidentally buy anything. You entered an amount, then pressed 2 buttons to confirm the amount. Pay up.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Apologies for the horrendous typos in my last post.........my brain was working faster than my fingersSmiley Embarassed

Sir, yes lets bet there wont be a return........?

Tippy OMG you are right on......I say pay up wash'em and resell'em lol   

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply