does eBay follow up reports of counterfeit items?

As most people know, there are many fake designer bags on eBay. I recently contacted a seller advising that the Chanel bag she had listed was a fake and that the serial number on the 'authenticity card'  was a known and documentted fake serial number. Google 10218184 will verify this.

The seller did not reply, but ended the auction even though it still had just over 2 days to run, and sold the bag to the highest bidder for $2,000. An admission of guilt?

The sale of counterfeit items is a criminal offence. I feel for the buyer; some just don't realise there are people out there that will take advantage of their ignorance.

Right after I contacted the seller, I also reported the item to eBay.

I cannot identify the seller here, obviously, and sincerely hope that eBay will contact the seller and refund the money to the buyer. I won't be holding my breath however. But, you never know, has anyone ever received a reply from eBay after reporting a seller for acting against eBay policy?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: does eBay follow up reports of counterfeit items?

@michellebartley wrote:

Are you 100% sure that this Chanel bag was a fake. What idiot in their right mind would pay $2,000 for a piece of junk. I wouldnt believe what Google said either.

I would say it is authentic, someone paying that amount of money would do all the background checks first. Mind boggling to say the least.

People pay big money for fakes all the time. And if the code quoted is a known fake there is a very good chance the bag is also a fake.

The art is in the pricing. Sell it cheap and people will think it's fake. Sell it at 'real' price and people (like you do) will think it's real. And probably be too embarassed to try a claim as it would be admission of their massive lack of judgement/due diligence.

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

Well more fool them for buying it.
Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:
Well more fool them for buying it.

...........................says the person that regularly flouts Australian Quarantine laws..................sheesh.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

And in their previous post said it must be real otherwise the seller wouldn't ask for real value.

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

Of course it's real, it's on the internet. More importantly, it's on eBay. No one on eBay would sell fake items.

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

The answer to your question is basically no.

I used to report counterfeit items until the time (recently) when one Seller had 20+ counterfeit watches listed (Rolex, Hublot, Rado, etc.), actually had it stated, albeit in small font in the middle of a long convoluted description but, obvious when pointed out, that they were copy watches.  I reported each item around 4 days prior to auction end and not one was removed.

Total start price of items as listed was $100K+, after finishing sale price of 2 only items was circa $18K.  Based on experience, total cost of all listed items would have been $1K to $1.5K maximum.  Good return for selling junk.

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

One mans junk is another mans treasure Woman Indifferent

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

boggo58
Community Member

Ebay wont get back to you, this was part of their reply after i reported some one:

Ebay can’t discuss the results of our investigation or any action we took. Hopefully this will assure you that we’ll also keep your account information private.

We may not be able to send a follow-up regarding the results of the investigation, however, I assure you that we will be taking appropriate actions on their account based on our site rules after the investigation is done for the members account. Many of these actions can't be seen by other eBay members, so we may have taken action even if it's not apparent.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

I recently reported a couple of items, fake Yeezy 350s but it looks like ebay is going to let the sellers sell them to unsuspecting buyers even though they are obviously fakes. The fake reciepts are well known fakes to those who know. Unfortunately the reporting mechanism for ebay allows only limited characters that doesn't allow enough space to provide enough evidence. My son is a sneaker head so I suppose I object to people defrauding young peope who have saved their money for a limited edition item. To say that people who get duped deserve it is unfair. 

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

Only the rights owner can take action with ebay.

You might be a competitor for all ebay knows.

If you are concerned, then you should contact the rights owner to have the

listings taken down

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/tp/vero-rights-owner.html#report

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply