how do i get my money back from a seller when ebay and paypal wont help ?

i bought a phone and the seller refunded the money and asked me to pay as a friend instead of for goods which i did without thinking ..

they then changed the price on it and it still comes up under my name at the lower price aswell as the price i paid ebay and paypal wont do anything about it even though i still used paypal to pay for it  what can i do ?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

You could try phoning Paypal, but since you used the "pay to friend" option I doubt if they will reconsider their stand on not refunding you. Phones and other electronic goods are not the best things to buy on-line unless they are from a reputable seller.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I am a bit confused here.....did you actually get the phone or not?  Is it as described?

Not sure what changing prices has to do with anything?

There is no paypal protection for friends/family transfers.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

i did not get the phone

changing prices would effect how much they pay to ebay  which would put it as trying to defraud ebay of the correct charges

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Look at whats happened now though,the seller has just defrauded you instead.

Why on earth would you agree to what this seller asked you to do?

Your only hope is to ask the seller to send the phone in good faith but I don't think that will happen.

Put this down to a lapse in judgement and move on as you won't get any sympathy from PayPal or ebay.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

@namechance wrote:

i bought a phone and the seller refunded the money and asked me to pay as a friend instead of for goods which i did without thinking ..

they then changed the price on it and it still comes up under my name at the lower price aswell as the price i paid ebay and paypal wont do anything about it even though i still used paypal to pay for it  what can i do ?

How did you fund the payment? If you used a credit card, is the option of a chargeback available to you through the bank? 

You can also report the seller here: https://www.cyber.gov.au/report

The chances of that report getting your money back are low, but all of the information you provide about the seller is passed on to law enforcement, and the record is permanent.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

@namechance wrote:

i did not get the phone

changing prices would effect how much they pay to ebay  which would put it as trying to defraud ebay of the correct charges

And instead you paid via a unsafe payment method that has no protection for you and they have defrauded you

instead.

Never ever pay a seller with an unsafe payment method as you are the one that will likely be scammed.

If they are an Aussie seller you can use the online fraud reporting option but if they are from overseas then you

have no options unless paid by credit card as neither Paypal or eBay are responsible for your mistake.

The reason eBay wants you to pay via the site and use Paypal is so that you have buyer protection and any

seller that asks for a change of payment will most likely be out to scam you.good.gif

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@namechance wrote:

How did you fund the payment? If you used a credit card, is the option of a chargeback available to you through the bank? 

You can also report the seller here: https://www.cyber.gov.au/report

The chances of that report getting your money back are low, but all of the information you provide about the seller is passed on to law enforcement, and the record is permanent.

Can OP report the seller?

OP paid via PayPal using the pay a friend.

And as far as the seller is concerned they refunded OP

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

The seller refunded the original payment and then asked to be paid again - using the pay a friend option.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

Can OP report the seller?

Of course - the classification of the PayPal payment doesn't negate anything, or mean fraud hasn't been committed. What matters is that a sale contract was created and only one party fulfilled their end of the contract (this is an assumption on my part - explained further below). 

The buyer gave the seller money (doesn't matter how), in exchange for goods, those goods were not received (I am of course also presuming a couple of other things, such as no proof of shipping was ever provided, and the seller has been unwilling to help resolve the matter with the buyer). 

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply