crippled options

anakowi
Community Member

I don't understand why the option to contact message the seller is "greyed out".  I don't want to leave negative feedback without asking "why part of the purchase is missing" in the package received. Strangely the parcel I received, ordered and paid for via ebay, came via Amazon Prime (box, stickers and printed note inside)? The annoying part is that I specifically chose the "store" item as it offered, as pictured in the description, 100 T-pins, but then received only 51. While I could open a "request" to return the item on this basis, which is NOT what I want to do, I can't message the seller?!?!? Why?
Overall my experience as an ebay buyer has been less positive in the last 12 months and I find I'm more inclined to shop with genuine retailers with whom I  can have a more nuanced exchange in communication.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: crippled options

Sounds like your seller is drop shipping. Whilst not against the rules per se, I believe that drop shipping from Amazon is not permitted as sellers are not allowed to list items that are fulfilled by third party shippers (compared to actual drop shipping which is buying direct from the wholesaler/manufacturer). 

Not sure why you can't message seller - sellers cannot block a buyer with whom they have a current transaction. Are you using the app, or a desktop browser?

In all honesty, there's not much point in negotiating with the seller. When possible, open a dispute for Item Not as Described (you have 30 days from receipt). If the seller wants it back, they will need to send an Australian postage label, or postage funds (if registered overseas). Do not return anything at your cost. If the seller does not want it, they must refund you.

Don't close the case until you have a refund. 

I do think it is better to buy directly from Australian b&m stores, or their online equivalents anyway. Support the Aus economy where you can.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

what is the item number?

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

@anakowi wrote:

I don't understand why the option to contact message the seller is "greyed out".

Are you talking about the drop-down menu for "more actions" on your purchase history for the item ?

Is that where the "contact seller" option is greyed out ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Sounds like your seller is drop shipping. Whilst not against the rules per se, I believe that drop shipping from Amazon is not permitted as sellers are not allowed to list items that are fulfilled by third party shippers (compared to actual drop shipping which is buying direct from the wholesaler/manufacturer). 

Not sure why you can't message seller - sellers cannot block a buyer with whom they have a current transaction. Are you using the app, or a desktop browser?

In all honesty, there's not much point in negotiating with the seller. When possible, open a dispute for Item Not as Described (you have 30 days from receipt). If the seller wants it back, they will need to send an Australian postage label, or postage funds (if registered overseas). Do not return anything at your cost. If the seller does not want it, they must refund you.

Don't close the case until you have a refund. 

I do think it is better to buy directly from Australian b&m stores, or their online equivalents anyway. Support the Aus economy where you can.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Thank you to all the responders. 

When I checked again, after initiating a return, the "send message", button was active.

I've now used both avenues to contact the seller, who has accepted a "return" but hasn't responded to my request to send the missing box of pins. It leaves me wondering if they misunderstood my request -- "english language" ?

While it's tempting to select on price alone, I usually compare similar items to give me an indication of quality control and shop setup. Then i filter by country and point of manufacture if possible. It's usually not hard to find the sellers that put in the effort and factor in their costs. So, yes I do like to support local sellers and I appreciate that freight and other overheads affect their pricing. I'd rather pay that bit extra and I hope that it helps genuine sellers to stay in the marketplace. 

Ebay is failing to provide the tools that continue to improve trade, to their detriment. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

You have opened a return case.

There is no option but to return what you've received.

The seller is not going to send you the missing parts.

Speaking English has nothing to do with it.

Return the item using the supplied label.  Do not pay for the return yourself.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

You don't get to have it both ways.

If the seller has accepted the return, they they pay for a postage label and will refund upon receipt.

You don't get to return and also get the missing pins.

Just to add - you need to go by where the seller is REGISTERED, not where item location is. Based on their country of registration, they will not be able to send a label if they are overseas. This has nothing to do with how you filter items you're looking at.

Can you give us the item number?

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply