eBay and HUBBED don't seem to talk to each other for returns

hqphil
Community Member

I bought a car part on eBay. It didn't fit my car, even though I sent VIN to seller and they said all good - it will fit. I sent photographic evidence that it is the wrong part. A return was raised. eBay asked that I print off a shipping label (for TOLL, interestingly) but clearly instructed that I drop off at a HUBBED location. First location I tried said the package was too big, approx 1.2m long, 0.8m wide and .3m deep and no more than 5kg (roughly the size of a small car door card). So I tried using the chat fucntion at HUBBED, who told me the package was too big and to contact eBay.

eBay is a cunning and clever enterprise. It is a company that has introduced clear paths of no communication with its users, with the ultimate goal of maximising profitability, irrespective of consumer rights or guarantees.  I can't contact eBay, so I guess the next step is the ACCC.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: eBay and HUBBED don't seem to talk to each other for returns

hqphil
Community Member

So did you reduce the package size

No. I threw away the cardboard it came in, but replaced with similar cardboard covering the same surface area (approximately).

99cm  x55cm  x30cm  is not oversize

So why did the HUBBED agent refuse to accept it? She took one look at it from about 4.0 metres away (my estimate, but I can get back with something better if I go back with a tape measure), said no, only small packages accepted for returns, indicating with her hands a width of approx 25cm (sorry, I didn't get the exact measurement).

but this is a lot smaller than your original stated measurements

Yes. I just trusted that given the (re)package was almost exactly the same size as the original package, and that I had been given directions on returning, a shipping label to print out, etc, that I would not have to get out a tape measure (or weight scales) and be so specific. Obviously, I was wrong.

The 'help' button on the eBay page is full of dead ends, it is not an easy thing to get to a live chat. That's because it does not serve eBay to make it easy. Why would it?

And back to my original point folks. An eBay return is a lot harder than it should be, which reduces my confidence in buying on eBay. No-one seems very interested anywhere about trying to see this doesn't happen again, it's more like a bit of shoulder shrugging and that this bloke clearly doesn't know which way is up. If the agent just took my parcel, I wouldn't be here, I would be on eBay, three clicks in, and wow I bought something already, and it's on its way, just like that!!!

Aliexpress anyone?

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

forget about the parcel as you seem to be confused with sizes, etc.

Did you contact the ACCC because you cant contact Ebay, something everyone else seems to be able to do.

This was the whole point of your thread,  whats the outcome?

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

I do not think they can find the phone number.

I can see their return timing out.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

It is actually oversize if lodged for return via hubbed locations.  and is required to be lodged direct with toll.

Maximum  size via hubbed   is 120 cubic cm, with no measurement to exceed 96cm.

Do you want to know how to contact Toll.

Just for your info,  such info is extremely easy to access, just like ebay  CS.

Are there limitations on the types of parcels I can drop off at HUBBED drop-off locations?
Yes, any parcel up to 10 kg and satchels up to 5 kg can be dropped off at HUBBED drop-off locations. Furthermore, the longest side of every parcel cannot exceed 96cm. You can drop off shipments weighing more than 10 kg, along with your documents, at a Toll depot location.
Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

That is wrong - there is no option to contact Ebay. 'Help' takes you nowhere. the AI assistant takes you nowhere. Ebay are not able to be contacted.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

I started a return, got slotted into Hubbed - there are no Hubbed agents in the area. Cannot get a hold of Ebay, cannot find anyone who can offer a solution and if I cancel the return, I get no refund - if I don't send it in two weeks, I get no refund. I am reporting it to Fair Trading.

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

Other than waiting almost a year to say it is wrong.................

It is not wrong

You need to keep scrolling as far as is required and if nothing matches exactly, pick the closest match and go from there

And it is only available during normal business hours

If one insists on talking to eBay cs, that is. Who read from pre-written scripts

Rather than asking other members who know eBay policy and how eBay works 

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

Why can't you just call eBay like the good old day. Saved a lot of hassles. Everything is orientated to robot chats and press this for that etc. Then there is a warning not to go off the handle if you do get through or they may terminate the call. If they have to do that then it says to me there is a real problem. Besides, not all of us are typists. I feel so sorry for the elderly trying to navigate the new world of electronics.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

@ratman0100 wrote:

Then there is a warning not to go off the handle if you do get through or they may terminate the call. If they have to do that then it says to me there is a real problem. .

Sorry but a lot of calls centres where you speak to a real human, now have exactly the same warning,  and knowing someone who manages one,  their staff have being given permission to terminate calls under certain conditions.

Sadly it is required in todays day and age.   Apparently most of the terminations are from people who run the adage ''the customer is always right''  even though they aren't, and get grumpy when it is pointed out they are not covered for such and such,  but as happens here most complaints are because people havent read the T&C's.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply