are high-end designer pro retail sites with million+ allowed to sell their used personal effects?

I just accidentally bid and won a pair of grotty old used jeans from a high end designer brand retailer. I am a new buyer to their site and  the listings endings fly by so fast that I didnt have time to read full description. I only, wrongly ASSUMED, all the items in the several thousand plus listings, are  NEW or factory SECONDS, not used personal effects from the seller. They have millions of positive stars - for top quality items. But, really shouldn't they be listing old persoanl stuff on private separate accounts and not in the pro high end account? It just seems not only bad form but a conflict of interest. It brings down the professionalism to me. The item I got stuck with they are making difficult to cancel and it would not be allowed to be sold in a charity shop in Australia. Why its allowed on a ghi end retail outlet site is beyond me. In Oz we are told at the bottom of listings we can refuse an item is it is faulty, damaged or broken. Well, this is the case.  So I SHOULD be able to cancel the item not have to go through all the hoops and wires and red tape. Selling a person;s old trash clothing on a top end retail site: IS this ethical, lawful, good ebaying practice? Who do I gripe to about this? Not only am I stuck paying for junk but also for INTERNATIONAL postage to have it sent to me! Ouch.. Other people's thoughts?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

are high-end designer pro retail sites with million+ allowed to sell their used personal effects?

I cant reply to everyone, but did want to say something here, because this respondant accidentally assumed I refused to pay. And other like minds assumed I didnt contact the seller. Yes, I own this one, but query the whole new high end mostly, used thrift store sometimes listings when a site is coming off as a big league seller who lists on ebay (this is NOT a mom and pop shop).... I did pay because I couldn't sort out canceling with the seller for days, and could see it would take weeks before anything came out of the correspondance... and didnt want this item mixed in with purchases that were new and were what I wanted and expected from this site. I did explain to them the stuff up, on my side, I did ask to cancel, they asked me to do the cancelling, and the lousy prompts sent me back to the seller for them to cancel because appartantly ebay in different countries do it differently, which just put me in a loop, so knowing it was my bid, my stuff up for not knowing the seller also ran what now looks like a thrift store, I paid for the item but asked them not to send the item. They sent the item anyway, I sent it back RTS. Will I get my money back? Who knows. It was approved for return. So, Yes, the accident was in seeing a bargain with it having seconds to go, and bidding without time to read the full description, assuming the listing was like the many thousands of other listings on their site, and like the few I had bid on that morning that were new and I dont have to query. I was new to this seller, not to ebay, but still got caught off guard, and where I expected new  (expectations based heavily on their seller store webdesign and presentation, and the bids I did make outside of the jeans listing), I got old. Not expecting a store that was selling, what looked like, overstock from something like a US outlet like nordstorms - which is not in my country so a novelty -  was ALSO a site that sold secondhand used items out of, I assume,their employee's closets. And, by the way, they have a great webdesign and boasts top end  customer service with a tollfree number - that is for the US only, so, I couldn't tell you; overseas can't call and sort things out, which puts US residents at the advantage that they can sort things out quickly and ith a human over a phone line and not just hope emails etc do the job. ( did since see they also have a New Zealand website outside of ebay, not much use to me, either, because thats still another foreign country). So...learning curve. New to this seller and their ways, and now I know to view it basically as a REALLY BIG thrift store - which I have dealt with plenty ( but... of moderate and small sized  on ebay, and like the community so stay) so see now that there is no exception even for high end shops on ebay mixing old and new because they can. The difference is that sellers I usually buy from have anywhere from a dozen listings up to maybe a couple hundred, not thousands. And that sort of volume is what puts the pro site way out of the league of most ebayers and where you expect better. Would you buy from Macy's or Nordstroms and EXPECT a secondhand used pair of jeans? No. And for me trying to play both ends of the field when you are that big is the foul. Buying a mix of new and used from usual garden variety ebay seller, yes, you expect to see this. And thats ok. But nevertheless, I have plenty of charity shops and thrift stores in my neighborhood (but zero designer stores unless I travel four hours which is still the only realistic option for new, I have learned) and now I know they have their own ideas about what "please please dont send item" means (they havent sent the big order the jeans were separated from, but sent the jeans instead, and YES, those items were paid for as well), so I am more wary.  They haven't lost me altogether yet. I am giving it another go. Did buy a dress with an 11" tear down the back - again due to my oversight, and have learned NEVER to bid last minute in this site because everytime I end up with a dud. Not their fault I cant read their italics. Fool me once, shame on them, fool me twice, I'm the fool. OK. This second item did say it was new with faults. My gripe was just a WISH that sellers who have new designer wouldn't also play the thrift store card when their company face is all about having the best new designer clothing and wares. There will still be buyers who dont care if the items are used and will probably seek out the second hand site because they like whats on the first site. But to expect new and learn not all listings are new after the fact does rub this buyer the wrong way. The accident was in the assuming. I never said I wouldnt pay or try to sort it out. Only that I wondered about the ethics. And whether sellers who go big with their dream and boast highend quality, as this one has done, should have rethink and stick to just that, new designer. And if they want to run lisitng for used and second hand items, do it as a "seconds"  site or have a private site for their private things that come from their closet (whether it be the owner, their employee or their friends) It would make this buyer, at any rate happier, to know I can go to a "pro" site to buy new and get new. Sorry to overwhelm, I just needed to vent and maybe clarify, but maybe this reply isnt any clearer. The questions was should high end sellers who promote they are a professional top notch company who has all the new and latest fashion items also sell used, thrift store within the same site when that is NOT what the seller claims in big print  that they are all about. Seems everyone says yes, it ok and I'm the bad buyer... until they get burned as  a buyer themselves.  Thanks for the space to vent.  Peace.

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

The answer is still the same.

Yes, there will be high end sellers doing just that, possibly because they only have one account.

So it is up to the buyer to check the listing and ask questions before buying and not assume.

(I see your point though, it's easier for buyers to make that assumptive error in that scenario)

image host
Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

I am not looking for something wrong with the seller because I am a lousy online shopper (which I told you I was in my story), but my query was about mixing selling approaches: trying still be the average jo little guy who sells a hodgepodge of one off goods, but presenting as a top end multinational (because they do have offices overseas)  who has thousands of listings of new designer fashions. I am not new to ebay. but I am new to buying from this ( or any) large retailer on ebay. After my bids conclude will probably be the end of my buying big, and I will stick to the little guys.

Overall, I think what they do as a high end fashion retailer - and now multinational - is great - I like to see success stories in business. What I query is when they try to act like a single operator site selling old things to clear out a person's (not a shop's) closet, which is an image they have outgrown long ago (definately after thye hired the one hundredth employee).  When a retailer presents online, even in ebay, as a sort of online Macy's or Nordstroms, for example, you dont expect their catalog to contain smatterings of used second hand thriftshop items. Not even going into a Walmart or Target.  So you don't check and double check that the listing says NEW. My query is why is it ok for a top end retailer to do this on ebay - sell new and old together, AS IF they are a small single operator ebayer? And can you see why a buyer would feel like a chump when they buy not just some nice new clothes, but some used thrift shop items? Would you feel good about finding out you just walked out of the mall having purchased something at say JC Penny  that should have been in a thrift store?  I outed myself and I told you I was the chump for bidding too quick as the background of how buyers get tripped up... but ultimatley,  this is not about me, but how sellers present themselves overall...  at the end of the day, will ebayers who are made to feel like chumps give sellers return business down the track? No they will finish their bids, get their goods. MAYBE send feedback, if they are over feeling like a chump. But this chump will probably stick to the mom and pop ebay listers and avoid big retailers altogether on ebay.... because if the big guns are playing at being small, I don't believe them if they have 7000+ listings. And if you look at their website and they boast the newest latest brands, how can I believe them if I just bought a used old pair of jeans? Its not the buyer's fault the seller is playing at being more (or less) than they are. And you think there is no issue? It is the big picture of how this seller operates and how they are selling their image to the public. And to new buyers who werent with them as they grew, we don't know the back story until we spend HOURS doing research and homework. Something that would be called stalking if we did the same background researcher on a genuine smalltime ebayer. So hmmm. There is no fault with being twofaced, lego movie bad cop-good cop character is a great example... because it shows that eventually one of the faces will get rubbed out. And I think this applies to business as well, eventually this seller will have decide which face they will wear or someone else will decide it for them and they might not like what face the public  - or whatever powers that be - decides they should wear. I've said mine. Peace.

