'did the item arrive by' date in feedback

when i go to leave fb for a seller, it asks 'did the item arrive by (date)'. So if i choose no even if i'm happy with the arrival timeframe, does it affect the sellers rating? if it does i would rather tell a white lie & say yes it arrived on time.

Message 1 of 52
Latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: 'did the item arrive by' date in feedback

If you select no, then the seller gets a late shipment defect. If they get too many of them, eBay restrict their account. You're either better off not ticking anything, or if it's only a day or 2 after the estimate, tick yes. As a seller myself, I tick yes regardless. I figure it counteracts the no's that other may put. Often people will only tick if it's late. So, a seller could have 1000 on time, and 10 late. If the 10 late tick no, and none of the 1000 tick yes, it could shut the seller down.

Message 11 of 52
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

How do you know what your buyers left? I haven't seen anything that tells me that.

Seller Hub > scroll down to where it lists your performance stats (should say 'Seller level (Region: Global), or similar).

If any buyer has said 'no', the rate will show there. Click the link and on the next page, expand the heading for late shipment. There will be a link that says "get full report". If you click the link, the next page will show you the transactions (they don't show user ID, but they do show items that were purchased, plus exact date and time they were sold, so even if you've sold 100's of that item, you can just look at the purchase history of that item and see the buyer's ID there). 

Just for some general clarification - late shipments affect the seller in so far as they might lose top rated status, but as I've mentioned countless times before they are not defects, and a seller can not have their account restricted due to late shipments. If a seller hits 10% late delivery, the worst that can happen is that ebay will adjust what handling times they can select.

This is a direct copy/ paste from the seller standards page:

"If your late shipment rate exceeds 10%, we may restrict the options you have available for handling times. However, this won't cause you to drop "Below Standard"."

Message 12 of 52
Latest reply

Fair enough. I haven't had any late shipments, even with half my sales going untracked, so there is nothing to see. Good to know though.

Message 13 of 52
Latest reply

@barney_rubbles wrote:

thats a hell of an accusation do you have any grounds for it? well i hope at least they are using protection 🙂

No protection needed lol,I don't accuse I just state the facts Woman Wink

Message 14 of 52
Latest reply

I find just about everything I buy these days arrives within the expected time so I can just tick yes, and I do as it is also feedback of a sort to the seller that their handling time is set right.

If an item arrived eg a day or so after it was expected, I would not answer that question at all. That's because I don't want to confirm to ebay or the seller that that time line was correct because that's misleading, it wasn't. But I would rather not answer in case it does affect a seller's account.

However, if a seller does not (in the my ebay section) mark an item as posted for quite a while and if it arrives clearly out of the expected time frame, I am perfectly prepared to mark No.

The pivotal point for me is when it was posted. If i can see evidence it was sent off quickly enough but Aust Post was a fraction slower than usual, no comment at all. If Aust Post was quick but the item was posted later than I would expect, then I think No is appropriate.

But as i say, rarely an issue these days. I know I am in a minority of one hereSmiley Happy but oh boy, I just love that ebay introduced ETA as before that, it was hit or miss if you got anything within 2-3 weeks.

Message 15 of 52
Latest reply

Sellers can only see the transactions where 'no' was marked (i.e. they can't see any kind of ratio for yes to no, or when it's left blank).

Handling time also doesn't always factor into it - mine is set to 2 days, so on listings the ETA is usually at least 2-6 days away, but often it changes once I mark as shipped. One of my late deliveries is for an item that was sent to WA, I marked it as sent the same day it was purchased, and the ETA automatically adjusted to within 4 days. 

Message 16 of 52
Latest reply

i've noticed lately some of the high volume sellers are marking the item as posted soon after i've paid, or at least thats what the ebay notifications would indicate, as in getting an email from ebay saying 'order update..your item is on its way'.

I guess they are doing that to try & prevent buyers marking the item as having arrived after the estimated date, just in case theres a delay in the post system.......smart 😉

Message 17 of 52
Latest reply

@barney_rubbles wrote:

I guess they are doing that to try & prevent buyers marking the item as having arrived after the estimated date, just in case theres a delay in the post system.......smart 😉

Maybe I'm missing something, but how would that prevent buyers saying "yes" to a late arrival ???

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 18 of 52
Latest reply

because wouldn't the amount of time in the estimated arrival time be maximised? let say if i sell an item that has an estimated arrival date of 7 days then i mark it as posted 3 days before i actually post it then doesnt that make the arrival estimate the whole 7 days instead of 4? or doesn't it work like that?

Message 19 of 52
Latest reply

Barney,  it works on the sale date/seller's handling time, not the posted date.

Spoiler
Beat ya to it, Padi
Message 20 of 52
Latest reply