eBay buyer made a offer on my BIN sale & I accepted. A buyer purchased item while offer was pending?

This is a serious glitch on eBay purchases when a offer is pending. I have a very irate buyer, who made me a offer and I accepted and replied to him. The buyer has 2 days to reply and accept offer and he got back to me in less than 8 hours. I tried to edit my eBay listing to "out of stock", so I could save it for buyer and no one could see listing but me. However, eBay blocks you from editing the page and a new buyer in the mean time purchased and paid on the "Buy It Now" item 1 hour before the buyer with the pending offer got back to me.

I did contact eBay and basically was told that the "Buy It Now" purchase preceeded the pending accepted offer and was legal.

So, keep in mind if you make a offer on a "Buy It Now" transaction and it's accepted mutually by both parties, it is not binding and anyone can make a purchase before you reply.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: eBay buyer made a offer on my BIN sale & I accepted. A buyer purchased item while offer was

When using the Best Offer feature, if an offer or counter-offer is accepted by either the buyer or seller, the item is immediately sold, so it sounds like the offer wasn't actually officially accepted by anyone? 

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Re: eBay buyer made a offer on my BIN sale & I accepted. A buyer purchased item while offer was

Not a glitch.  That is the way it is supposed to work.  It is not uncommon for buyers not to complete transactions, even after an offer

is accepted.  Also you could have increased the BIN price to  make the item un-attractive to any other potential buyers.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

was the offer through the listing or through an eBay message?

Offers that are accepted through the listing normally result in the listing ending.  If the member made an offer and you accepted then there is no 2 day window for the member to accept your acceptance, unless you made a counteroffer that was negotiated via messages before being made.  That would explain why there was a “pending” offer.

Did your listing require immediate payment?  Immediate payment may explain why someone else was able to come along and buy-now.  Items that are immediate payment remain available until payment is made.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Best Offer item remain available until the buyer actually hits the Buy Button.

If a counter offer is sent by the seller the item is not sold until the buyer accepts the counter offer.

While offers and counter offers are being negotiated the item is still for sale and can be bought by anyone....the sale does not go on hold just because the seller is negotiating with the buyer.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

there has been an ability for ‘offers through eBay message’ but I personally haven’t used it.  That’s why I asked the OP if the offer was through listing or messages.

I have previously used ask-a-question to negotiate a price that would be accepted through a best-offer, but haven’t gone away from my computer while this is being done.  Haven’t tried it since the eBay paranoia over off-eBay sales set in.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

You are correct. The buyer wanted the postage to be included in offer, so I revised the offer and it must be the reason why it was pending.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

That's the risk people take when they try to negotiate the price down. If your (non)buyer is irate, that is down to them for

a) trying to save a buck, and

b) being slow about it.

They have no right to expect to be able to make an offer in the first place if the item doesn't have 'best offer'  enabled.

They have learnt that somebody else was prepared to buy the item at the asking price. Maybe they should have done so themselves.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@kkanga43 wrote:

You are correct. The buyer wanted the postage to be included in offer, so I revised the offer and it must be the reason why it was pending.

well, the good news is that you ended up with more $ for your item AND the member who was slow to accept and missed out can not leave you any feedback.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@kkanga43 wrote:

This is a serious glitch on eBay purchases when a offer is pending. I have a very irate buyer, who made me a offer and I accepted and replied to him. The buyer has 2 days to reply and accept offer and he got back to me in less than 8 hours. I tried to edit my eBay listing to "out of stock", so I could save it for buyer and no one could see listing but me. However, eBay blocks you from editing the page and a new buyer in the mean time purchased and paid on the "Buy It Now" item 1 hour before the buyer with the pending offer got back to me.

I did contact eBay and basically was told that the "Buy It Now" purchase preceeded the pending accepted offer and was legal.

So, keep in mind if you make a offer on a "Buy It Now" transaction and it's accepted mutually by both parties, it is not binding and anyone can make a purchase before you reply.

I read of lots of serious glitches on ebay but I don't think this is one of them.

What happened was your item sold for the higher price. You should be doing a happy dance.

I've no experience as a seller with using 'best offer' but as a buyer, I have occasionally made offers. If the seller accepts them, they seem to be immediate sales. But I imagine the crux of the matter here seems to be the fact the terms of the original ad had changed and the buyer had not made that formal acceptance.

They can be as irate as they like but it's irrelevant. It's the quick or the dead. Ebay system sold to the first person to commit to buy.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply