eBay Plus is a hidden scam that I uncovered which adds additional charges on shipping

I recently joined eBay Plus on a promotion offer for $4.99 for 12 months  

I have now noticed that if I buy goods on eBay, that have a separate shipping cost like for example $9 shipping for an item , that when your log in to eBay that the shipping price increases by $3 to $12 .

I can buy goods cheaper as a guest on checkout on eBay because they add additional hidden cost to make their money.

I have proven this by looking at many items on eBay that had separate shipping cost where I logout of eBay and also cleared all my cookies in the browser ( if you dont clear the cookies in your browser whilst logged out you will still get higher shipping cost) and the shipping cost was always a few dollars cheaper than when I logged into my account.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: eBay Plus is a hidden scam that I uncovered which adds additional charges on shipping

Just ran multiple postcodes through the listing,  signed in/ebayplus/guest all same results.

PC                              Postage Rate

2000                         $9

2700                          $12

3000                         $12

4000                         $12

4700                          $18

5000                         $12

5700                          $18

6000                          $28

Message 21 of 24
Latest reply

Re: eBay Plus is a hidden scam that I uncovered which adds additional charges on shipping

I am in Melbourne and postage is showing to me at $12, standard.

What interested me is that in one screenshot, shown when robO logged in as guest, the postage was showing as $9 for express post.

Were the screenshots taken some days apart or on the same day? The estimated delivery dates don't match at all, which is why I ask. You'd think if robO is in Sydney, close to the item location, then when he/she was logged in, the postage would show as cheaper and quicker than a guest log in.

I suspect any postage cost is based purely on buyer location.

I can't see why on earth a buyer being a member of ebay plus would make any difference to a non ebay plus item.

The bottom line in this is it is not in ebay's interests at all to raise postage on any item. In fact quite the opposite. They want sales.

Message 22 of 24
Latest reply

@rob01ert wrote:

Even more prove of this scam, I just bought this item for $9 shipping checking out as a guest.

( instead of paying $12 as a Ebay plus member if I was logged on - Item does not have to be eBay plus item to have additional shipping cost as eBay hiding the cost from both the buyer and seller 

PS I think you've picked up a bargain, by the way, it looks like a great little item. I'm tempted myself!

Message 23 of 24
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

PS I think you've picked up a bargain, by the way, it looks like a great little item. I'm tempted myself!

I am tempted too, Springy, but I am worried about their use of a courier because (as I have said before) I had a lot of problems with Aramex... Maybe I can ask them which courier they use...

Message 24 of 24
Latest reply