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

OMG!!     Did not read it all - my eyes glazed over.     Never heard of paragraphs?

If you mean to warn/advise others, it won't work.

No-one is going to read all that

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

all i read was "i'm not looking for something wrong, Peace"

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

@favoritecat wrote:

I am not looking for something wrong with the seller because I am a lousy online shopper (which I told you I was in my story), but my query was about mixing selling approaches: trying still be the average jo little guy who sells a hodgepodge of one off goods, but presenting as a top end multinational (because they do have offices overseas)  who has thousands of listings of new designer fashions. I am not new to ebay. but I am new to buying from this ( or any) large retailer on ebay. After my bids conclude will probably be the end of my buying big, and I will stick to the little guys.

Overall, I think what they do as a high end fashion retailer - and now multinational - is great - I like to see success stories in business. What I query is when they try to act like a single operator site selling old things to clear out a person's (not a shop's) closet, which is an image they have outgrown long ago (definately after thye hired the one hundredth employee).  When a retailer presents online, even in ebay, as a sort of online Macy's or Nordstroms, for example, you dont expect their catalog to contain smatterings of used second hand thriftshop items. Not even going into a Walmart or Target.  So you don't check and double check that the listing says NEW. My query is why is it ok for a top end retailer to do this on ebay - sell new and old together, AS IF they are a small single operator ebayer? And can you see why a buyer would feel like a chump when they buy not just some nice new clothes, but some used thrift shop items? Would you feel good about finding out you just walked out of the mall having purchased something at say JC Penny  that should have been in a thrift store?  I outed myself and I told you I was the chump for bidding too quick as the background of how buyers get tripped up... but ultimatley,  this is not about me, but how sellers present themselves overall...  at the end of the day, will ebayers who are made to feel like chumps give sellers return business down the track? No they will finish their bids, get their goods. MAYBE send feedback, if they are over feeling like a chump. But this chump will probably stick to the mom and pop ebay listers and avoid big retailers altogether on ebay.... because if the big guns are playing at being small, I don't believe them if they have 7000+ listings. And if you look at their website and they boast the newest latest brands, how can I believe them if I just bought a used old pair of jeans? Its not the buyer's fault the seller is playing at being more (or less) than they are. And you think there is no issue? It is the big picture of how this seller operates and how they are selling their image to the public. And to new buyers who werent with them as they grew, we don't know the back story until we spend HOURS doing research and homework. Something that would be called stalking if we did the same background researcher on a genuine smalltime ebayer. So hmmm. There is no fault with being twofaced, lego movie bad cop-good cop character is a great example... because it shows that eventually one of the faces will get rubbed out. And I think this applies to business as well, eventually this seller will have decide which face they will wear or someone else will decide it for them and they might not like what face the public  - or whatever powers that be - decides they should wear. I've said mine. Peace.

Sorry, but I can't take this seriously.

What do you mean why is it ok? I would ask how it is not ok? Sellers are independent, they don't owe anyone anything in terms of only selling [whatever one would prefer to see them selling]. The only thing they need to do is describe their items accurately.

There is no "why are they allowed" to it Smiley Frustrated or should some sellers not be allowed to list / sell whatever they want? Perhaps you're suggesting that eBay should restrict sellers to only sell certain things (nevermind the lawsuit they'd be leaving themselves open for). 

The JC Penny etc comparisons aren't as comparable as you seem to think. If I walked into a store like that and they had some clothing items on a rack, with a big sign on it saying something like "Seconds / Pre-Owned" etc, then I'd have just as much chance to be fully informed about my purchase as you did with this one - stop acting like you were duped, you just didn't pay attention. 

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

digi........ wish I could just keep my finger on the kudo button and have it keep going for that last post of yours.

I am sorry I find the whole thing absolutely ridiculous. As you said the listing would have said "pre-owned " and because the buyer didnt read it the seller is completely at fault for havinmg the nerve to list items on a site that was built on its pre owned items. How dare they!!

OP you are just too long winded and had you have paid enough attention to your hitting of buttons as you have to the war & peace diatribe you delivered this never would have happened to you.

Peace out Smiley Very Happy . ( why is there no emoticon for a dippy hippy when you want one? lol

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

I don't think you accidentally bought anything.

I suspect you were checking out this seller's listings and came across a few ending within minutes and quickly put in a bid without properly checking the whole ad. Assumed it would be an item like the others you had browsed.

That sort of thing can happen. You made a mistake in your rush, that's all.

Personally, if I had a shop and sold higher end goods, I probably wouldn't use it for my personal items but are you sure this is what happened? Some stores do sell second hand high end products as well. I've even seen second hand things on Catch of the Day.

But regardless: You bid in haste, I understand that. But once you had it, did you check the ad out at leisure?

If it really isn't what you want, just send a note to the seller to say you made a mistake, then don't pay.

You don't have to pay, no one can force you. You will most likely get a strike-it's a consequence- but it won't affect you, as long as you don't accumulate any more for a while.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

OP just refine your searches by selecting "new"  

simples Cat Wink

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

From what I could gather from your one long paragraph, which I might add was VERY difficult to read, you are still blaming the seller because you made a mistake. To be honest, what I read was "I made a mistake, blah blah blah, it's all the sellers fault, blah blah blah, high end items, blah blah blah". That's how it read. Try using paragraphs to make it easier for people to read!

You say you buy high end items. Why would you then think from a seller who sells high end items, which I'm assuming would have high end prices, that you'd get something for next to nothing? A seller on eBay can list and sell whatever they like (apart from a few restricted items which are listed clearly in the T&C's). If a seller who sells new clothes wants to list some second hand ones, they are well within their right to do so. If a seller of new clothes wants to sell some second hand car parts, that's their choice. You not liking it is going to change anything.

Having a fancy shopfront means nothing. There are plenty of sellers of low value second hand clothes that have very fancy eBay stores. Those sellers liked the idea of having a jazzy looking store and they do very well. They aren't deceiving anyone, their items are accurately listed, some have thousands of items listed. Alternatively, I have seen large scale sellers have very bland and boring looking stores. Everyone is different. It means nothing.

It sounds like you want sellers to conform to YOUR expectations and stuff all their other buyers and what they want. Not everyone is in a position to pay high end prices for high end items, so may have been chuffed to be able to get something second hand at a fraction of the cost. What you deem as rubbish could be the best thing ever to someone who can't afford new.

As for big retail stores only stocking new stuff, that's not always the case. For a long time K-Mart (I think it was) was selling second hand Levi's. Australia Post (and probably others) sells second hand iPhones. Some people like the used look, hence the fashion of faded ripped jeans that was all the rage at one stage.

If you don't like the way a seller conducts their business, the easiest thing to do is not buy from them any more. They would already have plenty of customers who are happy with the way they do business, so you not buying from them is not going to cause their demise. There are plenty of clothing sellers on eBay, both large and small, find someone else.

As for getting a refund, that's up to the seller. You didn't go through the correct procedure to get a refund, plus by your admission they accurately described the item, so if they don't want to refund, it's your loss. If a seller doesn't accept change of mind returns, which this is, there's not much you can do about it I'm afraid. You can't even force the issue by then claiming not as described, because it was as described and you've already admitted in messages that it was you that made a mistake. The best you can hope for is refund of item price and you lose whatever you paid in postage costs both ways.

Lesson learned, don't jump the gun. If you do, it's your own fault, not that of the sellers. I really wish buyers would do more than just look at the title and the photo. We sellers spend a lot of time doing descriptions, which can take a lot of time, it would be nice if buyers actually read them, instead of looking at the title, then blaming the seller when it's not what they thought it was.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply